News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

yensidtlaw1969

That is a very similar account that I have been told by testers.

In short, the latest comments I have heard are, it needs to be about a third of the price, it has a kids camp feel to it, the audience for this is not a serious Star Wars fan.
That last part is chilling to read.

Imagine holding your audience in such contempt that you'd charge $6,000 for a two day "immersive" experience and not feel like the goal should be to create something for the most passionate fans of the property. Imagine being so dense that you'd think people spending that much time and money on this experience wouldn't expect it to deliver some serious wish-fulfillment.

We'll have to hear from more people before a real concensus can be reached, but man . . . this really does somehow seem to be getting worse with every passing day.

Brian

Just in case there was any confusion out there.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 22.01.42.png

To be fair, it is borderline reasonable to expect that at $6k, you might be buying a true ticket into space.

TikibirdLand

Imagine holding your audience in such contempt that you'd charge $6,000 for a two day "immersive" experience and notMic feel like the goal should be to create something for the most passionate fans of the property. Imagine being so dense that you'd think people spending that much time and money on this experience wouldn't expect it to deliver some serious wish-fulfillment.

We'll have to hear from more people before a real concensus can be reached, but man . . . this really does somehow seem to be getting worse with every passing day.
Reports, videos and pictures will be better than Wanda Vision or The Mandalorian. I can't wait!

We've got --- what? -- something like 2 weeks before the party begins. It should start with Good Morning America's Michael Strahan comparing his 2 day cruise to that of the Starship. His quote: "The food is much better on the starcruiser than on Starship. He'll also get to fire lasers on the bridge. Later, George Stephanopoulos will be interviewing Captain Keevan. He'll ask the all important question: why is she piloting the Halcyon so close to First Order territory will harboring resistance fighters? Doesn't she know she's putting guests in danger?

Then, we'll be tracking the vloggers as they post food blogs while wooing guests. It'll be magical!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Imagine holding your audience in such contempt that you'd charge $6,000 for a two day "immersive" experience and not feel like the goal should be to create something for the most passionate fans of the property. Imagine being so dense that you'd think people spending that much time and money on this experience wouldn't expect it to deliver some serious wish-fulfillment.

It sounds like opinion I’ve had for a while - That Disney doesn’t truly understand what “immersive” and “storytelling” truly mean anymore, despite those words creeping into every piece of PR fluff they put out - may have been accurate. Imagine the embarrassment if these types of reports end up becoming more prevalent. 🙈

TrojanUSC

If the food and lounge are the best part… sorta sounds like they could have built a conventional, Star Wars themed hotel. And put a live show in Battuu - as was intended before cuts.

But I’m sure overcharging and then talking down to fans won’t generate any bad PR. Star Wars fans are famously good natured and understanding, don’t blow things out of proportion, and love to be condescended to. And they’re VERY happy with Disney’s management of the brand and don’t think that their very serious franchise is being infantilized.

It sounds like Disney couldn’t have screwed this up much worse. Let’s watch.

I think they would have been far better off building a truly five star Star Wars hotel. Instead they kind of half-a**ed the hotel and the activities seem tacked on to cater to the lowest common denominator.

kingdead

That is a very similar account that I have been told by testers.

In short, the latest comments I have heard are, it needs to be about a third of the price, it has a kids camp feel to it, the audience for this is not a serious Star Wars fan.
If you pay $3k, you can get a Star Wars Day at sea on a Disney cruise with the same kids' camp activities. That and you can do character meet and greets and whatever cosplay you like (within reason, I'm assuming you can't do bikini Leia with Jabba the Hutt). And they'll show the actual Star Wars movies! They'll even throw in a real cruise on the side!

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It was groundbreaking. And R2-D2 was cute. Not mutually exclusive.
Agree to disagree. A character can be cute. The movie as a whole is not. Far from it. I certainly wouldn't describe R2 as cute. He is a robot. No facial features to be cute. But he is a good character. He has personality. Personality takes you a long way. Even though he only talks through 'beeps' and 'bops' the tone and body language indicate he is very much a smart@ss with attitude and very loyal. Sassy? Yes. Cute? Nah.

mergatroid

Reports, videos and pictures will be better than Wanda Vision or The Mandalorian. I can't wait!

We've got --- what? -- something like 2 weeks before the party begins. It should start with Good Morning America's Michael Strahan comparing his 2 day cruise to that of the Starship. His quote: "The food is much better on the starcruiser than on Starship. He'll also get to fire lasers on the bridge. Later, George Stephanopoulos will be interviewing Captain Keevan. He'll ask the all important question: why is she piloting the Halcyon so close to First Order territory will harboring resistance fighters? Doesn't she know she's putting guests in danger?

Then, we'll be tracking the vloggers as they post food blogs while wooing guests. It'll be magical!
People keep saying this despite it being easily explained? In a universe where light travel is possible meaning you can travel billions of miles in no time, would you imagine that everyday life would cease to function anywhere in that area because there's the 'possibility' that the First Order could board you? The whole thing is fiction so anyone can pull ridiculous arguments in to it if they want? Look at some of the greatest movies of all time and you'll easily be able to find holes in their plots.

Let's use Star Wars (the original) as an example.

What are the odds that the very droid that has a message hidden in it (R2-D2) ejects from a boarded ship and just happens to land on the same planet where Leia's brother lives? Not only that but what are the odds that it ends up being bought (and only because another droids blows up) by Leia's brother, who also just happens to be the son of the very guy who boarded the ship that resulted in the droid being ejected in the first place?

When Luke travels to Dagobah in search of Yoda, he just happens to crash his X Wing within walking distance of the very person he's seeking out. I wonder what the odds of that are, hmmmmmmmm?

Most people who are Star Wars fans are happy to accept those bizarre and highly unlikely scenarios without question, but not that a space cruise might happen in a Galaxy the First Order could travel too? :D

Casper Gutman

One frequently overlooked perk of the whole experience is getting to spend two days hanging out with folks who spent $6000 to live out their fantasies of being space fascists - based very closely on certain real-world precedents.

It's only slightly less awkward then a Captain America LARP; "OK, so who wants to be on Caps team? And who wants to be on... the other team?"

TikibirdLand

People keep saying this despite it being easily explained? In a universe where light travel is possible meaning you can travel billions of miles in no time, would you imagine that everyday life would cease to function anywhere in that area because there's the 'possibility' that the First Order could board you? The whole thing is fiction so anyone can pull ridiculous arguments in to it if they want? Look at some of the greatest movies of all time and you'll easily be able to find holes in their plots.

What are the odds that the very droid that has a message hidden in it (R2-D2) ejects from a boarded ship and just happens to land on the same planet where Leia's brother lives? Not only that but what are the odds that it ends up being bought (and only because another droids blows up) by Leia's brother, who also just happens to be the son of the very guy who boarded the ship that resulted in the droid being ejected in the first place?

When Luke travels to Dagobah in search of Yoda, he just happens to crash his X Wing within walking distance of the very person he's seeking out. I wonder what the odds of that are, hmmmmmmmm?

Most people who are Star Wars fans are happy to accept those bizarre and highly unlikely scenarios without question, but not that a space cruise might happen in a Galaxy the First Order could travel too? :D
Just wanted to point out that I wasn't asking that question; George was. Sometimes, he's a smarta$$!

kingdead

One frequently overlooked perk of the whole experience is getting to spend two days hanging out with folks who spent $6000 to live out their fantasies of being space fascists - based very closely on certain real-world precedents.

It's only slightly less awkward then a Captain America LARP; "OK, so who wants to be on Caps team? And who wants to be on... the other team?"
Morality of the experience aside, where's the Sith and Jedi? Disney tends to emphasize the military aspect of Star Wars, but people like the magical space samurai!

dmw

In the Parks
No

duh... it was the Force, of course. Never tell us the odds... 😜

durangojim

Sorry, did it say "Mandatory Dance Lessons held at blaster point?" You can "get out of it." Don't do it. Stand and watch. Go back to your room or the bar. Shame they seem to be having trouble finding actors for this thing because there's no end of drama-queens here.

(Note- I like Len and I'm sure he's just making a joke, I'm just jumping in before this gets interpreted into the extreme.)
@lentesta is a good guy with a good sense of humor, unlike some people around here:rolleyes:

GimpYancIent

I think they would have been far better off building a truly five star Star Wars hotel. Instead they kind of half-a**ed the hotel and the activities seem tacked on to cater to the lowest common denominator.
In the realm of could have, should have it would have been a master stroke to utilize the (rather roomy) area where the Star Cruiser sits + to develop / build a detailed Star Wars themed true 5-star resort, say, use the cloud city or the royal palace on Naboo as templates. For immersive the resort restaurant could be full on costumed CM's interactive affair. A lot of possibilities for extravagance, style, with LARPing and Cosplay opportunities and think of it No limit to the amount of time guests can stay. Yeah, could have, should have but Disney management (in all their enlightened wisdom) didn't. This is what happens when one turns to the Dark side.

Incomudro

Just in case there was any confusion out there.

View attachment 621946

To be fair, it is borderline reasonable to expect that at $6k, you might be buying a true ticket into space.
"Experience the sensation of voyaging" sounds like the most promising thing I've heard.
Could there be some sense of movement built into some area of this ship?
That'd help enormously.
If not movement, sound.
There has to be an engine sound - which would work even better if it could be tied to movement.
I realize the entire building doesn't move.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom