Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Joesixtoe

It really was a straight bland reboot.

We all were very “kind” to that movie when it came out.

It was our first movie with the realism of sets and live actors since 1983...

But they had really nothing with the characters...no idea if any of them had a purpose. And opened the door to “tinkering” that led to bad things.

It shouldn’t have made what it did...messed up the whole mentality at Disney/LFL.

Here we are
Now that I've looked back on it, it does feel like a reboot but just with Disney's characters...Like I'm almost believing the story of Lucas still gets money for using his characters. Even saying that, I was good with Rey, Fin and Poe. All 3 letter names wow lol, i just realized that. I liked the storm trooper turn good guy, a Skywalker(Rey) who isn't known in the galaxy.. why is she here?? Poe is just a very,very good pilot who is just an overall good guy. Han leaving leia is horrible.. like that's probably worst than death planet.. I've already stated the none happily ever after we got with them.

The_Jobu

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why did the author not name the youtuber who broke the news? Is he trying to take credit for it?
Obviously the speculation is gonna be really intense for the next 6 weeks...last Johnson guaranteed this would happen.

There’s a lot of chatter and it’s not good...however.

It would seem illogical for Disney to release a bad movie...unless they are misreading the whole reality of where they are.

Which probably means it will happen.

sedati

He didn't seem to try lol.. like at all... or maybe he did before TFA.. that is a possibility yes
Didn't he? He didn't kill him off. He basically embarrassed Kylo right in front of all his people and in turn elevated himself and the light side. Who do you think were spreading the story of Luke Skywalker that the kids on Canto Bight were retelling?
While we're at it, who do you think Kylo was communing with through Vader's helmet?
What did Luke really tap into when he looked into the mind of a young slumbering Kylo?

The_Jobu

Obviously the speculation is gonna be really intense for the next 6 weeks...last Johnson guaranteed this would happen.

There’s a lot of chatter and it’s not good...however.

It would seem illogical for Disney to release a bad movie...unless they are misreading the whole reality of where they are.

Which probably means it will happen.

I meant to say the author of the article refers to "sources", but all this information originated from this video (not safe language warning):

erasure fan1

They have consistently misread where they are with star wars. And that is what makes me the most worried about rise of skywalker. They were so confident that Rian dethroned empire strikes back, they gave him a trilogy before ep8 came out. I think I would be more comfortable with ep9 if Disney and Co. weren't so confident.

Mike S

Didn't he? He didn't kill him off. He basically embarrassed Kylo right in front of all his people and in turn elevated himself and the light side. Who do you think were spreading the story of Luke Skywalker that the kids on Canto Bight were retelling?
While we're at it, who do you think Kylo was communing with through Vader's helmet?
What did Luke really tap into when he looked into the mind of a young slumbering Kylo?
I always kind of wondered how the heck the story spread so quickly. Then of course broom boy able to force pull an object towards him with ease and again likely no teacher.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They have consistently misread where they are with star wars. And that is what makes me the most worried about rise of skywalker. They were so confident that Rian dethroned empire strikes back, they gave him a trilogy before ep8 came out. I think I would be more comfortable with ep9 if Disney and Co. weren't so confident.
I’m still trying to surmise how Lucas misread the prequels. But he really didn’t...he just didn’t care till the fans turned on him and shot at his pride.

Disney completely misread it. Like from day one.

Chasing demographics when they didn’t need too...ironic for a brand that pushes Americana and princess more than anything else, huh?

They saw the $2 billion on A New Abrams to be “warranted”...and it was simply gimmick. It was fast and furious event nonsense.

The next couple of years/movies demonstrated how off they were. 2 directors fired on 5 movies? A third might have been close? The only one with full confidence the one who embarrassed them all?

Hubris is the best word

Joesixtoe

That's a good question. I assume he wasn't really communing with anyone. I always thought of it as more of an idol worship.
I think Luke saw a future of Kylos potential, not necessarily who he definitely will be.. and by Luke's actions he put it in motion.. kinda sad u know.. him trying to stop the evil, created it... the future however is always in motion in star wars.

sedati

HAMILL TRASHES A NEW HOPE AND LUCAS!!! RE: DIALOGUE, "WHO TALKS LIKE THIS?" "IS THIS SATIRE?" LUCAS WHOLLY UNWILLING TO TALK ABOUT STAR'S CONCERNS ABOUT TONE! LUCAS DOESN'T EVEN CARE ABOUT BASIC NAME PRONUNCIATION FOR HIS OWN CHARACTERS! LEIA FEMINIST TO THE POINT THAT HAN AND LUKE LOOK LIKE "CHUMPS"!!! HAMILL THOUGHT HAN SOLO SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEAD CHARACTER, LUKE WRITTEN LIKE A SIDEKICK!

Last edited:

sedati

That's a good question. I assume he wasn't really communing with anyone. I always thought of it as more of an idol worship.
I think Luke saw a future of Kylos potential, not necessarily who he definitely will be.. and by Luke's actions he put it in motion.. kinda sad u know.. him trying to stop the evil, created it... the future however is always in motion in star wars.
I think he was communing with someone, though likely not Anakin. I also think Luke didn't understand what he saw when he looked into Kylo's unconscious mind. I don't think his nephew was the source of the dark visions, only the vessel.

Joesixtoe

I think he was communing with someone, though likely not Anakin. I also think Luke didn't understand what he saw when he looked into Kylo's unconscious mind. I don't think his nephew was the source of the dark visions, only the vessel.
I think your thinking Mr Palps was the source? I think Luke saw a possible future and accidentally ignited that future. I mean it was a correct future. Palpatine could have communicated with Kylo through the mask.. it would make sense.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
HAMILL TRASHES A NEW HOPE AND LUCAS!!! RE: DIALOGUE, "WHO TALKS LIKE THIS?" "IS THIS SATIRE?" LUCAS WHOLLY UNWILLING TO TALK ABOUT STAR'S CONCERNS ABOUT TONE! LUCAS DOESN'T EVEN CARE ABOUT BASIC NAME PRONUNCIATION FOR HIS OWN CHARACTERS! LEIA FEMINIST TO THE POINT THAT HAN AND LUKE LOOK LIKE "CHUMPS"!!! HAMILL THOUGHT HAN SOLO SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEAD CHARACTER, LUKE WRITTEN LIKE A SIDEKICK!

Not exactly breaking news unless you climbed out of your Delorean...

Is this your way of saying “there was criticism of the first movies too!!!”

Yeah...whatever works for you as you sleep on that Mickey Mouse pillow 😂

On a different note...this is an interesting analysis:

Anders Limpar

Why are you typing in all caps?

This doesn't make VII any less disappointing as a pure reboot nor does it make VIII suck any less as an appalling awful three decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce!

rowrbazzle

His character would not have told his sister that her son is beyond saving(I believe he said that). Come on, would it not have been much cooler if he showed up in person, raising his ship out of the water(to show an obvious progression and call back from empire), and then sure he somehow can still sacrifice himself, just have Luke there kicking some tail first.. that's all.. the crowd would have gone nuts.

I can see that - how a broken Luke Skywalker was not acceptable to a lot of people. I thought it could've used more time, but was fine with idea overall.

I don't see that ending as being satisfying either. He's not going kill Kylo obviously so what happens? He loses? Then it's Luke Skywalker losing to Kylo Ren. There's no way that would have gone over well with the fans. The way it played out Luke beats Kylo, allows the Resistance to escape, and still remains the eternal hero. I thought it was pretty cool.

Of course he would. My problem is, if that was the plan, it should have come in ep9. Especially when your original plan blows up in your face because of Carries passing. Of course what the original plan was, I'm not a huge fan of either. I can accept what he did. Now how he did it and when, that's when it doesn't hold up for me.

That makes sense to me. I was surprised that she survived the movie too. Given more time with Luke's character, I agree that it would have been more well-received. I think the fault lies more in TFA, though. That is the movie that chose to keep Luke Skywalker away, making it some great mystery.

And I’m guessing little miss perfect can. If that’s how this plays out I’ll just laugh.

Rey makes more sense, though. Yeah, Luke Skywalker is Luke Skywalker, but he's also "just" Kylo's uncle and someone Kylo thinks tried to kill him. Kylo has already shown that he's done with his parents, why would his uncle be any different? He and Rey have some kind of connection and they seem to actually care for each other. If he's going to be redeemed, who else would it be?

erasure fan1

That makes sense to me. I was surprised that she survived the movie too. Given more time with Luke's character, I agree that it would have been more well-received. I think the fault lies more in TFA, though. That is the movie that chose to keep Luke Skywalker away, making it some great mystery.
Agreed, and that's why I said I wasn't a huge fan of the original plan. I think most would have accepted missing Luke, if the payoff was better. Lets face it, Leia wasn't the one that the majority of people wanted to see as the "payoff" in all this. And to double down on it after Carrie passed by not changing ep8. It's just another poor judgment call by Kennedy in my opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed, and that's why I said I wasn't a huge fan of the original plan. I think most would have accepted missing Luke, if the payoff was better. Lets face it, Leia wasn't the one that the majority of people wanted to see as the "payoff" in all this. And to double down on it after Carrie passed by not changing ep8. It's just another poor judgment call by Kennedy in my opinion.

The arndt interview really explains everything

There’s a difference between failure and sabotage

tribbleorlfl

Read online that Ep 9 is a disaster. https://cosmicbook.news/george-lucas-saving-star-wars-test-screenings-disaster

But asking Lucas to save it is like bringing back Jar Jar Binks. Although I'd take him over Ma-Rey Sue any day.

Disney ought to hire Lucas' ex-wife to lend her editing skills to Ep 9. After all, she saved the FIRST film, right?
The referred-to "YouTuber" is a patron saint in the Alt Trek/Fandom Menace community and is full of Bantha poodoo. I have seen these claims refuted by other more credible SW news sources who have stated there have been no public test screenings.

Mike S

Rey makes more sense, though. Yeah, Luke Skywalker is Luke Skywalker, but he's also "just" Kylo's uncle and someone Kylo thinks tried to kill him. Kylo has already shown that he's done with his parents, why would his uncle be any different? He and Rey have some kind of connection and they seem to actually care for each other. If he's going to be redeemed, who else would it be?
Chewbacca ;)

I’m only somewhat kidding around. Or am I? I don’t know just thought it was funny.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom