Star Tours II in 3D for 2011 CONFIRMED

_Scar

I would call myself a pretty big Star Wars fan and I'm also LOVING C3PO as captain. Perfection WDI. He shoulda been there from the beginning, no offense REX.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I agree. I'm a massive SW fan as well, and think that having 3PO at the helm sounds like a great way to have a action packed ride. I love me some ______ Wee Herman and all, but something about Rex just didn't get me all excited. Having 3PO take the controls, either by accident or from the start, just sounds like a good explaination as to why our little star tour is a bit more eventful than one with a more experienced pilot. From the official blog post, it sounds like some sort of story feature will be done to explain why the new (or is it old) pilot Ace is not in control.

And as was pointed out above, 3PO is piloting (or co-piloting) Padme's ship when she makes the trip to Mustafar to confront Anakin right after his turn.

C-3PO: "I think I'm finally getting the hang of this flying business." - -- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge Of The Sith

The Empress Lilly

I don't want a ride of "oh no" and "what does this button do." I sure hope I'm wrong.

My warning meter for cheeseball Lucus junk just went up ten fold.
Quite!

Please no JarJar Binks-like antics. It is just not good comedy.

Once, in Star Wars people/droids got on a spaceship because they longed to be free, craved adventure, were on a mission to restore freedom in the galaxy. Their bravery, dash, sheer guts save the day (and the galaxy!).
Lyricism and heroism. :sohappy:

Nowadays, they get on a ship by sheer accident, because they are hiding from something, because they stumbled into one. Then they accidentallypush some buttons until all is somehow resolved through acccident and dumb luck. Cheeseball slapstick. :hurl:

IWant2GoNow

Don't forget that at the end of Ep. III C3PO gets his mind wiped anyway. Therefore he shouldn't have much of an opinion on flying between Ep. III and Ep. IV.

I don't think this is going to ruin Star Wars and I can't wait to check it out when it is finished.

Does anyone know how the work is coming so far on it or if they are completely changing the whole queue?

Tanny15

Adding to ur information i have some more facts about it
C-3PO was played by Anthony Daniels in Wars films. In first a skeletal C-3PO model was puppeteered, with Anthony Daniels providing the voice-over, and the puppeteer was then digitally removed in post-productionto its next Daniels requested to take over the puppeteering duties, but the scenes were later deleted and replaced with Daniels voicing C-3PO instead and now for 3rd and Daniels wore the costume during principal photography and provided the voice-over.:xmas:

TP2000

Does anyone know how the work is coming so far on it or if they are completely changing the whole queue?

This info was in the Al Lutz update earlier this week. It's mainly about Disneyland, but it mentions the DHS version a few times and talks about the queue and the differences in the rehab calendars between Disneyland and WDW.

"Back across the esplanade on the other side of Disneyland, the lavish remake of Star Tours continues on schedule for its May debut. The extra six weeks of rehab the Disneyland version is receiving over its Disney World counterpart is due to a more extensive rework of the queue and pre-show area for the Disneyland version, and a typical desire by Orlando management to eke out a few extra weeks of summer operation of the high capacity E Ticket due to the razor-thin parkwide ride capacity that the Studios theme park has out there. In addition to the extra queue work, the four Disneyland simulators are harder to remove in their retrofitted 1967 building than the six simulators slotted in to the custom built facility out in Florida." -Al Lutz, Miceage.com

Take that as you like. :)

AEfx

Adding to ur information i have some more facts about it
C-3PO was played by Anthony Daniels in Wars films. In first a skeletal C-3PO model was puppeteered, with Anthony Daniels providing the voice-over, and the puppeteer was then digitally removed in post-productionto its next Daniels requested to take over the puppeteering duties, but the scenes were later deleted and replaced with Daniels voicing C-3PO instead and now for 3rd and Daniels wore the costume during principal photography and provided the voice-over.:xmas:

Uh, this is completely incorrect.

I was going to ask where you got this information, but just for the heck of it I checked Wikipedia's C-3PO article and I see the "source". As much as I love Wikipedia, it's a shame this kind of stuff just hangs out there. I'd edit it myself but can't from where I am right now.

Anthony Daniels has been inside the 3PO suit for all six films (though there were some - poorly done - CGI shots of him in the Prequels, and of course the robotic 3PO in ESB that was attached to Chewbacca's backpack).

Here is a shot from the filming of Star Wars, and you can clearly see Anthony Daniels has always been inside the suit :

01.JPG

IWant2GoNow

This info was in the Al Lutz update earlier this week. It's mainly about Disneyland, but it mentions the DHS version a few times and talks about the queue and the differences in the rehab calendars between Disneyland and WDW.

"Back across the esplanade on the other side of Disneyland, the lavish remake of Star Tours continues on schedule for its May debut. The extra six weeks of rehab the Disneyland version is receiving over its Disney World counterpart is due to a more extensive rework of the queue and pre-show area for the Disneyland version, and a typical desire by Orlando management to eke out a few extra weeks of summer operation of the high capacity E Ticket due to the razor-thin parkwide ride capacity that the Studios theme park has out there. In addition to the extra queue work, the four Disneyland simulators are harder to remove in their retrofitted 1967 building than the six simulators slotted in to the custom built facility out in Florida." -Al Lutz, Miceage.com

Take that as you like. :)

Thanks, TP2000. I really hope that doesn't mean the old queue is just getting cleaned up and a new spiel. As much as I would miss the Mon Calamarian control tower I would love to see what they would do making an entirely new queue at WDW. Guess we'll just have to wait until May to find out.

This is one thing that Disney should NOT cut corners on. Maybe Lucas won't let them. :shrug::lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Uh, this is completely incorrect.

I was going to ask where you got this information, but just for the heck of it I checked Wikipedia's C-3PO article and I see the "source". As much as I love Wikipedia, it's a shame this kind of stuff just hangs out there. I'd edit it myself but can't from where I am right now.

Anthony Daniels has been inside the 3PO suit for all six films (though there were some - poorly done - CGI shots of him in the Prequels, and of course the robotic 3PO in ESB that was attached to Chewbacca's backpack).

Here is a shot from the filming of Star Wars, and you can clearly see Anthony Daniels has always been inside the suit :

01.JPG
When C3-PO was introduced "naked" in Episode One he was a puppet, but like you stated, C3-P0 with coverings has always been Anthony Daniels.

lynch1_img.jpg

fillerup

From Dewayne Bevil in today's O'Sentinel:

Old and new in mix for Disney's Star Tours sequel

The Star Wars universe is expanding through a portal at Disney World. New droids and a new story will be introduced via the revamped Star Tours attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios next year.

"The time period that we've chosen for the story this time around is causing us to go through and make some adjustments throughout the attraction," says Tom Fitzgerald, executive vice president and senior creative executive at Walt Disney Imagineering.

Disney is keeping many of the details secret, but executives have revealed that Rex, the pilot of the old version, will no longer guide guests. Through plot twists and turns, the pilot of the new Star Tours will be C-3PO, a pop-culture staple since 1977.

Full Article

redshoesrock

Disney is keeping many of the details secret, but executives have revealed that Rex, the pilot of the old version, will no longer guide guests. Through plot twists and turns, the pilot of the new Star Tours will be C-3PO, a pop-culture staple since 1977.

Am I the only one late to the party on this? When did Disney previously reveal Threepio was your pilot? I swear I would of remembered hearing about that...it's kind of a big thing.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Am I the only one late to the party on this? When did Disney previously reveal Threepio was your pilot? I swear I would of remembered hearing about that...it's kind of a big thing.

Look back about 2 pages on this thread, Oct 26th
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/10/whos-flying-this-thing/

It was rumored before that I seem to remember, but the official Disney Parks Blog gave us the official word a few weeks ago.

Since the time frame is between Ep 3 and 4, and Rex was a "new" pilot in the old time frame (Post Ep 6), it was always known/assumed that it would not be Rex. The blog is the one who broke the news that it was 3PO

hpyhnt 1000

From Dewayne Bevil in today's O'Sentinel:

Old and new in mix for Disney's Star Tours sequel

The Star Wars universe is expanding through a portal at Disney World. New droids and a new story will be introduced via the revamped Star Tours attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios next year.

"The time period that we've chosen for the story this time around is causing us to go through and make some adjustments throughout the attraction," says Tom Fitzgerald, executive vice president and senior creative executive at Walt Disney Imagineering.

Full Article

Hmmm...through "plot twists and turns." Sounds like something is going to go wrong (as something invariable does in a Disney attraction :lol:) during our journey and Threepio will take over the controls mid flight. At least thats what the wording indicates to me.

AEfx

When C3-PO was introduced "naked" in Episode One he was a puppet, but like you stated, C3-P0 with coverings has always been Anthony Daniels.

lynch1_img.jpg

Absolutely correct, Jedi Master. ;)

Looks like someone updated the Wikipedia article, which originally just said "in the first movie", and now it specifies Episode I (the fourth film), but it still doesn't make sense in the part about Episode II. I guess the prequels are all mushed in my head because I am rather sure that C-3PO was complete in that film and again would have been Anthony Daniels in the suit.

PKD

Thanks, TP2000. I really hope that doesn't mean the old queue is just getting cleaned up and a new spiel. As much as I would miss the Mon Calamarian control tower I would love to see what they would do making an entirely new queue at WDW. Guess we'll just have to wait until May to find out.

This is one thing that Disney should NOT cut corners on. Maybe Lucas won't let them. :shrug::lol:

The factory style queue here has been gutted and will be new/fresh for when it reopens early next year. The queue path/ramps are the same, just your scenes have changed.

The testing of the WDW version starts at the end of this month.

ddbowdoin

sorry, I read through a lot of the posts but is there a confirmed date for the opening of the ride in 2011? I'm heading back to the world (hopefully!) in March 2011 and would love to experience it.

AEfx

sorry, I read through a lot of the posts but is there a confirmed date for the opening of the ride in 2011? I'm heading back to the world (hopefully!) in March 2011 and would love to experience it.

It's presumed the opening will be the end of May to coincide with the west coast opening and the Star Wars anniversaries - you can bet it will be running by Star Wars Weekends. The most you could hope for would be a test run, but to be honest as early as March I see that as highly doubtful.

Sorry I don't have better news!

IWant2GoNow

The factory style queue here has been gutted and will be new/fresh for when it reopens early next year. The queue path/ramps are the same, just your scenes have changed.

The testing of the WDW version starts at the end of this month.

Good to hear! :sohappy:

Thanks for the update, PKD.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It's presumed the opening will be the end of May to coincide with the west coast opening and the Star Wars anniversaries - you can bet it will be running by Star Wars Weekends. The most you could hope for would be a test run, but to be honest as early as March I see that as highly doubtful.

Sorry I don't have better news!

From a personal point of view that is rather fortuitous timing if correct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom