Staggs says changes to Fantasyland...

docnabox

My thoughts for what would make a great addition to Fantasyland in place of the hopefully scrapped Pixie Hollow idea would be a mountain based on Sleeping Beauty. Actually my idea would be that it would be based on Briar Roase and Maleficent....sorta my take on "Villains Mountain." Sleeping Beauty is probably one of my all time favorite Features from both a visual and story perspective. If you will recall, I do believe that Maleficent lived in Forbidden Mountain (yes, I do recall that that moniker is attached to Expedition Everest as well) but that could even be the name of the attraction. This concept would allow the idea of the princess theme to stay but it would be a lot better than coloring pictures with Briar Rose. Additionally, I think it would appeal to boys because it could heavily feature Prince Philip and more importantly, Maleficent as herself and the dragon. I would think boys would like the fighting and dragon part especially.

In my mind, I picture is as a dark craggy mountain in the distance behind the scupltured forests so heavily featured in the film. The entrance to the attraction could be through the Woodcutter's Cottage and the overall concept of that which is already conceived for the meet and greet could just be relocated. Many favor a coaster but I picture another flume ride similar to Splash. The pace of the ride would allow for detailed story telling from the peaceful gradens to the darkness of the final battle with Philip battling the dragon and your boat about to get blasted with her fire as you take a final plunge.

Obviously, I am not an imagineer so I realize that is a pretty poor description of what I envision but maybe some of you out there can see it too or help to flesh it out more. And if you hate the idea, don't blast me, I am a frequent lurker but post rarely!

Oh, and yeah, as for Pixie Hollow? Well, if that is something that they just HAVE to include, wouldn't it make sense to put it in the location of the old Skyway station. Obviously a scaled down version of what they had planned but it would allow for the meeting and greeting and would be adjacent to Peter Pan which makes more sense overall I guess.

jt04

My thoughts for what would make a great addition to Fantasyland in place of the hopefully scrapped Pixie Hollow idea would be a mountain based on Sleeping Beauty. Actually my idea would be that it would be based on Briar Roase and Maleficent....sorta my take on "Villains Mountain." Sleeping Beauty is probably one of my all time favorite Features from both a visual and story perspective. If you will recall, I do believe that Maleficent lived in Forbidden Mountain (yes, I do recall that that moniker is attached to Expedition Everest as well) but that could even be the name of the attraction. This concept would allow the idea of the princess theme to stay but it would be a lot better than coloring pictures with Briar Rose. Additionally, I think it would appeal to boys because it could heavily feature Prince Philip and more importantly, Maleficent as herself and the dragon. I would think boys would like the fighting and dragon part especially.

In my mind, I picture is as a dark craggy mountain in the distance behind the scupltured forests so heavily featured in the film. The entrance to the attraction could be through the Woodcutter's Cottage and the overall concept of that which is already conceived for the meet and greet could just be relocated. Many favor a coaster but I picture another flume ride similar to Splash. The pace of the ride would allow for detailed story telling from the peaceful gradens to the darkness of the final battle with Philip battling the dragon and your boat about to get blasted with her fire as you take a final plunge.

Obviously, I am not an imagineer so I realize that is a pretty poor description of what I envision but maybe some of you out there can see it too or help to flesh it out more. And if you hate the idea, don't blast me, I am a frequent lurker but post rarely!

Oh, and yeah, as for Pixie Hollow? Well, if that is something that they just HAVE to include, wouldn't it make sense to put it in the location of the old Skyway station. Obviously a scaled down version of what they had planned but it would allow for the meeting and greeting and would be adjacent to Peter Pan which makes more sense overall I guess.

Interesting concepts. I think PH helps them address the capacity issues. And I think it will appear in some form because it perfectly fits the "forest" setting. The idea someone posted of a Tea Cup/Toad/Pooh etc mini British land is one of the best blue sky ideas I have heard in awhile. Toy Story land would be a nightmare for the FLE. I can't wait for the final announcement. And kudos to OrSen forposting the updated version of the interview. I can't help but wonder if they got a phone call :lookaroun

By the way, all the talk of how crowded potter is...well that is because everyone is trying to fit into a relatively small "land". Of course it would be crowded. :lol:

Fastpass for Soarin...still available.

Hate to tell you guys...if you've been to EPCOT, it's D.E.A.D. you can get a fastpass for Soarin after 3:30pm on a SATURDAY.

Magic Kingdom will always be busy on the weekends...but closing at 11pm on a Saturday night doesn't bode well for your attendance numbers.

Oh...and to the newness/fad sort of theories of Harry. It might be new, but Harry Potter is a worldwide classic that spans generations and has already received Classic status in the literary world. What's the last thing that Disney has done that crossed over between generations and channels? Harry was a book, that got made into a series of movies, and now an area in a theme park and people really think that this is going to go away if two/three years? Probably not, your kids, kids will be there in 2050 going "wow...this is amazing." Harry is here to stay and JK Rowling has had more impact on the lives of kids/preteens/teens/and some adults than Disney has in the last thirty years. It's time to man up and realize that and realize that Disney has been feeding things into their Standard Story Template for far too long.

Will I still goto work and visit when I'm not there? You betcha. But Harry is a game changer folks and I've experienced what the results are on both sides. While I appreciate the commentary from armchair fans who come down here once a year from out of state you're not on the ground level like some of us are and those of us who see it everyday.

SeaCastle

Hate to tell you guys...if you've been to EPCOT, it's D.E.A.D. you can get a fastpass for Soarin after 3:30pm on a SATURDAY.

Magic Kingdom will always be busy on the weekends...but closing at 11pm on a Saturday night doesn't bode well for your attendance numbers.

Oh...and to the newness/fad sort of theories of Harry. It might be new, but Harry Potter is a worldwide classic that spans generations and has already received Classic status in the literary world. What's the last thing that Disney has done that crossed over between generations and channels? Harry was a book, that got made into a series of movies, and now an area in a theme park and people really think that this is going to go away if two/three years? Probably not, your kids, kids will be there in 2050 going "wow...this is amazing." Harry is here to stay and JK Rowling has had more impact on the lives of kids/preteens/teens/and some adults than Disney has in the last thirty years. It's time to man up and realize that and realize that Disney has been feeding things into their Standard Story Template for far too long.

Will I still goto work and visit when I'm not there? You betcha. But Harry is a game changer folks and I've experienced what the results are on both sides. While I appreciate the commentary from armchair fans who come down here once a year from out of state you're not on the ground level like some of us are and those of us who see it everyday.

Attendance fluctuates every day. Touringplans.com listed today as low crowds for EPCOT and DAK, but bad crowds in DHS. Yesterday Epcot and DHS were packed. You can't assume attendance is down for the summer just because one park you visiited on one night had low crowds. Traditionally the crowds die down as August wears on. In August 2008i when we last went, it was as dead as the Haunted Mansion, and that was before WWOHP.

jt04

If it was as you say there would be no need for it's followers to feel the need to always go on about how great it is. I'd put it on par with Star Trek as a franchise if it remains as popular 40 years from now. It certainly does not hold a literary candle to LotR however. Maybe Wizard of Oz. Maybe.

RSoxNo1

Universal packed Disney? Well Disney's has dropped 2% and Universal rose 2%.

Better not let Tigger see this grammar mistake or he'll say your post makes no sense. (He checks grammar around here).

A few things about that article. This was 2nd quarter attendance, and Disney and Universal had different 2nd quarters.

First and foremost, Disney's 2nd quarter did not include Easter weekend this year, but last year it did. That can at least in part explain the drop in attendance.

What's signficiant is that Universal saw an increase in attendance when Harry Potter was largely in soft openigs for the bulk of their quarter. The real sign will be third quarter attendance, and it's effect on Universal Studios (the main park), Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.

I would guess that Islands of Adventure will draw attendance from (in order) Universal Studios first, Animal Kingdom 2nd, and Hollywood Studios 3rd. I'm just hoping that the effect on Animal Kingdom is significant to the tune of a significant investment into the park.

I think that given the way Disney spends money, they could have the same budget for Fantasyland over at Animal Kingdom, and still not have that park "fixed"

$300 million (rumored Fantasyland budget) could cover re-locating Festival of the Lion King, and a new land replacing Camp Minnie Mickey. This would be the easiest thing to do in that park, but it still wouldn't address Dinorama, the broken Yeti, or the inaccessible plot of land behind Kali River Rapids.

DisneyParksFan1

artad

many plans

Hum..........Pixie Hollow ride was going to be the same ride system as another new ride going to another park........maybe use the same ride system but flip the theme to ........something else......maybe even annex a Tomorrowland attraction and re-theme it....... maybe add an attraction that glides on a cushion of air.......

who knows....

Tigger1988

It takes more than $$$$ made to achieve "classic" status. If simply selling books, making movies based on those books and "impacting the lives of kids/preteens/teens and some adults" gains "classic" status then Twilight is right there next to Harry Potter.

Only time will tell if something is a "classic". Many things can have an impact, lasting impact is the challenge.

jt04

Hum..........Pixie Hollow ride was going to be the same ride system as another new ride going to another park........maybe use the same ride system but flip the theme to ........something else......maybe even annex a Tomorrowland attraction and re-theme it....... maybe add an attraction that glides on a cushion of air.......

who knows....

I believe that is the part of PH that has been canceled or perhaps rethemed.

Now putting said ride in an indoor 360 degree futuristic setting with all of the original but updated functions of that location, well that would be magical. :)

Tadifer

wow...I haven't posted here in AGES...lol anyway, random thought...so I know at IoA we have Marvel Island...but um since Disney owns it now, who's to say they're not like, hey lets have some Marvel here too? That would be pretty dang fantastic.

DisneyParksFan1

Haha,

I was surprised to see this in the news though. It was a charming thing to see in the news. Maybe because the Sentinel had it.

It all started with "Lee".... Haha,

EDIT: Ahhh, I see, Lolz.

DisneyParksFan1

wow...I haven't posted here in AGES...lol anyway, random thought...so I know at IoA we have Marvel Island...but um since Disney owns it now, who's to say they're not like, hey lets have some Marvel here too? That would be pretty dang fantastic.

Well, our insiders mentioned that people in the forums HAVE indeed mentioned what they seem to be doing with FLE, and I don't recall anyone mentioning Marvel or there being any hardcore conversations about it. I think it'd be a better fit at DHS. Great idea though, definitely fits the boy-centeredness. :)

I'm having quite some trouble trying to find out what it is that they will be doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom