Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

erasure fan1

Plus how are the whiny bloggers and amateur critics on Youtube going to have something to talk about if they don't see it. ;)
Exactly, even the last jedi haters are going to see 9. They will want to see it if not just to complain about it.
He already announced it. Not permanently, but hiatus.
This really isn't because of Solos reception or backlash. It's for one reason and one reason only in my opinion. Disney plus. Iger figures with no movie until 2021 at the earliest most likely, fans will have to go to disney plus for the shows like Cassian and clone wars in 2020. This gives Dan and Dave the time they need with getting things ready since they were tied up with Got. I just don't see it being 4 or 5 years until the next film, I'd say 2 tops.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think some fan service is a bad thing.

I mean, look what we’re on, a WDW message board. Nostalgia is what drives at least half this sites passion.

It’s one thing to challenge the viewer, it’s another to basically say to your massive fan base: “screw you, this isn’t your Star Wars anymore”

And Kennedy and Abrams and iger let it happen. I’m not gonna say handling Star Wars was “easy”...obviously near all of Hollywood can’t seem to figure it out in 25 years.

But man did they fail to understand why Star Wars was popular...how it originally hit the right notes. It’s not just a sterile set and stormtrooper jokes...it’s the actors - in retrospect - played the characters perfectly and it lasted. As much as Hamill got flamed for years for being a “bad actor”...he actually nailed the ethos of the Jedi concept...as fishers defiant, ornery heroine was trendsetting. It wasn’t Ford.

At least George got it...he just felt he could experiment cause he owned it.

Nobody in Burbank got it. They didn’t have a Feige and it’s cost them dearly and long term.
Some fan service is fine, and I believe TFA earned it due to the fact that the prequels were unwatchable dreck that only a Lucas devotee could enjoy.

If they double down with fan service on IX, then they will botch the film.
You’re kinda disagreeing while agreeing, aren’t you?
What doesn’t look fan service about the trailer? Mark hamill...emperor...billy Dee in a 40 year old costume....dead leia...death star wreck

Can someone explain to me how this isn’t 1995 EU fan fiction? Use small words...I’m kinda stupid
No I completely get it. That was just a bit of cheekiness on my part. The themes of letting go of the past and doing something new. The thing is though there are better ways to do that and make (almost) everyone happy and not cause such a rift in the fan base. The funny thing is most people would’ve been fine with a lot of new if there was also plenty of old. If TFA was as I described before, a last adventure for the old trio, many fans would’ve been satisfied and would’ve accepted great new ideas after that with open arms.

I also know how you feel. You watched a movie, liked where the plot was going, and wanted to see the next movie act as a decent follow up to what you liked. Welcome to the exact same feeling I and others had going from The Force Awakens to The Last Jedi. Now we both didn’t get what we wanted.

I agree. Episode VII is where the biggest fan service should’ve been. IX is the point where we should’ve been embracing all the new characters and the new story but sadly it was botched and now in their desperation they’re turning back to fan service.

You’re just restating the mess they have. They introduced the new movies that were going “transition/clean slate” and then they completely reversed. This movie looks to be whoever the last Johnson didn’t kill from ROJ...and Vader and emperor references. How is that “bold new stories and fresh, timeless characters”??
Exactly, even the last jedi haters are going to see 9. They will want to see it if not just to complain about it.

This really isn't because of Solos reception or backlash. It's for one reason and one reason only in my opinion. Disney plus. Iger figures with no movie until 2021 at the earliest most likely, fans will have to go to disney plus for the shows like Cassian and clone wars in 2020. This gives Dan and Dave the time they need with getting things ready since they were tied up with Got. I just don't see it being 4 or 5 years until the next film, I'd say 2 tops.

I won’t see it...unless I can be 90% sure I won’t be angered by it. That type of attitude from core, high spending Disney fans could affect the opening bloated gate that determines overall box office. And if that spreads a little...the casual movie goer will defect away from it quickly.

The problem with your theory is that streaming and Movies are not in competition with each other. Quite the opposite. The powerhouses are lining them up to compliment each other. Marvel is getting four streaming shows and another 10 movies over 5 years.

Hell...Star Trek is back up and making a push...if that can - how on earth is Star Wars in partial retreat?

Botched...that’s why.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At the end of the day....from 99-2019 we’re gonna get 3-4 “decent/watchable” movies maybe 1-2 “above average” and 3 absolutely horrible out of Star Wars...

It really makes it hard for me to laugh at the return of the Jedi Ewok jokes now.

The story and acting look like citizen Kane now

LSLS

I didnt like jedi, though it had nothing to do with how I thought character should act or anything like that. Also wouldnt call myself a hater. I didnt hate it like some did. And I will definitely see 9 (wont pretend I wont). But I doubt I go opening night or anything like that either.

I mean, you could be right its not because of solo. But didnt they shelf a bunch of movies after that flop? I mean, they took 18 months off between movies without calling it a hiatus. If I read between the lines of that statement and the statements from jj (about the difficulties of meshing movies, fixed timeline, etc.), I get the feeling there is some worry about the reception this one will get. I think the backlash on solo from jedi is an unknown at this point (as I said, jedi wasnt why I never saw it), so I'm guessing there is some shaken confidence. It could completely have nothing to do with what I said, but that's just the feeling I get as an outsider.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ya, know, starting on Nov 12, all the SW films with the exception of Solo and TLJ* will be available on Disney+.

Quite the synergy in preparation for tRoS.

*TLJ leaves Netflix on 1/26/20 and Solo leaves 7/9/20

So you’re thinking anyone buying Disney + has NOT scene the Star Wars movies 5+ times each???

Maybe...I can’t wait till I can pay Disney to “check out” that “empire strikes back” I’ve heard some good things about 🤪

jt04

He already announced it. Not permanently, but hiatus. And if your statement was correct they would not have lost money on Solo. The fact they cant print money on anything they put the name "Star Wars" on is the incredible thing.

Solo was not a fun movie. It definitely had some great elements. Gritty Star Wars works. But being fun is a requirement too.

And the rumor is a new trilogy for theaters starts production in a few months. I'm expecting some announcement this weekend. Time will tell.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Solo was not a fun movie. It definitely had some great elements. Gritty Star Wars works. But being fun is a requirement too.

And the rumor is a new trilogy for theaters starts production in a few months. I'm expecting some announcement this weekend. Time will tell.

Solo was “good” by today’s Star Wars standard...which isn’t saying much.

I get the turmoil and all the reasons stated it bombed - some legit and some excuses for bad decisions - but the thing that stuck to me is how badly it bombed in box office.

Even the “worst” Star Wars shouldn’t come in at under a $400 domestic/ $350 international take.

But 213/179???

That to me is much more indicative than “people were tired” or they fired the director.

Star Wars fans are supremely loyal - or they used to be - and even if they SAID they weren’t gonna go...they would have cracked and gone anyway at some point once. The movie was watchable.

That is a much bigger issue than Disney is acknowledging publicly

Anders Limpar

They just said they are pumping the breaks on theatrical releases. Isn't that a tad contradictory?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They just said they are pumping the breaks on theatrical releases. Isn't that a tad contradictory?

They have to figure out how to shelf Johnson. He’s complete brand toxin. Let’s cut the crap on this.

They want dan and Dave and will Give them whatever they want to try and turn the ship around a little...but can’t continue with Johnson. It’s tone deaf that will cost the shareholders money.

If it’s kennedy that’s the block...she goes to. It’s a problem I bet iger hopes works itself out while he does other things...like lasseter

Last edited:

jt04

You dont announce a hiatus and then announce a new trilogy 3 days later.

If they begin production this summer on a new movie it wouldn't be ready until likely Dec 2021.

By far the biggest gap since VII was released.

Although that doesn't mean they will announce anything.

Mike S

He already announced it. Not permanently, but hiatus. And if your statement was correct they would not have lost money on Solo. The fact they cant print money on anything they put the name "Star Wars" on is the incredible thing.
Star Wars isn’t completely dead but the mere fact that any aspect of it is losing money is astounding. A movie about Han Solo bombs and product sales aren’t profitable? What crazy alternate universe have I entered where this is possible!!! Star Wars is supposed to be the king of merchandise and Han Solo one of its most popular characters!!!!!!!!
Come on man. If it’s actually good most people will say it’s good. I know I will. My current feeling is that I just find it hilarious how far back on TLJ they seem to be going.
Good that they’re giving them time to set this up. Especially if it’s the Old Republic like the rumors say.

LSLS

You are forgetting Rogue One and Solo.

Did solo not come our in like May 2018? So 4 months back to end of December 2017. Next star wars is December 2019. That means 1 year 7 months since solo is released you see the next star wars movie. So our current gap is 4 months less than what you are proposing.

jt04

Did solo not come our in like May 2018? So 4 months back to end of December 2017. Next star wars is December 2019. That means 1 year 7 months since solo is released you see the next star wars movie. So our current gap is 4 months less than what you are proposing.

Could be summer 2022 but they definitely have slowed down the pace. Yet to be seen how much. Basically they are doing a soft reboot of theatrical releases.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Star Wars isn’t completely dead but the mere fact that any aspect of it is losing money is astounding. A movie about Han Solo bombs and product sales aren’t profitable? What crazy alternate universe have I entered where this is possible!!! Star Wars is supposed to be the king of merchandise and Han Solo one of its most popular characters!!!!!!!!

This is a Disney board. We all have levels of affinity for Disney that limit our objectivity when it comes to evaluating things that transcend parks and animated movies...

The financial picture of Star Wars is a major problem for Disney. There’s just too much assumption that “everything is fine” around HERE. They have a big economic problem with Star Wars. Not that they’re losing money...it’s that the flow is starting to trickle.

It’s the espn of their IP portfolio now

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom