News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MrPromey

Ok, a guest pays a hefty price for an immersive experience then actively works to not be immersed?

I scratch my head at people who attend HHN and then line up to spend as much as two hours waiting to do rides like The Mummy and Men In Black, both of which, they could do during the day with far shorter waits.

Who knows why people think the way they do?

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I scratch my head at people who attend HHN and then line up to spend as much as two hours waiting to do rides like The Mummy and Men In Black, both of which, they could do during the day with far shorter waits.

Who knows why people think the way they do?
They are doing it wrong. Express pass is a requirement for HHN and it includes the rides one time

MrPromey

They are doing it wrong. Express pass is a requirement for HHN and it includes the rides one time

In years past, I tried doing things like HHN and Howl-o-Scream with large groups of friends and it gave me anxiety.

inevitably, an hour in, half the group would be ready to settle on some place to eat dinner in the park and I would just sit there and fume as I watched the crowds get heavier and heavier while someone was mulling over if they wanted dessert or not, after eating.

Obviously, with starcruiser pricing and limited availability, you really don't want anyone with you who doesn't specifically want to be there.

All the no-pool discussion here and elsewhere feels very much like a failure of Disney to properly market and explain this concept.

Maybe it's just truly too unique of a thing for people to grasp until it's up and running and people who've done it start describing the experience, though - assuming the experience pays off, of course.

Obviously, real-life cruises offer filler stuff like cards or bingo because they need to have something to keep people busy with for part of their transportation time. I'm sure that's what Disney is trying to emulate here.

The question is, will someone get blasted in the chest and dragged out in front of you during the middle of a card game or is it really just Disney feeling they can cheap out by going this route?

We won't know until reviews from guests who had to pay their own way start coming in.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

In years past, I tried doing things like HHN and Howl-o-Scream with large groups of friends and it gave me anxiety.

inevitably, an hour in, half the group would be ready to settle on some place to eat dinner in the park and I would just sit there and fume as I watched the crowds get heavier and heavier while someone was mulling over if they wanted dessert or not, after eating.
Big reason I tour solo or with one other. I'm there for the horrah not to wait in lines

durangojim

I think it's too small for that. I'm not sure it would even be worth operating at standard prices because of all the extra overhead.

Plus, with the rooms being the way they are (and the lack of any other amenities like the constantly bemoaned swimming pool) I'm not sure how many people would be willing to pay for it without the whole attached experience.
It could always be changed to a Value minus resort. No windows but they put views on the screens to make it look like the castle is right outside your room just like the Disney commercials. Lol

MurphyJoe

Maybe it's just truly too unique of a thing for people to grasp until it's up and running and people who've done it start describing the experience, though - assuming the experience pays off, of course.

Obviously, real-life cruises offer filler stuff like cards or bingo because they need to have something to keep people busy with for part of their transportation time. I'm sure that's what Disney is trying to emulate here.

The question is, will someone get blasted in the chest and dragged out in front of you during the middle of a card game or is it really just Disney feeling they can cheap out by going this route?

We won't know until reviews from guests who had to pay their own way start coming in.

I've figured the card games and such is Disney trying to figure out in-universe filler for the experience so there's something always happening which doesn't require serious improv, scripting, or staffing for several hundred guests. It's one thing to have an exciting plotline for a small group, it's another for even the limited number of people booked on each "sailing". Which is another reason I'm looking forward to the reviews. How much can any one group do that's not multiple groups smushed together? There's only so much smuggled cargo that can fit in the hold, ya know?

On the topic of longevity, I can see Disney offering discounted land and space, and land, sea, space packages if bookings aren't as high as they'd like for the Starcruiser. Kinda like the "free" dining plans which used to be on offer at times during the year.

MrPromey

Big reason I tour solo or with one other. I'm there for the horrah not to wait in lines

There is something to be said for the shared group experience when you are with the right sized like-minded group.

For these kinds of events, getting that mix of people right is the challenge, though.

I did, for a while, have a small all-business-kinda' click that would do these things and immediately shutdown the outlier who didn't have doing every event-specific offering that night at the head of their agenda.

It was glorious.

Thinking back, it was also kind of insane and I feel a bit sorry now for the people who didn't realize they were supposed to eat dinner before showing up but it was glorious.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
As someone who never plans to stay there, I'm very curious how this all turns out and would like to see videos of what some of the activities are like.

Overall this topic is very entertaining and can't wait to see what happens to the prices and bookings for this experience.

I think the concept in a very broad way is a great one, but it feels like they're pushing the immersion way too much for it to be relaxing, but again I'm not the target audience. The question Disney will be having to answer is whether the target audience is large enough and whether they can satisfy very demanding customers. Seeing how barren a lot of Galaxy's Edge is...I'm not sure.

skypilot2922

As we all can see, TWDC used the pandemic as an excuse to make changes to the parks, changes they always wanted to do. They got rid of the highest paid talent in the parks as well as thousands of front line castmembers, I am guessing many has a lot of time in and we’re getting paid higher than average, introduced park pass reservations, countless changes in food offerings, sky rocketing prices on everything, cut operating hours, and much more in the name of COVID.

You don’t actually think Joe Rohde left on this own, do you?
Have you seen the stock price?

When the inevitable backlash against all the cuts hits which it will because even ‘normals’ coming back from WDW are unhappy with quality of services.

The seeming invincibility of WDW is largely due to ‘revenge travel’ once that wave breaks and when the MARVEL movies start doing ‘black widow’ type numbers the stock is going to crash hard. In pilot speak ‘auger job’ or as the authorities would say ‘Uncontrolled flight into terrain’

To an extent streaming is the future, but the bobs embraced it the wrong way and the wrong reasons. With black Widow they thought by streaming they would not have to share revenue with anyone. What happened was yes the neckbeard set watched it on their phones, most others skipped it. Because lets face it movies are and always have been a communal experience this is especially true for superhero flucks.
100% agree and I don't think it ever should be considered as a resort-wide change nor do I think it would ever have worked at one, regardless of how big or small AKL is.

But as an optional add-on that would work there, it got me thinking about Star Wars and how they could have probably done something with levels to it that would have appealed to a wider audience, had base prices accessible to a wider audience on a larger plot of land, and maybe had more staying power (and been easier to convert to a new theme when/if they needed to) if they'd gone with it...

They wouldn't have satisfied the itch of the almost-crazy-doesn't-understand-it's-not-real crowd that it feels like they're going for here but it feels like something that would have worked better with their existing audience and satisfied more fans/guests/consumers.

Also, I think one issue with what they're doing is that Star Wars has a huge fan base spread across all demographics of age, sex, and income and by creating a boutique experience that only caters to a very tiny sliver of that (largely due to price) what you're seeing is a lot of people ****ed that Disney is making this awesome thing that hits them right in the "I want" places and adding it to a vacation spot that serves tens of millions of people a year but is putting it out of the reach of the vast majority of them.

Some of these reactions are emotional and without logic but it's not hard to expect them and it's weird that it seems like Disney either didn't or decided they didn't care - not just because we expect Disney to be nice but because there is all that money and loyalty sentiment they're potentially flushing.

Not to mention, as something that could grow to a property-wide thing across the moderate to deluxe resorts, an-upcharge-add-on extraviganza with the potential to pull more on-property guests out of the parks (helping crowds), possibly add more days to some guests' stays, and provide real and unique experiences for guests willing to pay while not screwing anything up for people who didn't, it feels like something that could check a few different boxes for Disney.

Dad and the kinds could book a lightsaber buying and training experience at the Star Wars resort in the afternoon while mom hangs back at the pool where they're staying at the Grand Floridan and the grandparents do the basket weaving class at AKL scheduled for the same time slot.. then all meet back up early evening for dinner and a trip to a park with fireworks and maybe a quick ride or two before calling it a night.

This seems like it would fit perfectly with how they structure their multi-day ticket pricing, too for encouraging longer stays and woudl be something that would be truly blue ocean since "Only Disney™) has the breadth to offer such variety in a single place with so many potential themes...

Again, it could be like the Disney Institute concept but much looser with both itinerary and/or track and pick-and-choose options. Again, with priority booking availability for those opting for the whole track since we all know things like "light saber training" are going to be way more popular than space cards - this could encourage people to buy into the space cards to make sure they can do the light saber training... just like feeding giraffes would probably be more fun than basket-weaving but giving priority to those who buy the "bundle" would help fill the basket-weaving class that some might call filler like the space cards are being called, here.

Admittedly, taking what they already have and used to include and slicing it up into up-charges and offereing themed cupcakes is easier, though. 🤷‍♂️

... which makes the way they went all-in on this Star Wars concept even more confusing to me.

Obviously you have never met a member of the 501’st Legion (Cosplay group) if you had you would understand perfectly. Especially the Stormtroopers and Pilots they spend THOUSANDS on making a screen accurate costume. Disney will have no trouble filling this hotel for years. My wife and her bestie do General Organa and Rey, I’ve put a lot of work into making a screen accurate staff. And they will probably sign up on day one of registration. It’s not for me but i do understand the appeal

matt9112

The price point (lower than I expected) indicates to me that you are basically paying for unique all-inclusive accommodations plus a half-day in SWGE and a few other unique/brief activities. Pretty similar to a family of four living it up for 3 days/2 nights at WDW…
$2000 for two nights at a better WDW club level rooms
$600 for two signature dinners
$200 for two breakfasts/lunches
$800 for two park days
$400 for a dessert party
= $4000

Uhhh yeah ok pal.

matt9112

I'm laughing over all this blow up over a 5k price point...

From the community that routinely stays at Disney hotels charging $600+ a night... pays $75/head to eat mediocre food at the castle... will pay $100/person to not stand in the crowd for fireworks..

People are routinely dropping 10k+ on a Disney vacation like it's ritual.. and people are acting like coming up with 5k is asking for a kidney. Some of you are paying that much in DVC dues every year...

Its true this boards demographic seems to at a glance skew toward the well off however im sure some of them dont find value in it? Im poor so it dosen't matter but if i was rich i would have experienced things all over the world yes? I dont think this can hold a candle to some other options out there.

Sailor310

The video by the team that made this is worth watching. Seems that you also MIGHT get to be part of a "video game" that fires laser cannons at attackers, from the bridge.

MrPromey

Obviously you have never met a member of the 501’st Legion (Cosplay group) if you had you would understand perfectly. Especially the Stormtroopers and Pilots they spend THOUSANDS on making a screen accurate costume. Disney will have no trouble filling this hotel for years. My wife and her bestie do General Organa and Rey, I’ve put a lot of work into making a screen accurate staff. And they will probably sign up on day one of registration. It’s not for me but i do understand the appeal

Oh, I absolutely have.

Here in Florida, Disney has an interesting "professional" relationship with many of them.

I'm friends with a few and am loosely acquainted with more.

Why do you think I made the joke about offering alternative premium experiences for spouses and significant others including such things as divorce attorney consultations a while back? ;)

I immediately sent texts out when the news broke and the responses back were incredibly mixed.

A few said they knew friends that had been saving since the original announcements without even knowing the cost so they could jump on it.

A lot of them that aren't single can't get their SO to sign off on that kind of an expense for a one-time experience that nobody else in their family cares about* and a lot of them were not impressed by what was being offered but I'm sure some only take that stance because they know they can't afford it.

They've all done GE and I've made the mistake more than once of asking what they've thought of it (there is some weridness around Smuggler's Run I don't really understand) so there is also some skepticism.

There are some that just aren't interested in this kind of LARP experience - they go to the celebrations, they have the costumes or they build stuff (or both) and love talking about this stuff and getting attention with their droids or in their costumes but aren't looking to actually do play pretend with paid actors humoring them.

I'm sure there are a lot in that group that would love to do some things like the lightsaber training as it's own limited experience, though if it's well done.

One said a whole bunch would be more interested if it were set during the original trilogy - same complaint many have regarding GE.

Of course, my social net and conversations are purely anecdotal. Perhaps your experience with others you know has been different.

I'm sure a good number of 501st will do this at least once (I have no idea what official worldwide member numbers look like for 501st) but a whole bunch won't for a variety of reasons and regardless of how much of that group is into this sort of thing, it doesn't represent an endless supply of customers so after those who want to and can, do it, a lot about it would need to be dynamic for them to be repeat customers.

EDITED TO ADD:
These are people who complained about Last Flight to Endor being a shameless money-grab but then all paid to attend, anyway. Still, that wasn't a couple grand per person...

*There are a few that seem to successfully on-board their kids but most who have kids seem to eventually make them hate it as much as their wives and girlfriends unless they're fully-vested in the 'lifestyle' along with them.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I've figured the card games and such is Disney trying to figure out in-universe filler for the experience so there's something always happening which doesn't require serious improv, scripting, or staffing for several hundred guests. It's one thing to have an exciting plotline for a small group, it's another for even the limited number of people booked on each "sailing". Which is another reason I'm looking forward to the reviews. How much can any one group do that's not multiple groups smushed together? There's only so much smuggled cargo that can fit in the hold, ya know?

On the topic of longevity, I can see Disney offering discounted land and space, and land, sea, space packages if bookings aren't as high as they'd like for the Starcruiser. Kinda like the "free" dining plans which used to be on offer at times during the year.
I would actually prefer to be with other people doing at least some of the activities. Role playing with a group is more fun than role playing on your own. And if you were a couple and one opts out to the lounge for a cocktails or two, where’s the fun for the other?

If I have knowledge of a spy infiltrating the ship, but only I know about this, where’s the fun in that? Whereas if there’s a random group of six people who are in on the secret, we work together to achieve the next goal. Like an escape room scenario almost.

I have a video still of DH and I doing the Star Trek role playing at Universal from years back. It’s excruciatingly awful. If we’d been put with another group it would have been more fun for us, as there would have been more characters involved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom