Staggs says changes to Fantasyland...

Grizzly Hall 71

Potter may be kicking but now, but remember, Disney is generational. Potter is a fad on steroids. It will not retain its crazed attraction powers that it currently has.

I can see at least until the end of next year this place being hugely popular. It won't die out soon.

Tho books and movies have been around for more than a decade and are still dominating.

devoy1701

You are missing the point, Extra Magic Hours honestly don't even need to be brought into the equation. Looking at the parks hours is a clear indicator of how things are going. Magic Kingdom is crowded and doing just fine hence the traditional summer hours continuing even past the Nightastic Promotion. Epcot - well their hours don't fluctuate so not able to gage anything there. But as for DHS and AK they are closing at 7:00pm and 6:00pm for the most part which is extremelly early for this time of year if you want to go back and look a historical data. Its those parks that are feeling the effects of Potter the most. If IOA is indeed pulling in over 30k per day in attendance then it will probably jump both those parks in annual attendance, and no matter what spin you put on it, it will not make Disney happy.

Wizarding World is not going to ever top Magic Kingdom in numbers nor was it meant to. All Uni wanted was to get a little bigger piece of the pie and they took a gamble, spent a ton of money and created a quality product that is now rewarding them. I don't understand why there is so much negativity torwards them for that. Its crazy people should be thrilled that a new quality product has been created that hopefully will make TDO finally take notice and step up to the plate. Its a win win for everyone, but all most people on this site want to do is bash it and discredit it without even experiencing it for themselves.:veryconfu

not trying to bash it, just put it into perspective. It is crazy for someone to say "Disney better start worrying because Potter is a big hit" I even saw a forum on Theme Park insider asking people if they though IoA will jump MK in attendance numbers in 10 years.

Uni gets one Homerun and people act like this is the demise of Disney as champion of theme parks.

jakeman

I guess I'll defer to the old saying "If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas."

I'd likely love what you're describing--and I think it would complete DAK very well. The problem is, that's not the park at hand. I would love to see a Beastly Kingdom (or similar concept) expansion. It wouldn't even need to be that large (although that, obviously, would be preferred!).
If you haven't complete abandoned this thread and read this response...:lol:

I think the same thing happened to MGM that has happened to DAK (albeit for different reasons) the ambitions of the original design and scope have been lost and adapted over time, leaving us with what we have now. Not that it is bad, it just lends itself to some "clunky" parts of the park.

We can only hope that in the future the park evolves into a nice balance. I don't see us returning to the original vision.

raven

Its crazy people should be thrilled that a new quality product has been created that hopefully will make TDO finally take notice and step up to the plate. Its a win win for everyone, but all most people on this site want to do is bash it and discredit it without even experiencing it for themselves.:veryconfu

For the record, I've experienced Potter twice already. I love the quality of theaming that went into the area and the amount of people going there to experience it for themselves. But that isn't a reason to compare it to FLE or any part of Disney that TDO is currently working on. Why? Because they attract a different crowd from each other. Sure there are some crossovers but for the most part Potter has a following. And if you are like me, someone who's never seen the movies, it's a little too much in-your-face.

The only thing TDO should take from Potter is that they made a quality rework of a land and added an attraction that's been wildly advertised. Time can only tell on it's staying power though, an area Disney is always focusing on. And the FLE was first being worked on back in 2006. That tells you that they don't rush ideas but work and rework plans to make sure they get it right. Even now they are still working on changes.

TarzanRocked99-

WOW how interesting, it appears that DHS is open til 10pm most nights and not 7pm...

Funny how people can pick and choose info to try and further their argument.

Deep Sigh - really guys you want to bring in the calander ok here we go, lets look at the next 2 weeks starting today shall we (not including Extra Magic Hours)

Fri 13th - 7:00pm
Sat 14th - 7:00pm
Sun 15th - 10:00pm (Fantasmic night)
Mon 16th - 7:00pm
Tue 17th - 10:00pm (Fantasmic night)
Wed 18th - 7:00pm
Thu 19th - 10:00pm (Fantasmic Night)
Fri 20th - 7:00pm
Sat 21st - 7:00pm
Sun 22nd - 10:00pm (Fantasmic night)
Mon 23rd - 7:00pm
Tue 24th - 10:00pm (Fantasmic Night)
Wed 25th - 7:00pm

I am not trying to make waves, and I don't post things that are not factual. The point is the parks attendance is down, its summer a 7:00pm closing is nuts. I love Disney, I am here everyday, all I am saying is that Potter is having an effect on WDW and hopefully it will fix a lot of the issues we have had with TDO

RSoxNo1

Actually he refutes many of the rumors. Crushes them actually. It is Garcia that tries to rehabilitate Hill and Lutz claims not Staggs.

Um... this artice has pretty much been in line with what's been said on here.

Aladdin might work. The carpets in Adventureland are supposedly nothing to worry about, as rumors say that the spinner will be converted to Dumbo 2, and the carpets themselves are getting shipped off to Tokyo DisneySea.

I'm still trying to figure out what was changed. The time is only slightly extended, the budget was only increased slightly, he hinted at a thrill ride but also hinted that nothing major was being removed.

Aladdin is staying put.

If only we could get Staggs to look at AK.

I disagree. AK has much more serious issues that need to be addressed.
Epcot is doing just fine.

Amen.

So, after 15 pages of no facts whatsoever, it all comes back to the original article, and Staggs's confirmation that something is indeed being changed in the Fantasyland plans.

It all pretty much adheres to what I've been hearing so far:

- Pixie Hollow is gone.
- M&Gs getting downscaled or consolidated but not eliminated.
- Slight increase in budget, combined with savings from cuts, will go to 1-2 new, C- or D- ticket rides. Most likely, traditional dark rides.

No need for all this fantastical extrapolation or the dredging up of every rumored E-ticket from the last 15 years. And I think everyone is traying to parse Staggs's comments way too closely.

Now what I'm looking for is this: While it has not come up at all in the information I've received, I'm looking for someone to assuage me that the new plans don't involve Toy Story Playland. My concerns:

1) Pixie Hollow gone and needing replacement
2) TSPL already designed and very cheap to replicate
3) TSPL already used as a "backup" when it was substituted at the last minute for Glacier Bay at HKDL
4) Toy Story is "boy friendly", according to marketing wisdom
5) TSPL includes mild thrill elements

Like I said, no one has mentioned this to me as a possibility. But I want assurance that it's not in the cards.

Also, all the gender typing in this discussion drives me crazy. I loved *everything* at WDW when I was a kid (everything that didn't terrify me, of course). And I still ride pretty much everything when I'm there. Fantasyland included.

I haven't heard it mentioned as a possibility, but you never know...
The practicality of just recycling it again may really appeal to the bean counters.

I really hope not, and honestly doubt it.
I had heard that Studios was going to be the home of any future Pixar properties, and agree with that plan.

It really wouldn't make sense to put Toy Story land here, I definitely wouldn't rule it out for The Studios though, it might even make more sense for bean counters than the Monster's Inc Coaster or Carsland. BTW, what's the capacity for RC Racer? It looks like it's an operational nightmare.

So to wrap up the thread so far:

1) No one can confirm what changes are being made.

2) No one has confirmed these changes will be even a ride

3) No one has confirmed what part of the original plans have been scrapped.

4) No one can confirm when we will know about these changes

5) If the changes are a ride (which hasn't been confirmed), no one can confirm if it will be an E, D, F, G, X, Y, Z ticket ride.

I think my information is out of date, and it's less than a month old. The good thing is, it looks like they've only wasted money on the Pixie Hollow development, instead of actually building it out. The rumor that I heard for this area still seems far fetched, but I'll do my best to get some more info.

Tigger1988

Deep Sigh - really guys you want to bring in the calander ok here we go, lets look at the next 2 weeks starting today shall we (not including Extra Magic Hours)

I am not trying to make waves, and I don't post things that are not factual. The point is the parks attendance is down, its summer a 7:00pm closing is nuts. I love Disney, I am here everyday, all I am saying is that Potter is having an effect on WDW and hopefully it will fix a lot of the issues we have had with TDO

Considering now marks the point where kids are going back to school, no this isn't an odd sight. But you acting like DHS was closing at 7pm THE ENTIRE SUMMER is just laughable.

Over the next few weeks all the parks will begin closing earlier, as they do every year once school kicks in. Nothing new, shocking or worrisome.

wdwfan22

So I should stop posting on a discussion forum?

I would at least know what I was talking about before I post it. You just make yourself look foolish otherwise. Your whole Universal packed Disney not is really making you look foolish. I'm not saying potter isn't packed, but they do have lower capacity in that area than other parts of the park. Disney's numbers have been good for the entire summer and above those of Universals.

Grizzly Hall 71

I would at least know what I was talking about before I post it. You just make yourself look foolish otherwise. Your whole Universal packed Disney not is really making you look foolish. I'm not saying potter isn't packed, but they do have lower capacity in that area than other parts of the park. Disney's numbers have been good for the entire summer and above those of Universals.

Universal packed Disney? Well Disney's has dropped 2% and Universal rose 2%.

Better not let Tigger see this grammar mistake or he'll say your post makes no sense. (He checks grammar around here).

Tigger1988

Universal packed Disney? Well Disney's has dropped 2% and Universal rose 2%.

Better not let Tigger see this grammar mistake or he'll say your post makes no sense. (He checks grammar around here).

Good try, but I'm a woman. Just another example of you posting while not knowing what you're talking about.

Carry on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom