Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Mark Hamill is not Luke. Mark Hamill is an actor who is paid to perform the words other people write for him.

However, your calm and rational comments on the movie are most welcome :rolleyes:
yeah because actors NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF FILM EVER HAVE A SAY IN HOW THEY PORTRAY THEIR CHARACTER OR THEIR STORY ARCS. I suppose you think ANYONE can be Luke or anyone can play Indiana Jones or anyone can play Iron Man since the actors are just interchangeable because all they do is read written words. :rolleyes: back at ya big boy

Tony Perkis

The narrative change has been fascinating here. I have said this is the true litmus test for if the last jedi backlash was just a small minority or not. Interesting how it has moved from "everyone loved it except for a small very vocal minority " to "critics said it was great, the fans are idiots."
For the record, TLJ supporters don’t really acknowledge people who declare that film as the death of the series. We laugh and think you’re all being ridiculous.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Rey - strong woman - who (up until IX) had no flaws. And continually put Kylo in his place.
No she is still flawless in RISE OF SKYWALKER in fact they made her more of a MarySue by giving her super jedi powers of force healing, transporting physical items through the force. and being the conduent for every jedi ever to enter her womanhood to make her a super jedi who wields 2 sabers and takes out the emperor once and for all which makes the entire ot and vader's and luke's arcs in the original films pointless.

LSLS

For the record, TLJ supporters don’t really acknowledge people who declare that film as the death of the series. We laugh and think you’re all being ridiculous.

Also for the record. I dont nor have i ever declared star wars dead. I do think it did damage to the series ( and I think its hard to say otherwise, no matter what you thought of the movie). I think there's enough evidence to prove it was not just a tiny minority that didn't like that film.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Rise of Skywalker is a visually stunning, exciting, and deeply satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker Saga.
I didn't get a spoiler out of that guy!
1577196375965.png

Joesixtoe

In a world where it is established that the Force allows you to see the future and where a Sith Lord can destroy entire planets of people with a command. Yeah, I can see him thinking about it for a moment. Remember, this is the Luke who JJ set up as having fled and hidden away. He turned his back on the world.
“Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future” -The Empire Strikes Back. While Yoda is training Luke on Dagobah, Luke is troubled by a Force vision of his friends, Han, Leia, and Chewie, in trouble in Cloud City.

Joesixtoe

And why was he the chosen one? Because he won a lottery to become a Padawan? No. Because it was recognized he had a midichlorian count only surpassed by Yoda. Which he then passed down.

Yes. He did.

Nobody wanted to see a movie about Han Solo? Really? Ok, then. Maybe turning Lando into a Pan-sexual and more identity politics had something to do with it. Just a guess.
Umm actually Anakin had a higher midicholrian count than Yoda sir.. thank you :)

Professortango1

And what did Luke do despite this warning? Acted on an impulse. Because Luke is impulsive.

Its almost like he was a real character in the original trilogy. But don't you dare make him anything less than a stone-faced stoic monk in future films! I get the feeling all the fanbois are basing their idea of Luke on the books and such which came out after the trilogy and are thinking that is the only way that character can progress.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
thinking that is the only way that character can progress.

I'll tell you how he doesn't progress. And that's by turning into a coward, milking a space cow, becoming the king of Porg Island, and fishing with a spear off of a cliff. There's nothing wrong with developing an arc that may diverge a bit from his character. Possibly, give him something meaningful to overcome. The way Rian Johnson addressed this character, it seemed like he resented him for being in the film.

Last edited:

Professortango1

I'll tell you how he doesn't progress. And that's by turning into a coward, milking a space cow, and fishing with a spear off of a cliff. There's nothing wrong with developing an arc that may diverge a bit from his character. Possibly, give him something meaningful to overcome. The way Rian Johnson addressed this character, it seemed like he resented him being in the film.

He did have something meaningful to overcome. He had lost his faith. His sacrifice was incredible. Unfortunately, JJ shat all over it. JJ also ignored the idea of igniting the spark which will reignite the rebellion. JJ and Batman V Superman/Justice League not only dropped the baton when passed to them, they ran around in aimless circles trying to invent new batons. That's why Luke has nothing to do in this movie. He makes such a huge sacrifice and completes his arc...and then comes back to have a 1 minute scene where he flips off the lightsaber moment and raises the X-Wing. Way to drag out his corpse to do nothing but fan service. JJ clearly knew how to use Luke. Bwahaha

erasure fan1

One of the clearest ways "woke" writers intentions manifest is not being able to just write a strong female character who is competent. They have to write an incompetent, failed or bad male character for the female character to outshine. Tear down a man to show the female character is better. It's such an overused cliche.
Great post and so very true. Even Marvel has fallen into this trap. Instead of working together as equals to figure out how to remove the stone from vision in infinity war. They decide to have Shuri clown Banner. And you are completely right that these type of things get noticed. Every point you made about last jedi is spot on. It's not just because someone is a woman hating man child.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
He did have something meaningful to overcome. He had lost his faith. His sacrifice was incredible. Unfortunately, JJ shat all over it. JJ also ignored the idea of igniting the spark which will reignite the rebellion. JJ and Batman V Superman/Justice League not only dropped the baton when passed to them, they ran around in aimless circles trying to invent new batons. That's why Luke has nothing to do in this movie. He makes such a huge sacrifice and completes his arc...and then comes back to have a 1 minute scene where he flips off the lightsaber moment and raises the X-Wing. Way to drag out his corpse to do nothing but fan service. JJ clearly knew how to use Luke. Bwahaha

Johnson regressed him. JJ didn't. I don't agree with keeping him out of TFA the way he was, but Abrams built up the ending. It was up to Johnson to explain what Luke was doing on the island.

So Johnson decides to regress the character so he can build him back up in a mold Johnson was comfortable with. But all he ended up doing is making a half-*ssed attempt at trying to bring him back to the point where he was when RotJ ended (this attempt failed miserably).

Yet somehow the character progressed in the DT? Yeah, ok. Johnson's stupidity negated any character development. But it does sound like the type of logic somebody like Johnson would use.

Last edited:

Joesixtoe

And what did Luke do despite this warning? Acted on an impulse. Because Luke is impulsive.
It doesn't make the future right though. As a young lad in training yes he scurries off to save his homies.. as a jedi master, he I hope would have learned this. Vader was a terror in the galaxy and Luke wanted to save him. Ben was a maybe Kylo bad guy person, and Luke wants to strike him down. Luke Skywalker, the legend, the myth. He was a hero to many a kid growing up.. imagine doing that to Mr. Potter? They wouldn't dare.

Robbiem

It doesn't make the future right though. As a young lad in training yes he scurries off to save his homies.. as a jedi master, he I hope would have learned this. Vader was a terror in the galaxy and Luke wanted to save him. Ben was a maybe Kylo bad guy person, and Luke wants to strike him down. Luke Skywalker, the legend, the myth. He was a hero to many a kid growing up.. imagine doing that to Mr. Potter? They wouldn't dare.

this sums up my disappointment with the Disney films they just don’t understand how much the characters mean to people.

I was three when i first saw star wars and grew up with luke as my idol. I didn’t realise how much he meant to me growing up until i saw the last Jedi where I literally cried

i have no issues with luke having to overcome his fears or facing doubts thats part of the heroic journey but to change his character so much was to destroy what he stood for.
I suspect this may in part be why Rian Johnson made the choices he did - changing lukes characte, killing him, force skype, because he could.

At the end of the day the new trilogy wasnt a trilogy it was three films loosely connected but driven apart by their individual creators egos need to try and show each other who was top dog rather than cooperating on a cohesive story arc

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom