Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The fact that the Emperor was snoke the whole time is great. The whole throne room scene in last jedi was like a big stage with the red. Snoke was nothing but a puppet Palpatine used to influence Kylo.
I’d be ok wish that...but...big BUT...they have to explain it in the movie and do it intelligently. It can’t be something “unsaid” that later is in some fan fiction esque book.

The beauty of the OT is that it explained everything on a level that was acceptable for all ages. You never felt like the movie wasn’t “for you” at any point...really.

They have massively failed to do that since. This retcon - and that is exactly what it is - with the bad guys can’t be left unsaid. All the deets since Jedi have to be put on the film.

If they do the “Jedi master sypha dyas” thing again...it will be comical

The Grand Inquisitor

I’d be ok wish that...but...big BUT...they have to explain it in the movie and do it intelligently. It can’t be something “unsaid” that later is in some fan fiction esque book.

The beauty of the OT is that it explained everything on a level that was acceptable for all ages. You never felt like the movie wasn’t “for you” at any point...really.

They have massively failed to do that since. This retcon - and that is exactly what it is - with the bad guys can’t be left unsaid. All the deets since Jedi have to be put on the film.

If they do the “Jedi master sypha dyas” thing again...it will be comical
Yeah I agree they absolutely have to explain how the Emperor is back, how he was Snoke, and how he was talking to Kylo through Vader's helmet.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah I agree they absolutely have to explain how the Emperor is back, how he was Snoke, and how he was talking to Kylo through Vader's helmet.
Well...the chances of them doing this within the run time is not looking good.

As much as a I love mcdiarmid...and I do...him showing up walking around after exploding 35 years ago and cackling “I am all powerful! It was all my plan” is like “attack of the clones” laughable....like the gladiator pit would make more sense

Gonna cause even more hate/dissension from old guard fans than killing off the characters to try and market replacements...

The Grand Inquisitor

Well...the chances of them doing this within the run time is not looking good.

As much as a I love mcdiarmid...and I do...him showing up walking around after exploding 35 years ago and cackling “I am all powerful! It was all my plan” is like “attack of the clones” laughable....like the gladiator pit would make more sense

Gonna cause even more hate/dissension from old guard fans than killing off the characters to try and market replacements...
Maybe JJ does have a plan to explain it. It might just be the optimist in me but I really hope they don't explain how the emperor is back. It would be beyond stupid not to explain it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For me I really hope the movie is good and does well. It would great to see if Disney made up for their mistakes.
It would be nice if they committed to making good Star Wars stories for the long haul...and make that their only goal.

Not worry about the money. The fanbase would be strengthened and the money would flow if they just drop the pretences and concentrate on story and characters

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe JJ does have a plan to explain it. It might just be the optimist in me but I really hope they don't explain how the emperor is back. It would be beyond stupid not to explain it.
Abrams isn’t nearly as good and he’s given credit for...he’s not a closer.

Hell...even he admitted it and said it out of the gate in the vanity fair spread two months back.

It looked like hedging

The Grand Inquisitor

It would be nice if they committed to making good Star Wars stories for the long haul...and make that their only goal.

Not worry about the money. The fanbase would be strengthened and the money would flow if they just drop the pretences and concentrate on story and characters
I absolutely agree! Forget the money focus on the story and characters. I was just re watching the return of the jedi the other day while running and I hadn't watched it in a while and it's so good. The originals just show what the Disney movies are lacking. Heart. They just seem like soulless cash grabs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I absolutely agree! Forget the money focus on the story and characters. I was just re watching the return of the jedi the other day while running and I hadn't watched it in a while and it's so good. The originals just show what the Disney movies are lacking. Heart. They just seem like soulless cash grabs.
No...return of the Jedi is the worst movie ever...

I mean...it was never that way at the time...we all took it as the end chapter and enjoyed the resolution...but what did we know?

It became the worst when there was backlash about the awfulness of Lucas during the prequels...

And I have a feeling it will become “more awful” in the post Disney era that Bob decreed to start next week...

It’s just so bad...the other stuff your eyes tell you is bad isn’t really THAT bad.

Yep...uh huh...makes sense

The Grand Inquisitor

No...return of the Jedi is the worst movie ever...

I mean...it was never that way at the time...we all took it as the end chapter and enjoyed the resolution...but what did we know?

It became the worst when there was backlash about the awfulness of Lucas during the prequels...

And I have a feeling it will become “more awful” in the post Disney era that Bob decreed to start next week...

It’s just so bad...the other stuff your eyes tell you is bad isn’t really THAT bad.

Yep...uh huh...makes sense
I take it you are being sarcastic? 😅

Jedijax719

Now you went COMPLETELY off the grid.

Who said anything about “Disney hate”? Is criticism of Disney’s stewardship of Star Wars classified as such?

Because it is about just this one property. Nobody is crapping on Epcot. And criticism is just that...An analysis indicating shortcomings and the potential of corrections or further developments.

And I’m going to say this just once more...slowly.

Do the research. This movie is not tracking incredibly well. Not for Star Wars...and not for what should be a movie that should shatter box office records.

I didn’t choose it to be this way, Skip. Yet it still is this way.

You want to subscribe to “five angry guys” theory? Fine...that is your right.
Discount the drop in merch sales...discount the actors criticizing the movies they’re in...discount the flop of solo...discount the Disney CEO icing all Star Wars movies...the “announcement” and cancellation of 2 new “trilogies” in the span of 2 years.

Go ahead...let’s see how it plays.

And what’s does “excited for once about this movie” even mean?

Are you suggesting Disney didn’t have their shot? Nobody showed for years ago and gave $2 bil for a reboot?
That didn’t happen?

Must be hard on the planet you’re living on...really tough.

I’ll leave you with this...I had to stop for a potty break today and I happened to see the Star Wars toy section at a large retailer...on December 13th.

See if you can find it:
Must be hard living on the planet I live in where people might actually enjoy things? Actually, it's pretty easy and pretty pleasant. Did TLJ "suffer" due to backlash over TFA? Nope. Sure, it wasn't a great movie. I'll accept it, but it suffered because the movie itself wasn't that great, not because the movies before it had issues. Likewise, if TROS is good (which it looks to be) and people like it, then the movie will have its own life and not be defined by what came before it.

It's when people try to compare everything to TFA or to End Game that causes people to consider things as "failures" just as many people called TLK'19 a "failure". Yeah, I have seen a lot of people saying that believe it or not.

If the movie makes around the same as TLK'19, it won't be necessarily a bomb, but I find that scenario to be EXTREMELY unlikely. Less than $600 million domestic? Maybe, but that still won't be a bomb.

As far as ticket sales go, it is going VERY well and has been picking up even more steam. If it opens less than $190 million and makes less than $550 million domestic and less than $1.1 billion WW, then we can talk. Until then, despite there being a lot of disgruntled people butthurt over TLJ, SW is not quite close to the doom and gloom you are describing.

Mike S

Oh jeez I think I’ve figured it out. I’ll put it in spoilers just in case it’s actually true.
Palpatine was never on the Death Star. He was projecting himself the whole time “just in case” but did it in a better way so that his projection was physical. Of course, Luke died attempting this same feat.
I hope this isn’t it because it would be such a stupid cop out.

The Grand Inquisitor

Oh jeez I think I’ve figured it out. I’ll put it in spoilers just in case it’s actually true.
Palpatine was never on the Death Star. He was projecting himself the whole time “just in case” but did it in a better way so that his projection was physical. Of course, Luke died attempting this same feat.
If that is true that is beyond stupid. I really hope that is not true.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nah...not that

i think they go more “all powerful wizard” angle and say he can manipulate the force for immortality...which of course they’ll then contradict in some lightsaber scene.

Based on the leaks and how they correspond to tbr trailers and tv spots...there is just way too much going on to pull a well paced, coherent story off ...just can’t see it.

The pacing has to be a breakneck pace...no subtlety whatsoever.

The nuance of empire and parts of Jedi with pacing is the one of the things that made them stick.
George threw that out the window trying to do too much and make it whizz-bang

Disney threw it out the window by setting up NOTHING for almost 5 hours...except to “kill” (we know what’s coming) 2 of the prime characters...and leaving the one that is DEAD and was decrepit already alive

Magenta Panther

Yes. It actually looked like a successor to the other movies. However unlikely it’d be nice if Disney did a similar wiping of the slate. Start again from 7.

As for the Ghostbusters trailer, it does look like the upcoming film's story is a natural, believable update of the original. The passage of time is acknowledged, plus the tragic death of Harold Ramis. :( (Man, it hurts that he won't be in it). And the kids were appealing. Plus we hear Bill Murray's words from the original film ("Call it fate..."). The trailer is very well done IMO. So I'm hopeful...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom