Star Tours II in 3D for 2011 CONFIRMED

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I really hope all this work is feverishly happening inside the show building. I for one would love some updates to the queue.

We sure don't have the daily updates on this one like we do the Fantasyland Expansion.

That's because there is no Dumbo attraction at DHS offering aerial views into the attraction!

Club33

Hi I am brand new to posting on the WDWMagic blog! I was just wondering if anyone knew what the queue would be like once the ride is re-opened? I am not sure if there have been any rumors on this topic but I am definitely curious!

sponono88

C-3PO will be the new Star Tours pilot!

As explained earlier, all Star Tours Starspeeder 1000s are flown using the latest AC-series Tour Droids. And in fact, our initial plans were for our flight to be piloted by AC-38 better known as “Ace.” However, in discussions with George Lucas during the course of our production, we decided to take the story in a very different direction.

So…while AC-38 is supposed to be our pilot, by the time we actually take off, the droid sitting in the pilot’s seat will be none other than…C-3PO!

It’s one of the biggest changes and surprises in the new show. “Professional grit stopped me from yelling the glorious new storyline from the rooftops,” said Anthony Daniels recently. “It’s fun having secrets like this, waiting to share them at the right time.”

You’ll see just how Threepio becomes our pilot when the adventures continue next year.

This week, our Imagineering team begins installation of the Audio-Animatronics figures into the Starspeeder cabins at Disneyland park, and next month at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Oh, and for all you Rex fans, don’t worry – we have a spot for him in the new show!

Click here to see the full blog post - Who's Flying This Thing?! Disney Parks Blog

NoChesterHester

Click here to see the full blog post - Who's Flying This Thing?! Disney Parks Blog

Hopefully there is a "story" here. The story of Star Wars is of 3PO and R2D2 as the observers. 3PO especially is rarely a key story element.

This doesn't fit his personality. I don't want a ride of "oh no" and "what does this button do." I sure hope I'm wrong.

My warning meter for cheeseball Lucus junk just went up ten fold.

RSoxNo1

This is from another Star Tours thread (New Droid Aly San San):

So Jim Hill mentioned this on his most recent podcast (in the last 3 minutes of the show specifically).

He was at the Marvelous Mechanized Magic Kingdom Event held at the Disneyland hotel on 9/17. The event featured several veteran imagineers, and one of them mentioned that C3PO will be the new pilot in the Star Speeder. There were about 300 people in attendance, and none of the other imagineers corrected him.

Jim speculated that the guy may be misinformed, as this had gone against pretty much everything others have heard about the new pilot.

Either way, it's something to keep an eye on.

I asked about this on the last Star Tours 2.0 post on the Disney blog and it was shot down by some people - however it turns out there is some truth to it. It should be interesting to see how this is incorporated.

Vernonpush

This is from another Star Tours thread (New Droid Aly San San):

I asked about this on the last Star Tours 2.0 post on the Disney blog and it was shot down by some people - however it turns out there is some truth to it. It should be interesting to see how this is incorporated.

Maybe Aly San San is the "when you sit- buckle your seatbelt..../ stow away loose.../ no smoking.../ no flash photography...../ keep your arms and legs..."
preshow boarding droid?

TP2000

3PO is the pilot?!:brick:

As a diehard Star Wars fan, I'm losing faith in this project.

This news was released, as mentioned in this thread, at the Mechanized Magic event at the Disneyland Hotel earlier this year. I think it sounds fun, and a great idea to get C3PO into the action.

Most folks who will ride Star Tours in the average day are not Star Wars diehard fans. I've seen most of the movies at one point or another in the last 33 years, but I really don't know all the characters or trivia. I do know who C3PO is though, and I think he'd be a great celebrity pick to be the new pilot!

GLaDOS

I think it sounds fun, and a great idea to get C3PO into the action.

Most folks who will ride Star Tours in the average day are not Star Wars diehard fans. I've seen most of the movies at one point or another in the last 33 years, but I really don't know all the characters or trivia. I do know who C3PO is though, and I think he'd be a great celebrity pick to be the new pilot!

But why is it necessary for him to be the pilot? He was already present in a role that actually makes sense for him. Why is it necessary for the pilot have to be a celebrity? The attraction has always been popular without a celebrity pilot.

Ad obviously most aren't going to be diehards, but even the casual Star Wars fans I know know 3PO hates flying. He out right says it plenty of times throughout the trilogies.

Maerj

3PO is the pilot?!:brick:

As a diehard Star Wars fan, I'm losing faith in this project.

Diehard fan here as well and I have complete faith in this project. It is going to be a fun update to the original ride. People online worry waaaaaaaaay too much.

GLaDOS

Diehard fan here as well and I have complete faith in this project. It is going to be a fun update to the original ride. People online worry waaaaaaaaay too much.

As a diehard I don't understand how you can have complete faith when they make 3PO a pilot.

Did you like Jar Jar?:lol:

EDIT: ANd let me add that I loved the other announcements regarding STII. But this is just a really stupid idea to me.:lol:

Ausdaddy

As a diehard I don't understand how you can have complete faith when they make 3PO a pilot.

EDIT: ANd let me add that I loved the other announcements regarding STII. But this is just a really stupid idea to me.:lol:

Not sure why you object to Threepio being a pilot. He hates space travel....because of his experience on this tour.

Maerj

As a theme park attraction, something has to go wrong. Obviously the real pilot being replaced by C-3PO would be that something. Besides, would you rather have a P. e. e. Wee Herman voiced droid piloting the ship? Can't see why 3P0 accidentally becoming the pilot is a sillier idea than that.

I didn't hate Jar Jar like the online community seems to. He's not my favorite character by any means but I understand why he was there (for kids) and really don't object. Episode I came out 11 years ago and its time to move on.

If it bothers you that much that C-3P0 is in the driver's seat, Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey is nearby as an alternate attraction.

imagineer boy

I'm not exactly sure what to think of the C-3PO pilot news. I guess its just hard to imagine him piloting a ship since we've never really seen him do it in the movies.

Maerj

I'm not exactly sure what to think of the C-3PO pilot news. I guess its just hard to imagine him piloting a ship since we've never really seen him do it in the movies.

He was supposed to be piloting Luke's landspeeder, although that was more evident in the deleted footage. Still there is a reference to it when Luke tells him to hit the accelerator.

Also, in Revenge of the Sith, C-3P0 co-pilots Padme's ship when she goes to Mustafar. He even mentioned something about getting used to the controls.

Anyway, back to the ride...

Maybe he will only pilot the ship in certain versions? I'm sure with him at the wheel, going anywhere will be an adventure! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom