Star Tours II in 3D for 2011 CONFIRMED

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wait times will definitely be long during Star Wars weekends. While I've never been to Star Wars weekends, my understanding is that the crowds at Star Tours is reasonable all things considered. Having said that this year should be different. It's a new experience and the masses that are going to Star Wars weekend have never seen it.

I don't expect Potterland type crowds for Star Tours or Star Wars weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it have the longest line in the parks - at least for the Star Wars weekend crowd.
We have done 2-4 SWW every year since around 2001 and the crowds grow ever single year. In 2007 getting in line at 3 AM for an autograph fast pass was extreme. In 2010 it was necessary. I am fully expecting the crazy to be turned up to 11 on that first weekend when Star Wars fan crazy meets Disney fan crazy. Like you said they will not be Potter Crowds but they will be more than DHS has seen in quite some time.

RSoxNo1

We have done 2-4 SWW every year since around 2001 and the crowds grow ever single year. In 2007 getting in line at 3 AM for an autograph fast pass was extreme. In 2010 it was necessary. I am fully expecting the crazy to be turned up to 11 on that first weekend when Star Wars fan crazy meets Disney fan crazy. Like you said they will not be Potter Crowds but they will be more than DHS has seen in quite some time.

I bought 5 SWW autograph Fastpasses on eBay recently (including Ashley Eckstein which is cool as a Baseball fan). I never see them available because of the insanity that surrounds them.

my understanding though is that the crowds are largely for the celebrity based events and less extreme for the actual Star Tours ride. I expect that to change since it will no longer be a 15-20 year old attraction.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I bought 5 SWW autograph Fastpasses on eBay recently (including Ashley Eckstein which is cool as a Baseball fan). I never see them available because of the insanity that surrounds them.

my understanding though is that the crowds are largely for the celebrity based events and less extreme for the actual Star Tours ride. I expect that to change since it will no longer be a 15-20 year old attraction.
The real true, scratch your head, insanity does center around the autographs followed by merchandise. However, there are heavy crowds associated with everything Star Wars related. It is not uncommon to see 30-60 minute lines for character autographs and nearly every show will be at capacity. On the silver lining side RnRC and ToT typically have very short lines during SWW.

joanna71985

The worst part about the character autographs is that you don't always get to meet who you got in line for. For example- Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald rotate around every 20 minutes. It is very possible if you got in line for Mickey, you could wind up meeting Donald instead (and this happens with many of the character lines, as many feature multiple characters). This means more then one trip to the same line

AEfx

SW Weekends are *crazy* busy for my tastes, compared to how it is when I usually go down.

That said, I'll be there on the 20th - but only for a short time. I'm planning on being there the few days before, and where the 20th is a Friday I'm hoping I can get there 1/2 hour or an hour before opening and just get in to see Star Tours, buy whatever opening day pin, and hit the road. I'm sure I'll catch the ride in a preview during the week, but I'd like to ride it that day (and since I have to schlep all the way there to get a pin might as well).

Langdonj

Previews

Any word on previews yet? I saw a CM with 3d glasses out front, but was told they were for MuppetV. But why were they over there?

RAXIP

Any word on previews yet? I saw a CM with 3d glasses out front, but was told they were for MuppetV. But why were they over there?

No word on previews yet. As for the 3D glasses you saw, if they were purple then they were from Muppets. The Star Tours glasses will be a different style then the other 3D glasses at WDW. As for why the glasses were at Star Tours, the CM probably confiscated them from a Guest who thought they were a free souvenir. I collected 16 pairs of TSM glasses on a signle day once.

NoChesterHester

No word on previews yet. As for the 3D glasses you saw, if they were purple then they were from Muppets. The Star Tours glasses will be a different style then the other 3D glasses at WDW. As for why the glasses were at Star Tours, the CM probably confiscated them from a Guest who thought they were a free souvenir. I collected 16 pairs of TSM glasses on a signle day once.

Have you seen the newly designed glasses? I assume you say they are different because the motion of the simulator would make keeping the glasses on an issue.

WDWFigment

Today is Vader's last day out at the Studios. Anyone know if that's a harbinger of soft openings? It seems WAY too early for those, but who knows. I was expecting a short soft opening period for this one.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Today is Vader's last day out at the Studios. Anyone know if that's a harbinger of soft openings? It seems WAY too early for those, but who knows. I was expecting a short soft opening period for this one.

I don't believe there is any connection. I understand the schedule is tight as it is to make the May 20 date. I'm always open to a surprise though :)

Cosmic Commando

Didn't they keep it open even into the Sept. slow season? I always assumed that meant that they would comfortably get it open by Star Wars Weekends in that amount of time. I mean, they knew that SWW was coming at the end of May when they decided on the closing date, right?

joanna71985

Nice! Were you at Pixar?

Have you seen the newly designed glasses? I assume you say they are different because the motion of the simulator would make keeping the glasses on an issue.

The Star Tours glasses are going to be extremely different from the other 3D glasses (both in shape, and also that they are very expensive glasses).

RAXIP

Nice! Were you at Pixar?

The Star Tours glasses are going to be extremely different from the other 3D glasses (both in shape, and also that they are very expensive glasses).

Yep, I was just across the street.

The ST glasses also used a different type of lens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom