Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Wendy Pleakley

JJ confirmed it at celebration he's back he said he was surprised Ian's presence on the set didn't leak.

It's always struck me as strange how they put such effort into keeping these secrets, and then reveal it in the trailer anyway.

Reminds me of Phantom Menace when they kept a good lid on things, then released everything before the movie came out, including the novelization and soundtrack complete with track listings that spoiled the death of a major character.

Considering the online reaction to Palpatine's return has been positive from what I've seen, they could have announced this sooner to help build some hype.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ya, know, starting on Nov 12, all the SW films with the exception of Solo and TLJ* will be available on Disney+.

Quite the synergy in preparation for tRoS.

*TLJ leaves Netflix on 1/26/20 and Solo leaves 7/9/20

Paper straw fan

I don’t think it had anything to do with Lucasfilm attempting to cater Star Wars to a 21st Century market.

I think it is legitimately as simple as Rian Johnson wanting to make a film in this franchise that subverted expectations. Many hated it (though the people who whine about it because of virtue signaling, they’re wrong and stupid), but I loved it.

Abrams is great at giving fans what they think they want. It worked for TFA because the prequels were awful and we needed reassurance that the new series would be different.

He absolutely cannot do that again.

What is Star Wars but “what fans want”?

If they were just going to go do something completely different and without any of the original characters/ actors, then do that and say you’re doing it from the get go, and don’t position it as a sequel to the OT.

JJ is far from some visionary, but his idea seemed to be ‘honor the past, but keep the story going’ - but then RJ, the brilliant mind behind...a couple mediocre movies and one good ep of Breaking Bad? Just decided, somewhat selfishly, to just throw the whole thing up in the air, seemingly just for the sake of doing so, and gave us the absolute worst possible ending for the biggest character in the IP’s history. To top it off, the ‘comedy’ in the movie is about as funny as Schindler’s list, the action pointless, and the actors all seemed to coast in this film in a “The check cleared so whatever” sort of way.

TFA was indeed a victory lap for characters like Solo, but at least it gave us characters to care about (Rey, Finn) going forward. Even Ren is whiny and moody, but in a way you’d expect some young angsty adult to possibly be. Yeah the whole ‘blow up the big ball’ part had been done, but we assumed this was setting us up for a lot of things to come.

But to my original point, shouldn’t you make movies in an IP for the fans of that IP? That doesn’t mean it has to be fan fic, but it also doesn’t have to purposely stamp out every prior storyline, seemingly for some self indulgent reasoning of ‘making the Star Wars I, Rian Johnson, GENIUS, feel the world needs!’

And Porgs make me miss Ewoks and Gungans.

Tick Tock

Considering the online reaction to Palpatine's return has been positive from what I've seen, they could have announced this sooner to help build some hype.
This caught me by surprise today when his laugh was revealed. I'd kept up with a good bit of Ep. 9 news without diving too deep into spoiler territory, but did not see this coming in the teaser.

I had hoped Palpatine made a cameo in Rogue One, but this works too.

Tick Tock

Most of the kids don’t really care.

erasure fan1

Perhaps "Skywalker" does not refer to a single person. Perhaps it refers to a new Order of Force Users. More "balanced" Force Users - like Gray Jedi.

The Rise of Skywalker
Yea that's what I took from it. Skywalker refering to something you achieve in a sense. You become Skywalker.

I really enjoyed the trailer. It was a typical teaser and that is fine. It showed some cool stuff and really wet the pallet for whats to come. I'm really looking forward to the full trailer now.

Paper straw fan

Hopefully something with more ambition than fan service nonsense.

I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think some fan service is a bad thing.

I mean, look what we’re on, a WDW message board. Nostalgia is what drives at least half this sites passion.

It’s one thing to challenge the viewer, it’s another to basically say to your massive fan base: “screw you, this isn’t your Star Wars anymore”

Tony Perkis

I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think some fan service is a bad thing.

I mean, look what we’re on, a WDW message board. Nostalgia is what drives at least half this sites passion.

It’s one thing to challenge the viewer, it’s another to basically say to your massive fan base: “screw you, this isn’t your Star Wars anymore”
Some fan service is fine, and I believe TFA earned it due to the fact that the prequels were unwatchable dreck that only a Lucas devotee could enjoy.

If they double down with fan service on IX, then they will botch the film.

Mike S

That explains enough. You don’t need to respond further, I know from what vantage point you’re coming from.
No I completely get it. That was just a bit of cheekiness on my part. The themes of letting go of the past and doing something new. The thing is though there are better ways to do that and make (almost) everyone happy and not cause such a rift in the fan base. The funny thing is most people would’ve been fine with a lot of new if there was also plenty of old. If TFA was as I described before, a last adventure for the old trio, many fans would’ve been satisfied and would’ve accepted great new ideas after that with open arms.

I also know how you feel. You watched a movie, liked where the plot was going, and wanted to see the next movie act as a decent follow up to what you liked. Welcome to the exact same feeling I and others had going from The Force Awakens to The Last Jedi. Now we both didn’t get what we wanted.
Some fan service is fine, and I believe TFA earned it due to the fact that the prequels were unwatchable dreck that only a Lucas devotee could enjoy.

If they double down with fan service on IX, then they will botch the film.
I agree. Episode VII is where the biggest fan service should’ve been. IX is the point where we should’ve been embracing all the new characters and the new story but sadly it was botched and now in their desperation they’re turning back to fan service.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think you’re heavy by 100%....

I’m thinking even the greatest fan service they can cram into 2 hours won’t have enough juice to bring that kinda crowd now. It’s not the front page pop franchise anymore.

Once...the entire world movie industry cleared its schedule for Star Wars...
Now it hides in winter...and 2 in a fleeing 6 month period is “too boring” to get people to buy tickets.

We’ll have to see. Here, on a Disney board, there’s tends to be a little overzeal on JJ abrams...

Most of the kids don’t really care.

Maybe I am being overzealous with my number predictions, but so what that's what we do here. Its no different than you saying "kids don't really care" or "won't have juice to bring that kinda crowd now", also overzealous statements just in the other direction as you don't really know. But with it really being the closure to the whole Skywalker saga my gut is telling me it'll be too hard to resist for any true SW fan not to see it at least once in theaters. And if its even a half way decent movie, once word of mouth hits, it'll get lots of repeat viewings.

Plus how are the whiny bloggers and amateur critics on Youtube going to have something to talk about if they don't see it. ;)

Also one thing I'm pretty sure will happen is it'll be longer than 2 hrs. With EP7 clocking in at 2:15, and EP8 clocking in at 2:30, I predict Ep9 will be clocking in close to 3hrs if not just over 3hrs like End Game.

LSLS

Maybe I am being overzealous with my number predictions, but so what that's what we do here. Its no different than you saying "kids don't really care" or "won't have juice to bring that kinda crowd now", also overzealous statements just in the other direction as you don't really know. But with it really being the closure to the whole Skywalker saga my gut is telling me it'll be too hard to resist for any true SW fan not to see it at least once in theaters. And if its even a half way decent movie, once word of mouth hits, it'll get lots of repeat viewings.

Plus how are the whiny bloggers and amateur critics on Youtube going to have something to talk about if they don't see it. ;)

Also one thing I'm pretty sure will happen is it'll be longer than 2 hrs. With EP7 clocking in at 2:15, and EP8 clocking in at 2:30, I predict Ep9 will be clocking in close to 3hrs if not just over 3hrs like End Game.

Come on now, you are predicting this to be the highest grossing movie of all time (well currently. End game may have a new record by the time this comes out)? I highly doubt it breaks force awakens. The bigger question for me is if it does better than last jedi or not. If it does not, they failed (relatively obviously) with this trilogy.

If I'm guessing, I'd say right around $1.5 billion. I think the hatred from last jedi is overblown, but with how bad solo did, I'm far from positive on that. The fact iger has already talked about closing up shop on the star wars movies makes me think they believe there is a lot more backlash than I thought.

jt04

Come on now, you are predicting this to be the highest grossing movie of all time (well currently. End game may have a new record by the time this comes out)? I highly doubt it breaks force awakens. The bigger question for me is if it does better than last jedi or not. If it does not, they failed (relatively obviously) with this trilogy.

If I'm guessing, I'd say right around $1.5 billion. I think the hatred from last jedi is overblown, but with how bad solo did, I'm far from positive on that. The fact iger has already talked about closing up shop on the star wars movies makes me think they believe there is a lot more backlash than I thought.

No way Iger will be allowed to close up shop on Star Wars movies. There's always a bigger fish as the saying goes.

All they have to do is create fun stories that push technical boundaries and the franchise will print money. The board and stockholders understand this. IMO.

jt04

3 hours is the rumor.

That he thinks it will be 2 hours of fan service designed only to churn people in and out of the Cineplexorama shows how out of the loop he has become.

LSLS

No way Iger will be allowed to close up shop on Star Wars movies. There's always a bigger fish as the saying goes.

All they have to do is create fun stories that push technical boundaries and the franchise will print money. The board and stockholders understand this. IMO.

He already announced it. Not permanently, but hiatus. And if your statement was correct they would not have lost money on Solo. The fact they cant print money on anything they put the name "Star Wars" on is the incredible thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom