Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

erasure fan1

The Force Awakens was the Endgame of Star Wars. The sequel fans had been waiting for since 1983.

With the original cast out of the picture by Episode 9, it was never going to be an Endgame type event (a movie that concluded a decade of story telling).

Maybe had they done things differently and it had actually been the conclusion of the Skywalker saga, it could have done better. It was ultimately the conclusion to the Palpatine saga, and the conclusion to the story of Rey & company (characters people generally seem to like, but not to the degree fans have obsessed over Luke, Han, and Leia for decades).
I agree. That's what a lot of us are saying. The way this trilogy was executed was baffling to say the least. Everything you just said supports the, its not fatigue, just poor execution, argument and why people are unhappy with Kennedy. I think we agree more than you think we do.

Mike S

I agree. That's what a lot of us are saying. The way this trilogy was executed was baffling to say the least. Everything you just said supports the, its not fatigue, just poor execution, argument and why people are unhappy with Kennedy. I think we agree more than you think we do.
Harrison Ford not really being thrilled about Star Wars was very public knowledge to the point a lot of people expected Han to die in TFA as a possible condition of him coming back. This should’ve been planned that Luke and Leia wouldn’t be sent off until 9 but obviously Carrie died and wouldn’t have been able to do that either. So now all that was left was Luke and a simple edit would’ve kept him around.

Tony Perkis

Such as a precipitous drop in box office, short runs, public firings or multiple directors, script doctors being brought in late for edits and reshoots, and the ceo of an unlimited wealth corporation announcing they’re “taking a step back” from making movies in perhaps the most influential ( and by far most lucrative) film franchise ever?
Stop describing Solo.

Tony Perkis

Correct, no one persons opinion is truth of anything. Not yours, not mine, not anyones. But the truth of the matter is, no matter what side of this you are on, the trilogy divided fans. And I really don't think that is what Disney wanted to do.
A trilogy that divides fans isn’t inherently bad. Same for a singular film. Yet, for some dumb reason, people piggyback on the idea that divisive means bad, which is not any sort of truth.

Mike S

Correct, no one persons opinion is truth of anything. Not yours, not mine, not anyones. But the truth of the matter is, no matter what side of this you are on, the trilogy divided fans. And I really don't think that is what Disney wanted to do.
Maybe not Disney but it’s what Rian wanted to do.

A trilogy that divides fans isn’t inherently bad. Same for a singular film. Yet, for some dumb reason, people piggyback on the idea that divisive means bad, which is not any sort of truth.
For a big franchise movie meant to make as much money and as many people happy as possible, yes it is.

Joesixtoe

I don't believe Disney wanted to divide the fanbase. What's concerning is Disney I guess thought disrespecting fan favorites and replacing them with their own was an ok thing to do. Like its Star Wars so we will eat this stuff up. No no, Star Wars is character driven, not universe driven.

RobWDW1971

He’s correct. That was a generational film, not just the next entry. Hence, the inflated box office grosses compared to its counterparts.
Oh, I agree that the nostalgia for the original, better movies drove interest, no question. But Endgame was the finale of a series of near-term movies that paid off those current characters’ stories and arcs so the comparison is ridiculous. Rise of Skywalker is their Endgame - just nobody cared.

RobWDW1971

I don't believe Disney wanted to divide the fanbase. What's concerning is Disney I guess thought disrespecting fan favorites and replacing them with their own was an ok thing to do. Like its Star Wars so we will eat this stuff up. No no, Star Wars is character driven, not universe driven.
It’s worse than that - when they DID give us new characters like Rogue One and Mandalorian it worked - the Disney Star Wars trilogy lazily used the original OT characters as a crutch and then disrespected them.

Mike S

Its eerie how The Last Jedi is the only movie he has achieved that with.
None of his other movies were big enough I guess. I’d also imagine it’s hard to get this type of visceral reaction with an original work. People are more likely to just forget it and move on if it wasn’t messing with anything pre established.

Tony Perkis

None of his other movies were big enough I guess. I’d also imagine it’s hard to get this type of visceral reaction with an original work. People are more likely to just forget it and move on if it wasn’t messing with anything pre established.
That’s fairly demeaning to his past work. Looper, Brick, more recently Knives Out, are all excellent.

Tony Perkis

It’s worse than that - when they DID give us new characters like Rogue One and Mandalorian it worked - the Disney Star Wars trilogy lazily used the original OT characters as a crutch and then disrespected them.
Rogue One isn’t very good. Good last 45 minutes with a who-cares character base.

Mike S

That’s fairly demeaning to his past work. Looper, Brick, more recently Knives Out, are all excellent.
I meant forget it and move on if they didn’t like it and the visceral reaction was referring to what came about with TLJ. None of his other movies have this big of a fight around them because none of them were this high profile or messing with a pre established franchise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom