Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

Tony Perkis

They decide to have Shuri clown Banner.

Absolutely not true.

Avengers: Age of Ultron established when they created Vision that they didn’t have a clear idea of how it would work. They were working with strictly theoretical science that was completely unproven.

Black Panther clearly established Wakanda as technologically superior by a vast margin to the rest of the world, and it was additionally highlighted that Shuri is the smartest and lead scientist for said technological Mecca.

So, when Shuri makes a crack at Banner, it isn’t because the film is trying to tear down Banner. The joke works because it’s a funny exchange based on past previously established expectations within the Marvel films.

That was not an example of demasculining a man, but it’s quite telling that’s where your mind went.

Jimmy Thick

Just drove by my local theater and it’s completely dead which never is the case on Christmas Eve. I do remember TLJ and it being packed so this, while not at all scientific is pretty telling. It’s also warmer than usual so can’t blame weather.

Right now Disney must be happy with Universal releasing Cats the same weekend as ROS, no matter how bad ROS is Cats has it beat in every possible category.

No Name

The biggest problem with TLJ was Finn and Rose’s waste of time. It had no real importance and isn’t good filmmaking by any measure. Further, no character dynamic was built. Also purple-hair lady was an anemia, but that’s an obvious. At least TROS has some kind of build and importance, however rushed and sloppy it may be at times.

Rey and Ren were the best part.

They double crossed George Lucas and now Lucas wants nothing to do with the series.
They didn't want his input or direction, the direction of the guy who wrote the whole storyline for the 9 movies.

Notice how Stan Lee participated in all the Marvel movies and Lucas has kept his distance from the new Star Wars productions.

I’m glad Lucas’s involvement ended. He also didn’t write the storyline for all 9.

Rey needs an abusive boyfriend who has, numerous times, tried to murder her. Because that's what being a strong woman means.

You're insane if you think Rey and Kylo are a good pairing.

It takes someone particularly strong to recognize change and forgive the past. Kylo’s change is not as fleshed-out as it should’ve been but he obviously changes.

So Kylo and Rey were not a good pairing, you’re absolutely correct. But Ben and Rey are, in my opinion.

Last edited:

mf1972

65C98707-7B5F-4514-BE13-62FFAF5A0319.jpeg

merry christmas to one & all here on wdwmagic!

erasure fan1

Absolutely not true.

Avengers: Age of Ultron established when they created Vision that they didn’t have a clear idea of how it would work. They were working with strictly theoretical science that was completely unproven.

Black Panther clearly established Wakanda as technologically superior by a vast margin to the rest of the world, and it was additionally highlighted that Shuri is the smartest and lead scientist for said technological Mecca.

So, when Shuri makes a crack at Banner, it isn’t because the film is trying to tear down Banner. The joke works because it’s a funny exchange based on past previously established expectations within the Marvel films.

That was not an example of demasculining a man, but it’s quite telling that’s where your mind went.
Agree to disagree. And what's so telling? The fact that Banners reaction came off as a bumbling fool in my opinion? If it landed for you, great. But for me it was meh, they could have played it better in my opinion. It's a minor thing that I doubt was even done intentionally. It just shows how easy it is to fall into that trope.

Tony Perkis

Agree to disagree. And what's so telling? The fact that Banners reaction came off as a bumbling fool in my opinion? If it landed for you, great. But for me it was meh, they could have played it better in my opinion. It's a minor thing that I doubt was even done intentionally. It just shows how easy it is to fall into that trope.
It’s telling that you went straight to the deconstruction of a man to validate your “woke” conplaint, when a perfectly logical explanation as to why that gag works is present and consistent, based on prior precedent within the MCU.

DonaldDoleWhip

Twitter aside, one can’t underestimate how much damage the Fantastic Beasts screenplays and Cursed Child script have caused among fans of the original Potter saga. All of which accredit JK prominently, whether she penned the Cursed Child or not. They’re literally (or figuratively, in the case of Cursed Child) what the prequels were to Star Wars, and her woke Twitter addendums are like Lucas’s goofy CGI slap-ons and edits in the OT. (‘Actually, I just remembered Hogwarts was always diverse. Macklunkey!’)

Theme parks aside, the Wizarding World is yet another franchise that could benefit from Disney’s mostly-consistent brand management.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Just drove by my local theater and it’s completely dead which never is the case on Christmas Eve. I do remember TLJ and it being packed so this, while not at all scientific is pretty telling. It’s also warmer than usual so can’t blame weather.

Right now Disney must be happy with Universal releasing Cats the same weekend as ROS, no matter how bad ROS is Cats has it beat in every possible category.

Nope, your opinion is purely subjective. Yesterday's numbers show a different picture.

Below is a look at the top 10 pics:

1.) Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (Dis) 4,406 theaters Tues $20M (-32%)/Cume: $226.8M/Wk 1

2.) Jumanji: Next Level (Sony) 4,227 theaters Tues $6.78M (-7%)/Cume: $116.4M/Wk 2

3.) Frozen 2 (Dis) 3665 theaters (-413), Tues $3.4M (-23%)/Cume: $395.1M/Wk 5

4.) Knives Out (LG/MRC) 2535 theaters (-878), Tues $1.67M (-8%)/Cume: $93.4M [The Rian Johnson directed whodunit is expected to feasibly hit $100M this weekend if not before end of 2019]

5.) Uncut Gems (A24) 1,628 theaters (+1623) Tues $1.15M (+1302%)/Cume $1.456M/Wk 2 — in previews
6.) Cats (Uni) 3,380 theaters/Tues $1.08M (-21%)/Cume $9M/Wk 1

7.) Bombshell (LG) 1480 theaters (+1476), Tues $878K (-5%)/Cume $7.3M/Wk 2

8.) Richard Jewell (WB) 2502 theaters, Tues $545K (-1%)/Cume $10.6M/Wk 2

9.) Ford v Ferrari (20th/Dis) 1433 (-1462), Tues $500K (+26%)/Cume $103M/Wk 6

10.) Beautiful Day in Neighborhood (Sony/TriStar) 1524 theaters (-1331) Tues $425K (-4%), Cume: $53.3M/Wk 5

flynnibus

Premium Member

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
And RJ's quote in there just shows he still doesn't understand why people were upset with him. It's not because it's not TFA... or another rehash.

Merry Christmas to all. Let's get back at it.

Love that headline. It should read, "Critically Acclaimed and Audience Panned"

I mean..from my perspective...Rian Johnson has had some good movies. He's done good things. I view him as a decent standalone (Independent) director that has some good ideas and can take an ordinary movie an inject some life in it. But he has no business directing (writing for) a well established franchise that has a 40 year track record. It's not his thing (and his thing isn't necessarily bad - it's just bad for this franchise. And the round peg doesn't fit into the square hole - in this instance.)

At this point we would have been better off with M. Night Shyamalan writing and directing the Disney Trilogy - and having it play out as the fantasy of some kid standing in an hour line at Space Mountain. Would have probably been a better trilogy - 'cause the kid would have been a fan.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom