News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MoonRakerSCM

The video is certainly better than the last other disaster, but it is still off and reveals that there is no substance for them to show.

Why are they spending time in this video going on about how the ship is time locked with Star wars land in between last two movies? What a pointless detail that doesn't matter.

There has been absolutely nothing shown that has been mind-blowing or fantastical looking to have buzz around it. Not one, single, thing.

What is concerning me is where are the teams of imagineers and designers showing off how proud they are of what they've created? We got two losers telling us how amazing it is without showing us anything amazing.

Considering the price point that this is at Disney should be head over heels in promoting it as a crown jewel of the worldwide entertainment industry... Yet we end up with two pencil pusher position employees explaining how the ship is time locked between two moderately to badly received movies.

If this turns out to be an utter disaster like every single thing is indicating, I hope that this is a serious kick in the pants for Disney as they are in bad need of one.

TP2000

The only thing that might help is looks like they turn down the lights while the bridge activities is going on. It doesn't look as crisp then. View attachment 622165
It definitely looks better under those lighting conditions.

As a man of, ahem, a certain age, I can confirm that things look better with dim lighting. But that doesn't mean the product in the dim lighting is actually good. It may have been great in 1977, but in 2022 it's not... good.

We're still talking about fake Star Wars hotels, right? ;)

This would be far more effective.

Stranger Things did this with their fake 80s mall ad and people went crazy over it -- and that was for a TV show that people were already invested in and thus didn't really need to attract new viewers.

There was so much potential to market this concept purely as only the in-universe Chandrila Star Lines marketing department could do. But they failed, or more accurately, they didn't even try. Instead we get a roundtable of WDI ladies who have apparently never seen a single Star War, a perky Imagineer with a suspicously odd first name like Ann Morrow, an annoying C List sitcom actor, and Burbank's lone Cool Dad executive who can fit into skinny jeans. :rolleyes:

Did that hipster's forearm tattoo bug the crap out of anyone else?

It wasn't just you. That kind of Portland Circa 2014 crap bugs me too. It's so tiresome and painfully curated.

Again, instead of a Chandrila Star Lines cruise director telling us about the Halcyon, we have that lame 38-year-old-trying-to-still-look-29 hipster from Glendale humblebragging about the fake hotel he helped make.

This entire thing is such a slow motion train wreck.

It's honestly unlike anything I've seen from Disney since Light Magic. But at least with Light Magic in 1997, they didn't release official YouTube videos to make themselves look like idiots before the thing even opens.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

As a man of, ahem, a certain age, I can confirm that things look better with dim lighting. But that doesn't mean the product in the dim lighting is actually good. It may have been great in 1977, but in 2022 it's not... good.

We're still talking about fake Star Wars hotels, right? ;)

There was so much potential to market this concept purely as only the in-universe Chandrila Star Lines marketing department could do. But they failed, or more accurately, they didn't even try. Instead we get a roundtable of WDI ladies who have apparently never seen a single Star War, a perky Imagineer with a suspicously odd first name like Ann Morrow, an annoying C List sitcom star, and Burbank's lone Cool Dad executive who can fit into skinny jeans. :rolleyes:

It wasn't just you. That kind of Portland Circa 2014 crap bugs me too. It's so tiresome and painfully curated.

Again, instead of a Chandrila Star Lines cruise director telling us about the Halcyon, we have that lame 38-year-old-trying-to-still-look-29 hipster from Glendale humblebragging about the fake hotel he made.

This entire thing is such a slow motion train wreck.

It's honestly unlike anything I've seen from Disney since Light Magic. But at least with Light Magic in 1997, they didn't release official YouTube videos to make themselves look like idiots before the thing even opens.

And he kept doing this odd movement with his hands as he spoke. They really need to screen test these people before they put them in their world wide advertisements.

TP2000

If this turns out to be an utter disaster like every single thing is indicating, I hope that this is a serious kick in the pants for Disney as they are in bad need of one.

I couldn't agree with you more. And yet...

This is a relatively small capital outlay and minor project. It's not like DCA circa 2001. It's just a lightly landscaped warehouse next to a freeway cloverleaf behind the CM parking lot. The interior is custom built, but as we've seen from their own media it's not that impressive or extravagant.

In the big ballgame of a multi-Billion dollar company like today's "Disney", this will be relatively easy to abandon and write off when it flops and stops booking reservations by 2023. Easy to bury and repurpose the building for a training facility, or new offices for HR, or a nice crash pad for CM's working back-to-back 12 hour shifts with only a 7 hour turnaround. They can even sell the CM uniforms to a dentist's office in Kissimmee, to save Chapek some money and pride.

Unlike a theme park, or even a once-in-a-generation new night parade, this will be easy to abandon and pretend it never existed. Like Disney Institute, or Club Disney.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The video is certainly better than the last other disaster, but it is still off and reveals that there is no substance for them to show.

Why are they spending time in this video going on about how the ship is time locked with Star wars land in between last two movies? What a pointless detail that doesn't matter.

There has been absolutely nothing shown that has been mind-blowing or fantastical looking to have buzz around it. Not one, single, thing.

What is concerning me is where are the teams of imagineers and designers showing off how proud they are of what they've created? We got two losers telling us how amazing it is without showing us anything amazing.

Considering the price point that this is at Disney should be head over heels in promoting it as a crown jewel of the worldwide entertainment industry... Yet we end up with two pencil pusher position employees explaining how the ship is time locked between two moderately to badly received movies.

And in all 3 videos released: the Joshy D. One, the One Disney was ashamed of they scrubbed it's existence from the internet, and this one- they keep having conversations on the crappy bridge nobody likes. In each video, the bridge we have already seen that is universally agreed upon looks nothing like Star Wars, keeps taking up most of the screen time. Do one of these 'we pat ourselves on the back' interviews in another part of the ship! Do it in the bar or dinning area. Or do it in the Sabaac room! Show something new! Show off this experience you are billing 6 grand for!!! Every video spends sooo much time on the bridge. Show the box trucks trying to be space shuttles! Show us a glimpse of that experience. Something!!!

TrojanUSC

Also, nearly all of what they show in that video, with a few exceptions, is stuff they already did in the video with Sean Giambrone and the Fifth Element singer, but this one they just hired a cinematographer to make it look cool.

Just talked to two more people who got off today. It was again a "felt a bit like summer camp for kids but the food was great and we'd do it again if under $2K." And these are the two most pro-Disney people I could imagine.

TrojanUSC

And in all 3 videos released: the Joshy D. One, the One Disney was ashamed of they scrubbed it's existence from the internet, and this one- they keep having conversations on the crappy bridge nobody likes. In each video, the bridge we have already seen that is universally agreed upon looks nothing like Star Wars, keeps taking up most of the screen time. Do one of these 'we pat ourselves on the back' interviews in another part of the ship! Do it in the bar or dinning area. Or do it in the Sabaac room! Show something new! Show off this experience you are billing 6 grand for!!! Every video spends sooo much time on the bridge. Show the box trucks trying to be space shuttles! Show us a glimpse of that experience. Something!!!

Because nothing else looks very Star Wars-y. MFSM looks far better than this.

So Over It

Minus the Flacon Ramp you can't walk on. We should have known then. We should have known. Not walking up the Falcon Ramp to enter the ride was our first sign of how Disney does not get Star Wars. And you all missed it. Except me. I saw the signs.
I totally feel you on wishing we could stroll up the ramp into the Falcon.

Problem is, once they added all the needed railings, "watch your steps" and other touristy protections to make it lawsuit resistant, would it hardly even look like the ramp we all know and love from the movies?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I totally feel you on wishing we could stroll up the ramp into the Falcon.

Problem is, once they added all the needed railings, "watch your steps" and other touristy protections to make it lawsuit resistant, would it hardly even look like the ramp we all know and love from the movies?
You created a problem that doesn't need to exist. You don't put any of that stuff in and leave the ramp as it is and just have people walk up it.

themerebear6453

The thing that's mind boggling is I was absolutely planning on doing this experience. It was no doubt for me and my husband. It was going to be a luxury we were going to splurge on for ourselves, but now we're planning a long stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge instead for a portion of the money this would have cost us.

Sir_Cliff

I couldn't agree with you more. And yet...

This is a relatively small capital outlay and minor project. It's not like DCA circa 2001. It's just a lightly landscaped warehouse next to a freeway cloverleaf behind the CM parking lot. The interior is custom built, but as we've seen from their own media it's not that impressive or extravagant.

In the big ballgame of a multi-Billion dollar company like today's "Disney", this will be relatively easy to abandon and write off when it flops and stops booking reservations by 2023. Easy to bury and repurpose the building for a training facility, or new offices for HR, or a nice crash pad for CM's working back-to-back 12 hour shifts with only a 7 hour turnaround. They can even sell the CM uniforms to a dentist's office in Kissimmee, to save Chapek some money and pride.

Unlike a theme park, or even a once-in-a-generation new night parade, this will be easy to abandon and pretend it never existed. Like Disney Institute, or Club Disney.
I completely agree with this. While it is, ah, interesting to watch how this unfolds and whether it succeeds, if they close it down in a year we're not exactly talking another Euro Disney. They'll just quietly stop taking reservations, there will be a few comments by Chapek during investor calls about it not meeting expectations, and everyone will move on. I would think it would hardly make a dent in their financial reports.

If it fails, one would hope it would make them rethink the current direction of building either generic hotels with light "Disney" decorations like Riviera and the cancelled Reflections or completely sealing people in a box to LARP for several days. I will not hold my breath, though.

pdude81

The thing that's mind boggling is I was absolutely planning on doing this experience. It was no doubt for me and my husband. It was going to be a luxury we were going to splurge on for ourselves, but now we're planning a long stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge instead for a portion of the money this would have cost us.
That's a great choice also. And if you choose to go on the Starcruiser in the future, you'll know more of what to expect.

durangojim

I think there’s many of us here who feel the same way, hence the saltiness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom