News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Kman101

I got flamed in 2015...but I'll take the heat on this stance:

Carrie fisher should never have been brought back. Not at all. She just simply was too far gone to be in movies in this capacity.

That's life. I honestly hated seeing Ford and hamill awkwardly tiptoe around in as well...but fisher couldn't even talk after all her "living" Over the years.

So now these 3 movies are tied to her...and she honestly wasn't even resembling the character any more. How do you have "sharp tongue" when you can't actually move your mouth?

They should have done these in the 90's when everybody wanted them...as anyone reasonable could have determined...except apparently guys named "Jorge".

But that's another battle.

And in the 90s none of Carrie, Mark or Harrison would have done the movies. Maybe Mark. Carrie maybe could have been talked into it. But you couldn't do the movies as is then because the likelihood of them doing it is pretty slim. This whole "it's cool to go back to your character from 30 years ago" is a more recent trend. If you don't go back, you're shredded.

I hope you're perfect when you reach Carrie's age ;)

I think we're all pretty aware of how you feel towards the current crop of movies :) You seem to talk about it quite a bit. And you seem to be unwilling to realize other people may have liked the movie.

Personally, I didn't rush to go see it in the theater and I haven't for any of them. I enjoy them, I don't take them too seriously. They're fun. I don't like some of the things I've read, and one was no surprised because I feared they'd do it and they did.

Considering George did a less than stellar job in the 90s/00s with the other three movies I'm glad he's not involved. Sorry but those movies weren't the most well received (I "grew up" with them and they weren't good) and George was fairly panned for them, IIRC, but now some people (not saying you) think they're fine now and the new movies are terrible. What happens in 20 years when said same people now think these new movies were actually good.

But I'm rambling. Everyone has different tastes but you seem determined to insist TFA was a total and complete failure. That's your perogative, but that isn't quite the truth. Could it have gone better? Sure it could have. I'm sure they're frustrated because they set very lofty expectations, but I don't think they're throwing up their hands and throwing in the towel (which is what some seem to be implying, which is wishful thinking). I do believe they may not be sure where to go and they're just riding on the high, which isn't necessarily smart.

Frankly, SOLO isn't needed. Movies like this will be the ones that muddle the waters and kill the franchise. But I liked Rogue One for what it was. I know it's easy to dislike something because it didn't live up to how we set it up in our minds (again, not saying you). Personally I've stopped doing that and it's nice to not get so worked up over things that just aren't in my control.

Last edited:

TP2000

Any thoughts about the Star Wars themed hotel supposedly being built next to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. Do you think its been postponed ahead of the 2021 projected opening? Disney currently has so many projects going on right now and maybe this isn't at the top of their list like the Main Street Theater. What are your thoughts?

I've wondered that too, as they haven't begun vertical construction on anything that could be a Star Wars Hotel yet. I assume it goes across the toll plaza lanes behind Star Wars Land in all that land they are clearing?

Regardless of where it goes, it obviously won't be opening with Star Wars Land next year. If they start vertical construction within the next year, it could make it to an opening by Christmas, 2020. If construction doesn't begin until next year, it could still make it for the 50th kickoff in Spring, 2021.

I would play 500 dollars MAX but I know its going to be MUCH more expensive lol

I'm afraid your budget won't be high enough then. Using the only Disney hotel in the United States that is connected to a theme park as a point of reference, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa at Disney California Adventure...

The cheapest room is a "Standard View" room, which is actually a room looking at an interior wall or the street. Here's a Trip Advisor review of an "upper floor Standard View" room that looked out at the roof and Disneyland Drive beyond. For $660 per night.
disney-s-grand-californian.jpg

Then there's a "Courtyard View" room that looks out at the multiple interior courtyards at the Grand Californian. These start at $698 per night.

The next step up at the Grand Californian is a "Downtown Disney View" room that looks out on Downtown Disney and the trees surrounding the parking lot tram loading zone. For $795 per night.
l.jpg

Next you step up to a "Pool View" room, looking at the large pool complex on the southern flank of the hotel. For $820 per night.

Finally, you get to the Theme Park View rooms, with views of Paradise Pier or Grizzly Peak areas. These start at $995 per night, for two queens or one king.

I would have to imagine the Star Wars Hotel concept has a business case behind it where room rates start somewhere north of $1,000 per night, if not more by bundling together a meal or two per day and "special amenities" and all those extra CM's doing acting work for the guests. It's going to be very expensive, wherever and whenever it gets built.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

I've wondered that too, as they haven't begun vertical construction on anything that could be a Star Wars Hotel yet. I assume it goes across the toll plaza lanes behind Star Wars Land in all that land they are clearing?

Regardless of where it goes, it obviously won't be opening with Star Wars Land next year. If they start vertical construction within the next year, it could make it to an opening by Christmas, 2020. If construction doesn't begin until next year, it could still make it for the 50th kickoff in Spring, 2021.

I'm afraid your budget won't be high enough then. Using the only Disney hotel in the United States that is connected to a theme park as a point of reference, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa at Disney California Adventure...

The cheapest room is a "Standard View" room, which is actually a room looking at an interior wall or the street. Here's a Trip Advisor review of an "upper floor Standard View" room that looked out at the roof and Disneyland Drive beyond. For $660 per night.

Then there's a "Courtyard View" room that looks out at the multiple interior courtyards at the Grand Californian. These start at $698 per night.

The next step up at the Grand Californian is a "Downtown Disney View" room that looks out on Downtown Disney and the trees surrounding the parking lot tram loading zone. For $795 per night.
l.jpg

Next you step up to a "Pool View" room, looking at the large pool complex on the southern flank of the hotel. For $820 per night.

Finally, you get to the Theme Park View rooms, with views of Paradise Pier or Grizzly Peak areas. These start at $995 per night, for two queens or one king.

I would have to imagine the Star Wars Hotel concept has a business case behind it where room rates start somewhere north of $1,000 per night, if not more by bundling together a meal or two per day and "special amenities" and all those extra CM's doing acting work for the guests. It's going to be very expensive, wherever and whenever it gets built.
IIRC, back when the survey first came out, there was a two night commitment for reservations. The price in the Disney survey had it at $1000 for two nights for two people so $500/person. (This is probably how Disney will price it publicly) A nuclear family would be looking at 2k ON TOP of the typical WDW vacation expenses.

For comparison’s sake. Said family could go to Discovery Cove $1400 with tickets to SWO/Aquatica. $2100 for a maxed out day (Shark swim, Seaventure, BGT).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And in the 90s none of Carrie, Mark or Harrison would have done the movies. Maybe Mark. Carrie maybe could have been talked into it. But you couldn't do the movies as is then because the likelihood of them doing it is pretty slim. This whole "it's cool to go back to your character from 30 years ago" is a more recent trend. If you don't go back, you're shredded.

I hope you're perfect when you reach Carrie's age ;)

I think we're all pretty aware of how you feel towards the current crop of movies :) You seem to talk about it quite a bit. And you seem to be unwilling to realize other people may have liked the movie.

Personally, I didn't rush to go see it in the theater and I haven't for any of them. I enjoy them, I don't take them too seriously. They're fun. I don't like some of the things I've read, and one was no surprised because I feared they'd do it and they did.

Considering George did a less than stellar job in the 90s/00s with the other three movies I'm glad he's not involved. Sorry but those movies weren't the most well received (I "grew up" with them and they weren't good) and George was fairly panned for them, IIRC, but now some people (not saying you) think they're fine now and the new movies are terrible. What happens in 20 years when said same people now think these new movies were actually good.

But I'm rambling. Everyone has different tastes but you seem determined to insist TFA was a total and complete failure. That's your perogative, but that isn't quite the truth. Could it have gone better? Sure it could have. I'm sure they're frustrated because they set very lofty expectations, but I don't think they're throwing up their hands and throwing in the towel (which is what some seem to be implying, which is wishful thinking). I do believe they may not be sure where to go and they're just riding on the high, which isn't necessarily smart.

Frankly, SOLO isn't needed. Movies like this will be the ones that muddle the waters and kill the franchise. But I liked Rogue One for what it was. I know it's easy to dislike something because it didn't live up to how we set it up in our minds (again, not saying you). Personally I've stopped doing that and it's nice to not get so worked up over things that just aren't in my control.

I can't tell if you are berating me, agreeing with me, reporting me to the FCC...or a weird combination of all of them.

I guess we can agree to disagree and opinions vary.

I said my view of fisher wasn't gonna be popular...but I'd be shocked if it wasn't at least mentally broached by a vast majority of fans. It happened...can't be undone

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The new Coronado tower is expected to be completed in 24 months.

The SW Resort is expected to be much smaller, a boutique hotel. It's not outside the realm of possibility at this point for it to be built in 20-21 months and open with DHSSW:GEB in the fall of 2018. EDIT: 2019

Last edited:

TP2000

The new Coronado tower is expected to be completed in 24 months.

The SW Resort is expected to be much smaller, a boutique hotel. It's not outside the realm of possibility at this point for it to be built in 20-21 months and open with DHSSW:GEB in the fall of 2018.

I agree the hotel could be physically built from the swamp up in 24 months or less, but the operation of this hotel is unlike anything the hotel industry has ever seen, or unlike anything Disney has ever attempted. I would liken it to opening a new attraction, where you would need multi months of technical testing and artistic rehearsals before Disney opened it to paying Guests.

Your average roadside 200 room Sheraton can go from land clearing to paying guests in 18 to 20 months. The Star Wars Hotel is going to take longer, in my amateur opinion.

djkidkaz

It was announced tonight at D23 Japan that this will be connected to Galaxys Edge so the only option is right behind it where we assumed a parking lot was going, correct? Your not gonna build it across World Drive so it would seem to indicate that’s where it’s going.

Timothy_Q

It was announced tonight at D23 Japan that this will be connected to Galaxys Edge so the only option is right behind it where we assumed a parking lot was going, correct? Your not gonna build it across World Drive so it would seem to indicate that’s where it’s going.
They didn’t say physically connected tho

I’m scared they only mean narratively connected.
I hope not though

djkidkaz

I also noticed it said “the journey begins the moment guests arrive as everyone boards a starship and departs together to start their multi day experience”.

This sounds almost like you would board at star tours and then exit into the hotel. In theory they could have you arrive before park open for your Star Wars hotel stay and have a special video that plays traveling you to the hotel. Then once park opens they would just go back to regular star tours.

Smooth

"Last summer, we announced plans for an immersive Star Wars-inspired resort to be built at Walt Disney World® Resort. Tonight we’re happy to share more details on what this thrilling new resort, which will be seamlessly connected to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, will be like.
This first-of-its-kind resort will combine luxury with complete immersion into an authentic Star Warsstory. Guests’ journey through space will start when everyone departs together for a multiday Stars Wars adventure by boarding a starship alive with characters and stories that unfold all around them during a voyage through the galaxy.
At the resort, Guests immediately become active citizens of the galaxy and can dress up in the proper attire. Every resort window will also have a view into space. The opportunity for immersion at this resort will also stand out among all Disney resorts around the globe, as it will be seamlessly connected to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, allowing guests a total Star Wars experience.
Stay tuned for future updates on this fascinating place!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom