Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a stand-alone, yeah. As part of the series, I thought it was okay. I tend to mentally grade movies on a letter scale, and anything better than a B is enjoyable. I think the most recent movie that blew me away was the Japanese anime “Your Name.” Guess what hack is making the live-action American version. :(

JJ the great.
Endgame hit several key sequences correctly...notably the lakefront at the end...

“...that’s why it’s yours”

Come on...it hit the nerve that 22 movies and 11 years put together...across about 4 different studios!!!

So while endgame was screwy with time travel and didn’t make the best cinematic art form...it hit the right note with fans.

$3,000,000,000 worth of it.

You know the best correlation? A little sci-fantasy movie released in 1983...which I bet I can find on cable playing right now...and nobody ever turns it off when they find it.

That’s “magic”...Disney fans.

Any shot this movie does this? Not any by the INVITED audience guest mixed reactions

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's a bad movie. 🤗
But that's just my own opinion. I know others disagree but I don't really care. That said, I'm still excited to see ROS.
Endgame was just ok on many levels...but it did what you needed to do on a conclusion track...

Heck...it’s kinda “bridge conclusion”’ and that might be even harder to do.

The right kind of fan service...not gratuitous...appropriate.

Here’s what I’m thinking about “excitement” for the rise of the bad robot bank account...

People are gonna walk in there and LOVE it...laugh at the jokes (Star Wars was not a comedy...wasn’t shot that way at all)...they’re gonna talk about how “awesome” the fights are (maybe the 9 rebels left get a ship??)...and they’re gonna praise the “tie ups” with characters brought back (I have to admit I almost bought a ticket to see Rogue/Red Leader)...

Just like the farce awakens. Euphoria and a good night’s sleep on the pillow while visions of sugarplums dance in our heads...

Then we wake up...and again...and again. And the flaws start to gnaw at you. Then maybe you see it again and those things start to burn a little more.

And a few years later: it’s a bad movie in the rear view.

That’s just a hunch.

BrianLo

Ugh.

Remember when a movie was reviewed based on its own merits instead of checking off people’s agendas or expectations? That era seems to have ended.

Yes, I believe that's what critics did with TLJ. Probably why there was such dissonance between fandom and the critiques. Fans had a certain amount expectations (or agendas) of what constitutes Star Wars and the boundaries of the rules of that Universe. TLJ broke some of them and broke old characters in the process.

As an isolated movie it seems like movie critics enjoyed it.

Quinnmac000

RT score is out...at the time of this post 56% ALL critics, top critic score of 17%

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
RT score is out...at the time of this post 56% ALL critics, top critic score of 17%
Even some of the "positive" reviews that are helping the score seem to be shaking the movie's hand while slapping it in the face at the same time.
View attachment 434672

Though one review in particular might be the most reassuring of all for a lot of people.
View attachment 434673

I'll see for myself this weekend.

That’s basically wretched...

Good god...what a disaster.

This is the classic “ace Ventura moment”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Rouge one was good, Solo was alright, Rebels was good, Mandalorian is awesome... what happened to the "Skywalker Trilogy?" Supposedly RoS is fan service, from what I hear about the movie, I don't see any fan service
That review from the Times confirms all the “leaks”....scavenger hunt...twisted “surprise” family revelations...

I don’t know who “fans” are that are serviced by this? Must be the fans of the fast and the furious...

As an FYI...abc’s propaganda wing - GMA - is featuring Star Wars this morning...

Baby yoda

They also took down the “rise of Skywalker opens:” countdown clock they had been running...

PR damage control...

Anders Limpar

It's amazing how someone can watch something and think someone is compelling and someone else can watch something and think the ST3 are dull as dishwater and have no investment in them at all after two entire movies. For the record, I also have no investment in Kylo Ren and think he is nothing more than a cardboard cut out of Vader. BB8 is cute though.

Here are some semi-positive points I have about the ST in the interest of being somewhat balanced.

Starkiller Base battle is cool (but derivative to the nth degree).
A stormtrooper turning good is a cool idea (on the surface but botched in execution).
The beginning of TFA is good (until the MF conveniently pops up next to them and the rest of the film derails from there).
The visual of Crait is cool in a distant cousin to Hoth sort of way.

Btw, I have had tickets for 12/20 for about two weeks now and am still definitely seeing the film.

Last edited:

Villains0501

Haven't posted here for quite some time, but wow! These reviews are much worse than I was expecting. The leaks are true - all of them! Currently having "Game of Thrones" flashbacks!

It'll be interesting to see what the box office is like this weekend. I'm not sure this film will have great legs after OW. And "Cats" is apparently getting better than expected buzz. How strange if that's the true crowd-pleaser this weekend. :cat:

Why, oh why did this trilogy not have a single guiding hand at the helm, a la Feige?

BrianLo

I’m curious to see how the fans react.

I liked TLJ and seemingly the critics did too. It seems like people who liked TLJ’s direction, disliked this movie. Which should prove maybe hopeful to some?

The trilogy suffers from two competing authors. I honestly think if Rian did all three (or JJ I suppose) it would have had the best result.

Fandom has killed my enthusiasm for this sequel oddly enough. The conversation has been exhausting and one I largely dropped out of after a couple of weeks of TLJ.

Mike S

I guess one could say those who loved TLJ don’t like having their expectations subverted.
1*Q4NthbAp31-XWhPGb4Md-A.gif

Do we get to call these reviewers toxic fans and Russian bots now or is this exclusively a one way street?

Disney Analyst

Haha. Critics praised the last two films and fans freaked out. Critics hit this one and fans are like “they right”.

really shows me the absurdity of everyone. But my big feeling now is that if critics don’t like it, fans will probably enjoy it.

mikejs78

Premium Member
So - critics loved TLJ. But no one pays attention to critics and they are overrated. They don't represent the fans. Kathleen Kennedy should be fired.

Now, critics hate RoS. Now the critics hate it because too much fan service, they course corrected from TLJ. Critics are right, Kathleen Kennedy should be fired.

Someone explain this to me please?

Mike S

Haha. Critics praised the last two films and fans freaked out. Critics hit this one and fans are like “they right”.

really shows me the absurdity of everyone. But my big feeling now is that if critics don’t like it, fans will probably enjoy it.
I’m just gleeful they’re getting a taste of how we felt when we saw TLJ and it wasn’t what we wanted. Will they have the self awareness to realize that? Probably not. We’ll still be the toxic ones just for not liking a movie.
So - critics loved TLJ. But no one pays attention to critics and they are overrated. They don't represent the fans. Kathleen Kennedy should be fired.

Now, critics hate RoS. Now the critics hate it because too much fan service, they course corrected from TLJ. Critics are right, Kathleen Kennedy should be fired.

Someone explain this to me please?
We’ve read the leaks we already know the story. We’re not that fond either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom