News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

So Over It

I disagree anything in the orginal film is cute. It was a ground breaking film for the film industry.
It was a cute moment when Princess Leia gives Luke Skywalker a quick kiss on the lips and says "For Luck", just before they swing across a big dropoff inside the Death Star. That was a cute smooch, and a way to foreshadow a potential romance forming.

Mind you, I haven't seen any of the sequels, but I am almost certain that is where they're going with this scene.

Minthorne

I disagree anything in the orginal film is cute. It was a ground breaking film for the film industry.
EC561A83-3879-4EAC-94FA-1A6E8FE33165.jpeg

So cute!!

MagicHappens1971

It was a cute moment when Princess Leia gives Luke Skywalker a quick kiss on the lips and says "For Luck", just before they swing across a big dropoff inside the Death Star. That was a cute smooch, and a way to foreshadow a potential romance forming.

Mind you, I haven't seen any of the sequels, but I am almost certain that is where they're going with this scene.
I wonder if this is a joke or not

MagicHappens1971

She looked pretty serious to me when she gave him that quick wet peck on the mouth.
I can't imagine a main protagonist like Leia leading on her rescuer, and giving the poor lovestruck lad false hopes.
Luke & Leia are siblings. I mean they don’t find that out till later on. I just wasn’t sure if you were kidding or not

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I disagree it was cute. It was because she was terrified she was going to fall to her death. Luke had never done anything like that before. It was a big leap (pun intended) in his heroes journey.

danv3

I don't think that's really the point.

If you aren't partaking in the activities they schedule for you (and most of what they schedule seems aimed at children), what else is there to do? Are you supposed to just sit in your room during those times?

Of course we don't know; there could be other options. And in this particular case it's only 15 minutes. Considering the size of the Starcruiser, though, it kind of feels like the scheduled activities will make use of all the available public space.

A rare relevant post on this thread. Kudos.

TrojanUSC

This thread has become like the Skyliner thread before it opened in which people were tripping over themselves to declare how everyone was going to die of heat exhaustion and suffer all types of tragic deaths.

It's still overpriced, but that's no reason to think up unrealistically horrible things will happen.

The big downside is right there in plain sight: It's overpriced. For most people.

The rich, for whom $6k is nary a concern will have their turn first. Sucks. But (to engage momentarily in hyperbole) that doesn't mean one has to concoct everyone will die from lack of oxygen because the windows are hidden.

I think the Skyliner thread was massively overdramatic, as Disney would not have built that kind of system if they did not know how it would handle in the Florida climate, etc. Plus everyone needs transportation.

That said, I think they missed the mark a little here. Both from everything they've released publicly and the people I know who have done test cruises. There's quite a gap between the price point vs actual experience value. My one friend who went said they would do it again if free, or under $2K. His further comments were: "The food, lounge and finale show are the best parts... the rooms are a tiny bit bigger than you'd think, but most of the experiences are cheesy and some are just embarrassing. It's like that element was designed by people who look down upon theme park guests thinking they are all children who will appreciate anything SW that comes their way."

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My one friend who went said they would do it again if free, or under $2K. His further comments were: "The food, lounge and finale show are the best parts... the rooms are a tiny bit bigger than you'd think, but most of the experiences are cheesy and some are just embarrassing. It's like that element was designed by people who look down upon theme park guests thinking they are all children who will appreciate anything SW that comes their way."

That is a very similar account that I have been told by testers.

In short, the latest comments I have heard are, it needs to be about a third of the price, it has a kids camp feel to it, the audience for this is not a serious Star Wars fan.

UNCgolf

That is a very similar account that I have been told by testers.

In short, the latest comments I have heard are, it needs to be about a third of the price, it has a kids camp feel to it, the audience for this is not a serious Star Wars fan.

I can't say I'm too surprised by that considering Disney's management seems to think that anyone who goes to a theme park is essentially a child.

UNCgolf

They now seem to think Disney park fans are so enraptured that they will buy a house out in the desert for hundreds of thousands of dollars if they stick the Disney brand on it.

I'm curious about how that's going to work. I assume Disney is making money from the developer by licensing their brand, and then I guess they will eventually get a cut of HOA fees to support whatever Disney products/services they're offering?

They're not actually developing the property, so it's not like they'll be making money off the real estate sales themselves (unless the developer is giving them a cut as part of the overall deal, which is certainly possible). It doesn't really seem like something that's going to be a long-term revenue stream, but I suppose that depends on how successful the overall concept is.

Casper Gutman

I think the Skyliner thread was massively overdramatic, as Disney would not have built that kind of system if they did not know how it would handle in the Florida climate, etc. Plus everyone needs transportation.

That said, I think they missed the mark a little here. Both from everything they've released publicly and the people I know who have done test cruises. There's quite a gap between the price point vs actual experience value. My one friend who went said they would do it again if free, or under $2K. His further comments were: "The food, lounge and finale show are the best parts... the rooms are a tiny bit bigger than you'd think, but most of the experiences are cheesy and some are just embarrassing. It's like that element was designed by people who look down upon theme park guests thinking they are all children who will appreciate anything SW that comes their way."
If the food and lounge are the best part… sorta sounds like they could have built a conventional, Star Wars themed hotel. And put a live show in Battuu - as was intended before cuts.

But I’m sure overcharging and then talking down to fans won’t generate any bad PR. Star Wars fans are famously good natured and understanding, don’t blow things out of proportion, and love to be condescended to. And they’re VERY happy with Disney’s management of the brand and don’t think that their very serious franchise is being infantilized.

It sounds like Disney couldn’t have screwed this up much worse. Let’s watch.

Morkey Moose

I'm curious about how that's going to work. I assume Disney is making money from the developer by licensing their brand, and then I guess they will eventually get a cut of HOA fees to support whatever Disney products/services they're offering?

They're not actually developing the property, so it's not like they'll be making money off the real estate sales themselves (unless the developer is giving them a cut as part of the overall deal, which is certainly possible). It doesn't really seem like something that's going to be a long-term revenue stream, but I suppose that depends on how successful the overall concept is.
The Bugs Bunny in me has always wanted to retire to Palm Springs, but not with the Disney moniker attached. Have we learned nothing from Celebration?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom