Staggs resigns

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
This is the End was very funny. Can't wait for their animated movie later this year :hilarious:

It was okay; I thought Danny McBride was the best part. The concept of the movie was intriguing - I just wished the script had been in more capable hands (sometimes that "enhanced" state doesn't mean quality ;)). Plus, Seth Rogen plays the same character over and over and over.....

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It's just like the Frozen phenomenon where fans begged for a good Disney Princess film... then they got it... and now they hate it because it became too popular.
I dont think people necessarily started to hate Frozen, they just got sick of seeing it EVERYWHERE. If it wasnt TWDC plastering the sister faces on something, it was a local shopping mall or roller skating rink having some type of Frozen weenie. It got really crazy for awhile.

And Star Wars was going to catch flak regardless of how good/bad it was. Abrams made a story of history repeating itself (in a sense) and many people were upset he didnt go in a new direction. But Look what happened when Abrams rebooted Star Trek. He went in a completely different direction from the previous stories and people were upset.

Mike S

I dont think people necessarily started to hate Frozen, they just got sick of seeing it EVERYWHERE. If it wasnt TWDC plastering the sister faces on something, it was a local shopping mall or roller skating rink having some type of Frozen weenie. It got really crazy for awhile.

And Star Wars was going to catch flak regardless of how good/bad it was. Abrams made a story of history repeating itself (in a sense) and many people were upset he didnt go in a new direction. But Look what happened when Abrams rebooted Star Trek. He went in a completely different direction from the previous stories and people were upset.
Yeah. Regardless of what I think of Frostrom the ride I have no problem with Frozen the movie. I was lip syncing to the songs last time I watched it :cautious:

I also loved TFA despite its similarities to ANH.

ANJ

There has been more spin on this Staggs thing then on the Mission space attraction. Staggs did not leave voluntarily. No one at this level does not even Meg. Staggs was made to be a somewhat sacrificial lamb for Mr. I. Things are not well in the mouse house. Oh but the stock has been doing so well you say. Its all about what have you done for me lately in the world of big business. Lately we have had SDL and MM+. That's all that needs to be said. Where ol' where is George K? What a good soldier you are! Retirement is just around the corner big guy. There is an awful lot collateral damage left in the wake of this CEO as far as some careers are concerned. The BOD has seen enough. For all of you Iger lovers, what he has done has not been any stroke of genius. He had a blank check and bought three companies that were a no brainer. A first year MBA student could have made those decisions. The decisions that took some balls to make? MM+ SDL? Haven't gone so well. All the decisions that have been made are at the feet of one man. Iger. Right now he is a very nervous man, he should be. The shine is officially off this CEO. The failed NFL franchise attempt didn't help. But don't feel bad for this guy. He will ride off in to the sunset with millions of dollars. We should all be so fortunate.

Its 50/50 that Iger makes it to 2018. When it does happen, it will be a fight of epic proportions on who will be the successor.

74 and ford explorer two of the most polarizing members here, yet MOST of what they say is right. Weather you like them or not. 74 would make a fantastic game show host. Explorer would make a fantastic contestant. I happen to like them both very much. They both have their place here on the Magic.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here is what I do not understand. All the negative about Iger and Staggs on this web site is that all they do is do what the Board and stock holders want. They are only looking after the bottom line. Now the same people want us to believe that with the bottom line still doing well, Staggs is forced to go and Iger is not far behind. Both can not be fact.

ParentsOf4

Here is what I do not understand. All the negative about Iger and Staggs on this web site is that all they do is do what the Board and stock holders want. They are only looking after the bottom line. Now the same people want us to believe that with the bottom line still doing well, Staggs is forced to go and Iger is not far behind. Both can not be fact.
It's a good ol' fashion power play for who will run the company after Iger's gone. Much of what's being leaked is spin; justification after the fact for what's transpired.

Some are suggesting Staggs is being pushed out the door. The reality is that he's still has a contract and cannot be forced to leave. He needed to show more fortitude in the face of adversity. Getting the top job is a cutthroat business; Iger had to battle and put up with a lot of grief before becoming CEO. Staggs should have expected no less of a fight.

Staggs had at least another year to turn the tables. The fact that he's leaving now suggests that, current profits aside, all is not well in behind the curtains.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

Have we all moved on to how amazing Marvel is and how perfect it fits in to the Disney BRAND and how Iger was a genius for using stockholder $$$ to buy it? ... Just want to check because, if so, I can likely check out again for a while ...

About the only worse thing would be discussing how amazing WDW is today. Ya know what I mean?

I'm sure this is not a popular opinion, but I am really not interested in Marvel at the parks. I feel like it would give Disney an excuse to be Six Flags-esque in their designs. And I really want Disney to stick with what it does best (solid family attractions, although not recently) than try to imitate Six Flags or Universal. While hero movies are fun, they are becoming a bit excessive. I could be on board if Disney wanted to do one solid Guardians ride, or something to that extent, but I miss original attractions. The gender focus seems to be a new incentive that just isn't necessary. When my family went to the parks in the 90s my brothers never complained that there weren't enough boy attractions, because Disney's attractions are more generic and aimed at the whole family. The only time this might have been true was when I wanted to meet princesses, who of course doted on my younger brother, so it wasn't all that terrible. If one were to gender stereotype, it could even be argued that with the emphasis on science in Epcot and Tomorrowland that there are more male-oriented attractions. So the Marvel is needed for boys argument just doesn't sit well with me. Why is Disney so unsatisfied with their own product that they have to rely on every other type of IP to drive their new offerings? I'm not sure I'll ever understand, but a company that does not buy into its own offerings and productions, is one scary company. As a side note, I consider Pixar and Star Wars, and Muppets more worthy, because I suppose nostalgically they fit in well with the parks to me.

BatStang2000

Do you get gold stars if you steal lunch money from a special needs child you ask?

Gold Stars? Nope, you just get more for lunch?
I am also from KY and I was a father of a special needs child for 26 years. You should be ashamed of yourself ! My special needs daughter died at the age of 26 and spent much of her school years bullied, belittled and ridiculed because she was different than others. To make fun of these children because of they way they were born is one of the lowest forms of adult behavior. You are old enough to know better and it is not funny.

Goofyernmost

It's a good ol' fashion power play for who will run the company after Iger's gone. Much of what's being leaked is spin; justification after the fact for what's transpired.

Some are suggesting Staggs is being pushed out the door. The reality is that he's still has a contract and cannot be forced to leave. He needed to show more fortitude in the face of adversity. Getting the top job is a cutthroat business; Iger had to battle and put up with a lot of grief before becaming CEO. Staggs should have expected no less of a fight.

Staggs had at least another year to turn the tables. The fact that he's leaving now suggests that, current profits aside, all is not well in behind the curtains.
Try and keep in mind that Staggs is not one of the regular people that most of us are. He will also leave a very rich man. He won't be running to the unemployment line very soon. I find it tough to feel any sorrow for any of them. They will be just fine, they might have to sell one of their racing pony's though. :cry::arghh::bawling:

Last edited:

rael ramone

Also hearing and reading here the typical fan speculation about the whys. The whys are multiple and they've all been discussed here. I don't believe it was one thing. It was multiple. Although I can tell you the word at 1401 Flower is that Staggs is being scapegoated by Bob and the BoD for multiple issues, but pretty much ... Shanghai Disneyland Resort.

It seems like $DIS is sending out multiple messages...

There is of course the 'Official' message that came from the press release...:rolleyes:

Then there's what seems to be the 'inside scoop' that's being reported by much of the business press. (Staggs not being promised the job so he chooses to leave). I suspect that this 'info' is actually authored by Zenia - to send a message to the general investment community: 'He's not right for the big chair, but we'll find someone better. Great we find this out now.... your investment is ever so safe with us'.

Now firing someone as a scapegoat is most definitely a message even if never actually verbalized.

To whom? (Could be more then one of the possibilities below by my non-insider speculation)

1. Internal - Nobody's job is too big to lose if you don't fill your quota (as in double digit margins and a rise in the stock price while not touching the Buyback Fund).

2. CCP - Gotta keep the new sheriff's happy...

3. Due Diligence Investors - those who don't settle for what the financial press & corporate mouthpieces have to say. They dig deeper to have an edge over other investors by seeking out more info by looking in other places, like say.....the WDWMAGIC boards! It would not surprise me in the least that investors who wouldn't be caught dead getting their picture taken with Elsa or eating a Turkey Leg are reading these boards looking for actionable info.... hedge fund people....CALPERS directors....etc. The sacking could be a message to these people that 'the Shanghai problem has been taken care of'...

4. M&A Investors - perhaps the message is 'We're For Sale'...

rael ramone

Just throwing this out there, but Disney is acting just like Anheuser Busch did before they got gobbled up.

Read as little or as much into that as you will. I don't hold all the answers on this.

So after all this a possible reason to actually own $DIS shares at this level...

As a speculative buyout candidate...

Just like a single drug Biotech firm in a sea of red hoping for their first drug approval....

WildcatDen

You answered yourself, I never mentioned Ohio Valley. Because I was clearly targeting the "going out of business sale" part.
Schmeesh.
You clearly replied to my post where I pointed out I was talking about the Ohio Valley and you inject two companies to make your point. Those companies are not in the Ohio Valley and as such, your reply was non-value added. I understand most if not 90% plus of businesses DO NOT have going out of business sales, but I know I got a good 2 to 3 weeks out of that Gil's Silly Putty before it started to turn.

WildcatDen

ford explorer . . .Explorer. They both have their place here on the Magic.
He gets cranky when you use his maiden name. It is Exploder, not Explorer. Also, thanks for clearing up the 'Who can play in the Sandbox" question.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom