News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

True. They've hidden away Ann Morrow and the C List sitcom stars, at least for now.

But they're still doing that stupid thing where they spend a huge chunk of time showing the product in unflattering light and droning on about how clever they were for building this fake Star Wars hotel behind a Florida theme park.

Instead of pretending this is real and only communicating to potential customers as representatives of Chandrila Star Lines living within their own universe, they are standing there as hipster 2020's Imagineers bragging about how fake it is.
That's the dumbest and most narcissistic marketing strategy for an "immersive adventure" I've ever seen. :banghead:
Did that hipster's forearm tattoo bug the crap out of anyone else?

Last edited:

Smooth

The biggest mistake (and I stand behind it being the biggest) is the confusing marketing switch from "hotel experience" to "2-night adventure." Ann Morrow Johnson said recently in a podcast (from InPark Magazine) it is not a hotel and even thanks the host of the podcast for asking "What is Galactic Starcruiser?" weeks out from its opening...yikes.

This mishap has produced high expectations (especially with the price point) as Disney KNOWS (knew?) resort hotels and entertainment. Throw them together and it will print money. And I truly believe if this was being treated as a hotel internally, this would've gone off without a hitch. It's why their literal cruise wing of the company is so beloved. This is live theatre with a bed and food (because they have to provide it).

When I see this from the lens of "Immersive Theatre" (a la Sleep No More in NYC), I can get behind how innovative and brilliant this concept is—you're elevating live theatre to an elongated show format. However, even WITH the price point, I'm lost. And saying 'the market of those that love immersive theatre with the money to burn is small' is a vast understatement. Throw the extra filter of Star Wars fans and the pool is even smaller.

I can't see this succeeding as a long-term investment. And it is, once again, a corporate decision for short term gain, as opposed to a polished product for long-term sustainability. My head already hurts thinking about the training that will have to go into all of the roles for this "show" —but alas, popcorn is at the ready and March is gonna be a wonderful show to watch from afar.
I thought it didn't have a pool?! :p

TikibirdLand

The whole root problem here is everything they’ve built for Star Wars is set in three of the worst sequels ever made and another spinoff movie that bombed at the box office and was DOA…

because Disney shamefully didn’t understand Star Wars at all. And then they proved it.

So in rare “corporate synergy”…they approved about $2 billion in park adds based on those bad movies before they even saw them…and took forever to build them - the complete anti-classic Disney approach. So you get overpriced, predetermined stinkers.

sorry…I’ll try to be less honest/more “magical” next time. Have a good weekend.
Didn't Walt approve Sleeping Beauty Castle while the move was still in production. See? Synergy!

TikibirdLand

No. Looks worse.
Just got done seeing Peter and Kitra's video. Honestly don't know what to think of it. I know they're Star Wars fan couple and we heard both positive and negative about Disney's treatment of Batuu. But, it was mostly positive. But, they're practically gushing over this experience. I smell something fishy in their overview. Yet, they say they're plunking down $4K for this experience. Am I a conspiracy theorist thinking Disney either paid for the video below or there was some financial quid pro quo going on here?

I guess I'll watch their content and judge by it. Certain other bloggers that are known to be putting their own money down -- that Disney shows their open distain for -- will be there as well. Maybe between them all, we'll get some balanced opinions. Still not quite sure if we will...

lentesta

Premium Member
Sorry, did it say "Mandatory Dance Lessons held at blaster point?" You can "get out of it." Don't do it. Stand and watch. Go back to your room or the bar. Shame they seem to be having trouble finding actors for this thing because there's no end of drama-queens here.

(Note- I like Len and I'm sure he's just making a joke, I'm just jumping in before this gets interpreted into the extreme.)

I can’t dance, so this makes me very uncomfortable. But I’m paying $5,000 of my own money, and it’s my job, so I’m doing it. In the overall scheme of things, not a big deal.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Just got done seeing Peter and Kitra's video. Honestly don't know what to think of it. I know they're Star Wars fan couple and we heard both positive and negative about Disney's treatment of Batuu. But, it was mostly positive. But, they're practically gushing over this experience. I smell something fishy in their overview. Yet, they say they're plunking down $4K for this experience. Am I a conspiracy theorist thinking Disney either paid for the video below or there was some financial quid pro quo going on here?

I guess I'll watch their content and judge by it. Certain other bloggers that are known to be putting their own money down -- that Disney shows their open distain for -- will be there as well. Maybe between them all, we'll get some balanced opinions. Still not quite sure if we will...

I have always thought they have horrible tastes in....well, just about everything. They are total blind Disney fans. The worse kind. Bet you they buy one of those new Disney Homes in California.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry, did it say "Mandatory Dance Lessons held at blaster point?" You can "get out of it." Don't do it. Stand and watch. Go back to your room or the bar. Shame they seem to be having trouble finding actors for this thing because there's no end of drama-queens here.

(Note- I like Len and I'm sure he's just making a joke, I'm just jumping in before this gets interpreted into the extreme.)

Fake death.
…still looks like DVC pool games at Saratoga, kids

So Over It

God, they keep making it look worse.

No. Looks worse.
Sorry, but gotta disagree with this.
While the new advertisement still doesn't make this look like an experience worth 6k, it certainly is an improvement over this.
21822s.jpg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
at least this one doesn't make you cringe... it's a start!
I not only cringed, I was shaking my head through at least half of it. It took them years to write this “story”. They had years to do this right. And this was the best they could come up with, because they’re so convinced they know how to do “Star Wars storytelling”. This only convinces me that their collective heads are up their collective you-know-what. They don’t understand how to tell a compelling story nor do they understand Star Wars.

sedati

Peter created the move review site /Film. Their videos are mostly positive, but they clearly go to have fun. They've been open about what is and isn't paid for. They do run into things they don't like and will say so.
But...
They...
Move...
On...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom