Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

Tony Perkis

05A77DD5-41B9-4C89-AA87-13A8228A4596.jpeg

Mike S

At least we can be united in our dislike of this Trilogy now 🤣

Honestly I really did want something new from this Trilogy. New bad guys, new threats, new and interesting characters. I was also very excited to see the old heroes return. I wanted to see Luke Skywalker as a Jedi Master training our new main protagonist in the true ways of the Jedi. I wanted one last ride with Han Solo (which I did get) since I was sure he would die anyway because that’s what Ford has wanted forever. Leia was fine in what they’ve done but the Jedi training with Luke sort came out of left field but ok I guess since I assumed this probably happened at some point anyway. I just didn’t expect it to actually happen on screen. The fact we never got all 3 on screen together for even one scene is a travesty to me.

Instead we got a new Empire, the same old Emperor behind everything, and 1 and thousands of planet destroying super weapons. Amazing. Also Han and Leia essentially got divorced and Luke is a hermit. Fantastic 😒

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Just a couple of questions. Palpatine is alive and Luke couldn't have sensed it while he was alive? Kylo either? If "Force Healing" is now part of canon - why didn't Palpatine just heal Anakin instead of turning him into a half cyborg? And why didn't Rey heal Luke? How come Rey didn't "disappear" when she died, but Kylo and Luke do?

Is Star Wars the Skywalker saga? Or is it now the Palpatine's? I mean honestly the climax of the Skywalker saga is two Palpatines fighting?

Tony Perkis

Just a couple of questions. Palpatine is alive and Luke couldn't have sensed it while he was alive? Kylo either? If "Force Healing" is now part of canon - why didn't Palpatine just heal Anakin instead of turning him into a half cyborg? And why didn't Rey heal Luke? How come Rey didn't "disappear" when she died, but Kylo and Luke do?
Because....reasons.

Mike S

Is Star Wars the Skywalker saga? Or is it now the Palpatine's? I mean honestly the climax of the Skywalker saga is two Palpatines fighting?
Another one to add, are we just ok with how much Force Ghosts can manipulate the physical world now? If they can do this why don’t they just go fight Palpatine? You can’t kill a ghost after all.

I preferred it when they were just guides for the living.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Another one to add, are we just ok with how much Force Ghosts can manipulate the physical world now? If they can do this why don’t they just go fight Palpatine? You can’t kill a ghost after all.

Alec Guinness once called Star Wars “rubbish”...

But it took the magic of Disney to make it happen 😉

Wendy Pleakley

I can't imagine every Jedi can always detect every other force user. It varies based in part on the relationship between the individuals? Palpatine was able to hide himself from Luke just as he hid his true nature in the prequels?

Anakin lost his limbs. Can't force heal that. Rey wasn't next to Luke when he died so can't heal him either.

Why didn't Rey disappear? Fair question. Maybe she knew to hang on, just like Leia didn't disappear instantly either.

Wendy Pleakley

That was my question after ghost Yoda shot lightning into a tree in the TLJ. If he can do that, why didn't he just float into the Death Star and zap the reactor?

But, you have to let a certain amount of these things go when it comes to movies.

Mike S

That was my question after ghost Yoda shot lightning into a tree in the TLJ. If he can do that, why didn't he just float into the Death Star and zap the reactor?

But, you have to let a certain amount of these things go when it comes to movies.
I wish I didn’t have to and writers could just see something like that coming.

AEfx

It was so much better than it could have been, and while I have my issues with J.J. - he really rescued the series as best as could have been done, after the utter dumpster fire of TLJ.

My primary concern was what they were going to do with Leia - she is Star Wars to me - she was so criminally underused in TFA and to a lesser extent in TLJ, that it’s a damn miracle they did what they did. I see some of the complaints about it - but had we gone into it not knowing how it was done, I don’t think we would have known. Somehow, it worked, and while I can’t forgive him for underusing her so in TFA, given the circumstances I am as satisfied as I could possibly have been with what was done here.

As for the rest...honestly, as terrible as TLJ was in so many respects, I was happy that they dug out from under it at least somewhat. The biggest issue with TLJ for me was that there are a good dozen scenes and moments in TFA where it was clearly indicated that Rey was “someone”. I didn’t care who she turned out to be, but it was crystal clear that Leia, etc. knew who she was and it was a big secret. I personally didn’t care WHO she turned out to be, so I was perfectly pleased with how they resolved it.

What has been really fascinating to me is reading the reviews from people who are trashing this movie but loved TLJ...it is like every defense they had about TLJ is coming back to haunt them. TLJ basically crapped all over TFA and everything that it set up, and I am amazed that people thought that J.J. wouldn’t actually use this film to correct that.

I can’t say I loved it - when Carrie died, Star Wars kind of died with it for me in a way - but as I said above, they were able to craft a somewhat satisfying ending for her, so I have at least made my peace with it.

Overall, I think the entire ST (or as people are now calling it, the DT - Disney trilogy) is going to go down historically as a massive missed opportunity in general. They made the entire thing too complicated and ultimately I don’t think they satisfied anyone. I wish they had just done the obvious to begin with - bring back the heroes on an epic adventure, introducing the new characters on the way - but here we are, and it’s done - like the PT, it has its moments. If you splice together stuff from the three films, there is one decent movie somewhere in there. Just not one I’m ever going to be truly passionate about.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, here’s my take.

I feel that each of these three new films succeed as standalone movies.
Having said that, I feel like they completely failed both as a three-act trilogy as well as the conclusion of the nine part saga. In the former, nearly every film contradicted a major plot point from its predecessor, and as for the latter, I didn't find any major plot points adding to the mythology.

Like the prequels or not, they were so inventive! The sequel trilogy made me miss that creativity.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I'll also say, I'm very interested in watching the movie with JJ's audio commentary when it's released.

Having knowledge of why certain decisions were made almost always increases my appreciation of a film. And this one should be interesting.

I’d like to know a little of the story about the Anakin decision. Was it truly Kennedy? Or is there a bit more to the story. I don’t think he’ll necessarily expand on that. But I do think it will come out over time.

FWIW I think Anakin as force ghost could have gotten some real play over the entire trilogy. Especially episodes VIII and IX

Rich Brownn

I

My primary concern was what they were going to do with Leia - she is Star Wars to me - she was so criminally underused in TFA and to a lesser extent in TLJ, that it’s a damn miracle they did what they did. I see some of the complaints about it - but had we gone into it not knowing how it was done, I don’t think we would have known. Somehow, it worked, and while I can’t forgive him for underusing her so in TFA, given the circumstances I am as satisfied as I could possibly have been with what was done here.
Each of the original cast was to have the film center around them. In TFA it was Han. In TLJ it was Luke. Unfortunetly this was to be Leia's movie.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Okay. I gotta keep repeating it. Until it’s ingrained. Vader did not kill Palpatine. Vader did not kill Palpatine. Vader did not kill Palpatine.....................

A few thousand more times and I should be good. Wish me luck

Next time I watch RotJ I’ll laugh and say. “Ha Ha he lives. You sacrificed for nothing, Vader. And your kid ends up a hermit...milking a space cow”.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Okay. I gotta keep repeating it. Until it’s ingrained. Vader did not kill Palpatine. Vader did not kill Palpatine. Vader did not kill Palpatine.....................

A few thousand more times and I should be good. Wish me luck

Next time I watch RotJ I’ll laugh and say. “Ha Ha he lives. You sacrificed for nothing, Vader. And your kid ends up a hermit...milking a space cow”.

He *did* save his son. And that should be enough, unless one is against protecting one's children.

He also distracted and kept the Emperor from interfering with the ground mission to take down the force field. His son did train Rey and then enabled the remnant of the Resistance to escape. He son then kept Rey from hiding out like he did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom