News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

1640016565082.png

But that's not necessarily correct. Samari Rolle was a CB that played for FSU and later Tennessee and Baltimore. So I guess it can be both. But then again. Not too many female CB's in the NFL. Or in the NCAAF for that matter.

Last edited:

Nubs70

How do you alienate the hard core fanbase of one of the greatest franchises in movie history?
View attachment 608621
How?

TWDC pursued the acquisition and integration of LucasFilms as a typical merger.

When a merger takes place like in colonial acquisition, the first rule in establishment of the new colony (NEWCO) is to exterminate the "natives". TWDC not only exterminated exisiting management but also the reliance on the preceeding foundational storyline in an effort to make the new material authentically TWDC.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
How?

TWDC pursued the acquisition and integration of LucasFilms as a typical merger.

When a merger takes place like in colonial acquisition, the first rule in establishment of the new colony (NEWCO) is to exterminate the "natives". TWDC not only exterminated exisiting management but also the reliance on the preceeding foundational storyline in an effort to make the new material authentically TWDC.

I would have been perfectly fine with an extermination of Jar Jar. And, Han? Well I think we all saw that extermination coming. Han wanted to be exterminated.

At least they exiled Luke before exterminating him. But is it too much to ask to have a random rock somewhere in SWGE - draped in a Jedi robe?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Make a prequel trilogy?

The Prequels stayed true to the characters of the OT that were included in that prequel time period. No doubt that initially, the prequels were not well received. But they did grow on you (at least me).

My comment wasn't necessarily about the alienation of the fan base due to the films. More so with how they approached the source material in the parks. Maybe "alienate" wasn't the right choice of words. Indifference probably works better. And you don't create a marketing plan to sell a $6k hotel and $200 light sabers around indifference.

CaptinEO

I'm not sure how the thread sidetracked into men vs women. You all can continue down that path if you'd like. I'm sticking with the overall subject matter of the OP and the Galactic Cruiser presence at WDW. I'll even reach across a line and reference the Star Wars / SWGE mess.

IMO Disney has bungled the entire inclusion of the Star Wars presence into their parks. And this has nothing to do with anybody's perception (good/bad) about the Disney trilogy.

How do you alienate the hard core fanbase of one of the greatest franchises in movie history? Well, TWDC found a way. You want to make the new trilogy the focal point - fine. Just don't ignore everything that has come before. But they can't even do that right.

SWGE is an impressive land. But it has no emotional connection with anyone. Not the fans of the Disney Trilogy, not the fans of the OT, and not even the fans of Prequel trilogy. And it appears that the Disney SWGE blueprint has now infected the Galactic Cruiser.

With all of the source material they have, I find it hard to believe that they seem to be "winging" this as they go. When I saw one of the preview videos where the woman showcased her hologram projector - and the projector was an I phone. Let me type that again. Disney showcased a preview video of a hotel that they want you to spend $6k on - and they're hyping it with an I-Phone. I spit my beer out and started laughing.

View attachment 608621
To me what's weird is where is the boundary between Star Wars and science fiction/space fantasy?

Disney bought the Star Wars series which is a popular movie series with famous characters and locations but wants to do their own thing it appears.

They made a clean futuristic space hotel and created new aliens. Is that Star Wars? I guess there's a lightsaber mini game to play for a minute?

What is Star Wars about this hotel? This seems to be more for science fiction fans or role playing fans.

Just like with Galaxy's Edge Disney assumed they could make up fake planets and characters and call it Star Wars.

Now with the Star Wars Hotel it's a hotel that looks nothing like Star Wars and features no Star Wars characters. I don't get it. I am a huge Star Wars fan (of the original trilogy and video games) and this does nothing for me, I don't see any appeal to Star Wars fans.

Now imagine a hotel stay on Vader's Star Destroyer? Or Endor? Hoth Base? Iconic locations that are actually Star Wars.

This is for space cosplayers, not Star Wars fans.

Cesar R M

Wow, created an account just to say you don't want to be here? What seems false about that? One post - sheesh!
Reminds me of certain famous behavior of certain individuals in certain fandoms..

Where they cry "I'm LEAVING FOREVER".. (they never do).
Then wait for others to somehow beg them to stay.

Good thing this forum is clean and concise in giving them a proper friendly shove towards the door and locking it on their way out. :hilarious: :hilarious:

Cesar R M

The original trilogy's lead trio was two men and one woman.
The prequel trilogy's lead trio was two men and one woman.
The sequel trilogy's lead trio of one woman and two men.
What? you're not counting a living mop (Chewie)?

No see.. you 'presume' something - while the rest of us are listening to what KK has gone on record saying their motivation was.
Everyone here is presuming and commenting based on their own view of the world and bias.
Please don't try to claim that your version or view is the "sole absolute and universal truth"

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
To me what's weird is where is the boundary between Star Wars and science fiction/space fantasy?

Disney bought the Star Wars series which is a popular movie series with famous characters and locations but wants to do their own thing it appears.

They made a clean futuristic space hotel and created new aliens. Is that Star Wars? I guess there's a lightsaber mini game to play for a minute?

What is Star Wars about this hotel? This seems to be more for science fiction fans or role playing fans.

Just like with Galaxy's Edge Disney assumed they could make up fake planets and characters and call it Star Wars.

Now with the Star Wars Hotel it's a hotel that looks nothing like Star Wars and features no Star Wars characters. I don't get it. I am a huge Star Wars fan (of the original trilogy and video games) and this does nothing for me, I don't see any appeal to Star Wars fans.

Now imagine a hotel stay on Vader's Star Destroyer? Or Endor? Hoth Base? Iconic locations that are actually Star Wars.

This is for space cosplayers, not Star Wars fans.
You can deny that you'd enjoy this, but I don't think you can successfully deny that it's Star Wars related.

CaptinEO

You can deny that you'd enjoy this, but I don't think you can successfully deny that it's Star Wars related.
I wouldn't enjoy this to be honest.

I'm not even a Harry Potter fan but I can enjoy Universal's offerings because they recreate iconic locations, characters, and items from the Harry Potter films, which are charming and recognizable.

When it turns into a fanfiction extended universe area is when I stop caring. Including one twilek doesn't make this Star Wars to me.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I wouldn't enjoy this to be honest.

I'm not even a Harry Potter fan but I can enjoy Universal's offerings because they recreate iconic locations, characters, and items from the Harry Potter films, which are charming and recognizable.

When it turns into a fanfiction extended universe area is when I stop caring. Including one twilek doesn't make this Star Wars to me.
I understand, but face it -- nobody who's talking really knows what this experience will entail. Might want to wait until some news leaks before you write it off completely...

CaptinEO

I understand, but face it -- nobody who's talking really knows what this experience will entail. Might want to wait until some news leaks before you write it off completely...
I completely agree. We are all basing this off of what has been shown so far.

Having been burned by GE and Avengers Campus marketing I'm expecting the worst. Just like GE, Disney is showing concept art months before opening, it's a bad sign.

Galaxy's Edge was showing off all kinds of cool concept art during ABC specials a few months before opening that had elements that were not in the land.

If this hotel is opening in March shouldn't a lot of these concept art pieces be camera ready?

But Disney of course shouldn't reveal all their surprises in their marketing ads. I'm sure there is quite a bit we don't know about.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

And that's interesting - If you know of Disney's vision for Harry Potter inclusion into the parks when they were talking to Rowling. Amounted to basically a dark ride and a themed QS place in Fantasyland. Might have been a couple of other things (obviously a Gift Shop). She told TWDC to kick rocks.

But imagine if Uni opened Mountain Meade (sounds like a stout) instead of Hogsmeade. And it was loosely based on Potter with some references here and there. Maybe a Potter themed ride. But not truly Potter. Just kinda "like" Potter. That's the feeling I get walking through SWGE. And maybe not everybody does. We each have our opinions and our experiences can differ. Just what it seems like to me.

Bocabear

And that's interesting - If you know of Disney's vision for Harry Potter inclusion into the parks when they were talking to Rowling. Amounted to basically a dark ride and a themed QS place in Fantasyland. Might have been a couple of other things (obviously a Gift Shop). She told TWDC to kick rocks.

But imagine if Uni opened Mountain Meade (sounds like a stout) instead of Hogsmeade. And it was loosely based on Potter with some references here and there. Maybe a Potter themed ride. But not truly Potter. Just kinda "like" Potter. That's the feeling I get walking through SWGE. And maybe not everybody does. We each have our opinions and our experiences can differ. Just what it seems like to me.
Yes! Like doing a Harry Potter based expansion and setting it in the Bulgarian Wizard School which would be perched in a bunch of rockwork and nothing else, and there would be a ride vaguely referring to training for the tournament at Hogsmeade...with a pepper's Ghost character of Viktor Krum.
I feel like the whole thing is just too far away from the source material or the characters that people really loved...Certainly the setting is unfamiliar.
The ROTR is a good attraction...it would have been much more engaging set in the time of Luke and Han and Leia though...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom