News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

drew81

I wonder about this. If (for example) Guests arrive at DHS at 8 AM for an 8:30 AM opening, are they going to be expected to stand around for 30 minutes? Are they going to let them into Galaxy's Edge early? (Seems expensive since all Galaxy's Edge positions have would have to be manned by Cast Members.) Perhaps there will be some form of entertainment until the park opens at 8:30 AM? Perhaps the Star Wars equivalent of Streetmosphere?

For these prices, Disney (hopefully) will have extra Cast Members playing parts to keep the entertainment going.
And how long will they have to stall if Rise isn’t up and running first thing in the morning?

Disstevefan1

When the inevitable backlash against all the cuts hits which it will because even ‘normals’ coming back from WDW are unhappy with quality of services.

The seeming invincibility of WDW is largely due to ‘revenge travel’ once that wave breaks and when the MARVEL movies start doing ‘black widow’ type numbers the stock is going to crash hard. In pilot speak ‘auger job’ or as the authorities would say ‘Uncontrolled flight into terrain’

To an extent streaming is the future, but the bobs embraced it the wrong way and the wrong reasons. With black Widow they thought by streaming they would not have to share revenue with anyone. What happened was yes the neckbeard set watched it on their phones, most others skipped it. Because lets face it movies are and always have been a communal experience this is especially true for superhero flucks.

Obviously you have never met a member of the 501’st Legion (Cosplay group) if you had you would understand perfectly. Especially the Stormtroopers and Pilots they spend THOUSANDS on making a screen accurate costume. Disney will have no trouble filling this hotel for years. My wife and her bestie do General Organa and Rey, I’ve put a lot of work into making a screen accurate staff. And they will probably sign up on day one of registration. It’s not for me but i do understand the appeal
In response to your reply to my post. TWDC including the theme parks are invincible period. I continue below.

In response to your reply about the 501’st, I don’t think the Starcruiser will be immersive enough for them; needless to say they will not be allowed to wear their costumes they spent thousands on making.

I suspect the Starcruiser may get visitors for a time period but at some point Disney will decide it’s not making ENOUGH money to stay as this type of resort then it will go into a big renovation and get converted to something “in response to guests needs”. DVC maybe????

In any event, I stick with my relatively new opinion; TWDC is invincible; there is no mistake TWDC can make that would hurt them. They just change as needed; THAT IS WHAT COMPANIES THAT SURVIVE DO and that is what Disney does really well.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No it doesn’t. The logistics of that would be a nightmare.

This is a two day stay, everyone checks in and out on the same day. Then they turn over the rooms and welcome the next set of guests. Personally I’m not sure they can do that 4 hours, but I guess you might not get to your room until after 4pm, giving them a bit longer.

The information Disney announced showed two different dinner dining experiences so I think this confirms that everyone will check in on the same day since there doesn't appear to be two dinning rooms.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
In response to your reply to my post. TWDC including the theme parks are invincible period. I continue below.

In response to your reply about the 501’st, I don’t think the Starcruiser will be immersive enough for them; needless to say they will not be allowed to wear their costumes they spent thousands on making.

I suspect the Starcruiser may get visitors for a time period but at some point Disney will decide it’s not making ENOUGH money to stay as this type of resort then it will go into a big renovation and get converted to something “in response to guests needs”. DVC maybe????

In any event, I stick with my relatively new opinion; TWDC is invincible; there is no mistake TWDC can make that would hurt them. They just change as needed; THAT IS WHAT COMPANIES THAT SURVIVE DO and that is what Disney does really well.
That’s some mighty powerful pixie dust.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Check-in seems to be between 1 PM to 4 PM. My guess is that most will show up soon after 1 PM in order to maximize the experience. This means having to valet park and collect luggage for about 50 cars in less than 1 hour. For this price, Disney better be staffed to accommodate each arrival within 5 minutes. So perhaps 10 bellhops? (Presumably these Cast Members have other rolls once all Guests have arrived.) Perhaps there will be Cast Members outside providing some sort of entertainment (i.e. distraction) until all arriving Guests have been processed?

i would expect pre assigned boarding times like you have with the cruise ships. To avoid this similar problem… want to avoid everyone at once.

also with the transportation example… expect people to be assigned waves to spread the load. The itinerary we see is an example, not necessarily the time table for everyone.

i think the bigger choke point will be on the return leg. Much higher chance of people having to queue up and wait as herding cats like this is hard

danlb_2000

Premium Member
i would expect pre assigned boarding times like you have with the cruise ships. To avoid this similar problem… want to avoid everyone at once.

also with the transportation example… expect people to be assigned waves to spread the load. The itinerary we see is an example, not necessarily the time table for everyone.

i think the bigger choke point will be on the return leg. Much higher chance of people having to queue up and wait as herding cats like this is hard

I wonder if there will be flexibility in return times? If an earlier shuttle has space will you be able to return before you scheduled time?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wonder if there will be flexibility in return times? If an earlier shuttle has space will you be able to return before you scheduled time?

Again I point to the cruise ship example. They give structure to try to shape the load patterns - but won't flat out reject you if you are past your slot. Obviously there is a drop-dead time, after which alternatives must be found. I assume in the starcruiser example you will have waves.... departure and return. And if you come later, you may have to wait longer.. and if you miss the operating hours, you'll be relegated to a minnie van or something to get back (probably on your own dime)

DVCakaCarlF

This logic assumes everyone onboard experiences full utility from every hour of activities, but that simply won't be the case. There will absolutely be parents tagging along who aren't drawn in by the gimmick, as well as kids with short attention spans who'll be wishing for a pool break.

The Starcruiser also doesn't look particularly big, meaning there will only be so much physical content to explore.

I can't be alone in thinking 48 hours of no natural light sounds like a nightmare, barring one brief excursion to Galaxy's Edge. The least they could've done with such a boutique offering is give those inclined an in-theme pool or fitness center, so there's somewhere to decompress when guests are feeling claustrophobic or over it.
It’s amazing that we complain the resorts are becoming too “JW Marriott” yet we also complain when they are too immersive.

It is a solid themed experience catered to those willing to drop both the time and money. Furthermore, this is something you would either start or end a trip on, not “vacation.”

DVCakaCarlF

I wonder about this. If (for example) Guests arrive at DHS at 8 AM for an 8:30 AM opening, are they going to be expected to stand around for 30 minutes? Are they going to let them into Galaxy's Edge early? (Seems expensive since all Galaxy's Edge positions have would have to be manned by Cast Members.) Perhaps there will be some form of entertainment until the park opens at 8:30 AM? Perhaps the Star Wars equivalent of Streetmosphere?

For these prices, Disney (hopefully) will have extra Cast Members playing parts to keep the entertainment going.
I would imagine the cast members for this experience would “float” between the park and hotel. As how the cruises staff the island day with their own crews, for the most part.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm guessing they'll be rushing people through breakfast (the only thing you do on the last day) to try to get people out as quickly as possible.
I was speaking about return leg from Batuu..

But departure should be interesting. Typically on a boat people are in a rush to get off because they want to get through customs and onto their next spot without taking all morning in port. In Starcruiser they will probably force people's hand by simply blocking them off from anything else in the place except to usher them out.

How they get so many people loaded out in valet in small batches on a good cadence should also be a nice trick of logistics.

Parker in NYC

If this thing fails and Disney loses money, guess how they will recoup their loss -- by cutting more services and charging you and me more than what they are already doing. So I seriously hope this thing makes it big.
Thank you. This can’t be overstated.

People keep waiting for Chapek’s demise and I’m here like… yeah, that’ll be the day COVID ends.

GimpYancIent

I was speaking about return leg from Batuu..

But departure should be interesting. Typically on a boat people are in a rush to get off because they want to get through customs and onto their next spot without taking all morning in port. In Starcruiser they will probably force people's hand by simply blocking them off from anything else in the place except to usher them out.

How they get so many people loaded out in valet in small batches on a good cadence should also be a nice trick of logistics.
One suggestion (not going to happen) but escape pods similar to how you exit RotR. That would put some life in to the end of the experience.

Incomudro

It’s amazing that we complain the resorts are becoming too “JW Marriott” yet we also complain when they are too immersive.

It is a solid themed experience catered to those willing to drop both the time and money. Furthermore, this is something you would either start or end a trip on, not “vacation.”
Your last line is a perfect summation.
"This is either something you start or end a trip on, it's not a "vacation."
That's perfect.
I wish more people understood that. It would end the debate over swimming pools etc.
This is a Disney excursion of sorts.
Like Keys to the Kingdom, the Animal Kingdom back tour of the Safari etc.
Only it lasts longer, and you get to sleep in it for two nights.

doctornick

I expect they'll run this twice a week assuming they have that much interest. I don't think they'll do 3x a week but maybe I'm wrong.
I think they’ll run it 3 times a week. I’m more curious if they’ll do it 3 times a week (one empty day each week with the same check in days all the time) or 3.5 times (runs every day and check in days change every week). I personally am guessing 3 days a week and they’ll have one day every week to fix any issues and give all cast a day off.

In the longer run, if demand wanes, they can always do fewer boardings a week.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom