News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MurphyJoe

This is a lot of money to spend when compared to just about anything else you'd get at a similar price.

To me, that's the kicker. Anyone who can afford Starcruiser can also afford an alternative option with more days, experiences, or luxury. Even with die-hard fans who are interested, will they be willing to spend what Disney is asking for what they're receiving in return?

Out of curiosity, I priced out a 3-day cruise with Disney's Cruise Line. For less money than a 2-night Starcruiser experience, I could book a 3-Night Bahamian Cruise from Port Canaveral for 2 in a veranda cabin for what appears to be the most expensive cruise of the year, New Year's Eve. And still have about $1,000 under the Starcruiser price for incidentals and expenses.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To me, that's the kicker. Anyone who can afford Starcruiser can also afford an alternative option with more days, experiences, or luxury. Even with die-hard fans who are interested, will they be willing to spend what Disney is asking for what they're receiving in return?

A lot of the audience for this has probably already spend money on more days, experiences and luxury, this will provide something different they haven't done before.

GimpYancIent

Clearly the Star Wars Star Cruiser experience on the fictitious star ship Halcyon is to be unique, never done before, more than a ride, imaginative, sci-fi experience. Though many compare it to a hotel / resort and others to actual cruises, it is neither. All that said, there is one thing everyone points out and that is the COST. The price point glares at everyone, whether it as pricey exclusive item (that shiny bobble most can not afford) but you can or an item that offers little value for the cost and ultimately not worth it. The current pricing model is not long term sustainable. Initially there will be the first run, fresh and new then the done it, want to move on to something else settles in. I don't see a lot of I Want To Do That Again coming from those that are willing to pay the price.

The_Jobu

It's not a luxury experience, which is one of the things I pointed out a long time ago when the room illustrations were shown, and the first price speculations were floated about.
This is a lot of money to spend when compared to just about anything else you'd get at a similar price.
Anything else at a similar price would bring luxury and pampering.
This is cold, stark, plastic and fiberglass.
Yes, we get the whole experience which is something we've never seen before - and hopefully it's done very well.
I question the audience for this.
Well off Star Wars "geek" couples?
Well off families with kids, who are willing to sacrifice big sums of money for the sake of their kids?
We'll see how long that model is sustainable.

The scary part is, it's probably not the "well off" that will make up the bulk of the customers. Certain fandoms, Disney very much included, will sacrifice to be able to purchase things.

Incomudro

Out of curiosity, I priced out a 3-day cruise with Disney's Cruise Line. For less money than a 2-night Starcruiser experience, I could book a 3-Night Bahamian Cruise from Port Canaveral for 2 in a veranda cabin for what appears to be the most expensive cruise of the year, New Year's Eve. And still have about $1,000 under the Starcruiser price for incidentals and expenses.
I guess if I had a lot of money, and lots of time to take many vacations - and really liked Star Wars or had kids that (still) do - I'd simply add this as one of my vacations.
And/or, I had lots of money to part with... And took a regular WDW vacation, I'd tack this on to that WDW vacation.
I suspect people who can do that will make up a good portion of the people that opt for this.

Last edited:

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
I don't see a lot of I Want To Do That Again coming from those that are willing to pay the price
This. I've yet to see anyone (including Disney) talk about it's longevity. Newness is one thing. But I don't know if this multi-million dollar experiment experience will be able to stay afloat longterm. Will it see repeat visitors? It's a fair question.

Club Cooloholic

Each "experience" is like 15 minutes long? Several hours of your "starcruiser" experience is at the park with the rest of the paying customers? Honestly for these prices set aside an extra hour at closing to visit Star Wars land. To each his own but 2 night at this price it better be some damn fine acting by the cast members working that hotel.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This. I've yet to see anyone (including Disney) talk about it's longevity. Newness is one thing. But I don't know if this multi-million dollar experiment experience will be able to stay afloat longterm. Will it see repeat visitors? It's a fair question.

The question is, does it need repeat visitors? At max capacity we are looking at around 70,000 people per year, I assume the actual number needed to make this a success is somewhat less. By comparison, in 2018, the Orlando area had 75 million visitors.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
The question is, does it need repeat visitors? At max capacity we are looking at around 70,000 people per year, I assume the actual number needed to make this a success is somewhat less. By comparison, in 2018, the Orlando area had 75 million visitors.
You think it'll see 70,000 guests per year? Same Year 3, Year 5? Year 10? But to answer your question; I guess it depends on if Disney believes in the longevity of the SW fandom, the appeal of StarCruiser and a continuous stream of new guests to flock to the experience. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Each "experience" is like 15 minutes long? Several hours of your "starcruiser" experience is at the park with the rest of the paying customers? Honestly for these prices set aside an extra hour at closing to visit Star Wars land. To each his own but 2 night at this price it better be some damn fine acting by the cast members working that hotel.
My thoughts exactly.
That "wow!" factor, that doesn't seem to be indicated.
Some amazing event, special effects etc., that would make people say "That was unbelievable!"
As of the information we have now, it's just some character dining with Star Wars themed food, and some minor and short lived light saber training and card games.
I really do want them to have something amazing to reveal.

OceanBlue

You could check in, leave your bags at Bell Services and then either head to the parks or chill at the resort. Pack swimming stuff in a day bag for easy retrieval.

You can check in any time after about 5am, you’re just unlikely to have a room until later.

I’m hoping if we did this in the middle of our stay that our first resort might hold our luggage for us for the two nights, so we could just take what we need with us.
Interesting. Are you allowed to access the pools before your room is ready?

OceanBlue

Ok, a guest pays a hefty price for an immersive experience then actively works to not be immersed?
I imagine this is a partner or teenager who wants to be with the more interested person/family for the duration of the stay but also wants to have option to go somewhere else at Hollywood Studios if they want during the park time.

runnsally

To play devil's advocate, remember - the trip to Batu involves boarding and taking the transport to and from the park.
That in itself is a ride of sorts, and families with kids will certainly enjoy that portion of the trip along with their time spent on the Smuggler's Run and RotR.
Will be interesting to see how they make the transport to Batuu a memorable experience when they are moving approx 400 people (8-10 round trips assuming one transport?) in a short amount of time, albeit for a short distance.

dreamfinder912

I think it's fair to say that Disney has not been clear on who they are targeting with how this has been presented, how the pricing works, and who's going to have the easiest time justifying that money.

Clearly they want whoever is going to spend on it but as with other things (cough, Epcot, cough*) they don't seem to understand or at least, don't want to acknowledge that they create a weird situation when they try to take two unrelated groups and jam them together taking what should be a premium experieince for either and making it something less than for both.

I have a single remote co-worker who just celebrated her 50th birthday who was planning to gift herself a world-wide trip to visit every Diseny park (scuttled, thanks to COVID) who would be first in line for this and would not have blinked twice at the price but who lost lost all interest as soon as she saw the kiddie stuff in the concept art.

She was like:

"Personalized adventure? Sign me up!"

"Fancy adult space beverages? Yes please!"

"Wait, kids running around popping out of air shafts?.. never mind"

This was all before pricing was announced. I'm sure the announced pricing would not have been a show-stopper for her, though.

And that's someone with disposable money, just a little out-of-state with an AP who comes at least a few times a year, always stays on property and already understands the typical demographics of guests in the resorts and parks.

I think we're likely to see the marketing and offerings evolve on this to better cater to whichever group is more willing to spend - dad who can rope his family in or 50-year-old-single-lady (or guy) who can rope a friend in.

*i.e. the family on vacation along side the 20-somethings who want to drink-around-the-world. What could possibly go wrong, there?.. and through no real fault of either group that paid to be there.
THIS

1000000x this. This weird habit of Disney's of just going pure HOW CAN WE GET MONEY forces two groups who don't want anything to do with each other to share the same space. It's why I never got to go to Club Villain. Never mind that it was an open bar, with more grown up food offerings, and compleeeetely (for Disney) adult entertainment...they still let kids in. And in doing so started a fight between those with and without children.

Person with children at a club event with an open bar "there are so many DRUNKS around my CHILD, this is for CHILDREN how DARE"

Person without children at a club even with an open bar "why...are there children here? in a club? a club with unlimited drinks?"

And the solution was staring them in the face, but they just never did it. 5pm club villain? all ages. 8pm club villain? 21+

I see a lot of the same problems popping up with this experience. LARPing? Heists? Fancy drinks? ~captains table~ YUS
....screaming children....everywhere? air vents? no. please. either split the "voyages" to have like mostly family days and a few adults only days....or make that arts and crafts event into one of those cruise ship daycare things (or even the other way around, make the lounge 21+) either way respect the two groups you're marketing to simultaneously don't actually necessarily WANT to be around each other the entire time. give us a way to participate separately if only for a few hours. It's a multi generational fandom. Treat it as such.

**disclaimer, i'm the dirty rotten childless millennial that's been excited about this since it was announced. i'm also not mega loaded, i'm just a saver by nature and covid cancelled my honeymoon 3 times over now so...like stupid amounts of vacation money are waiting to be spent on a stupid vacation**

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom