Staggs resigns

WildcatDen

I am also from KY and I was a father of a special needs child for 26 years. You should be ashamed of yourself ! My special needs daughter died at the age of 26 and spent much of her school years bullied, belittled and ridiculed because she was different than others. To make fun of these children because of they way they were born is one of the lowest forms of adult behavior. You are old enough to know better and it is not funny.
My sincerest apologies to you and your family for your loss.
It is a shame when bullying is allowed to occur. In fact, where my kids go to school, Special needs kids are championed and empowered and at my oldest daughters graduation, the loudest and longest ovations were for the graduating special needs kids. That being said, bullying is not exclusive to Special Needs kids.

What is the name of the school district you lived in? I hope you confronted the school administration. What changes were made in the district after you confronted them? I hope they are lasting changes.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It seems like $DIS is sending out multiple messages...

There is of course the 'Official' message that came from the press release...:rolleyes:

Then there's what seems to be the 'inside scoop' that's being reported by much of the business press. (Staggs not being promised the job so he chooses to leave). I suspect that this 'info' is actually authored by Zenia - to send a message to the general investment community: 'He's not right for the big chair, but we'll find someone better. Great we find this out now.... your investment is ever so safe with us'.

Now firing someone as a scapegoat is most definitely a message even if never actually verbalized.

To whom? (Could be more then one of the possibilities below by my non-insider speculation)

1. Internal - Nobody's job is too big to lose if you don't fill your quota (as in double digit margins and a rise in the stock price while not touching the Buyback Fund).

2. CCP - Gotta keep the new sheriff's happy...

3. Due Diligence Investors - those who don't settle for what the financial press & corporate mouthpieces have to say. They dig deeper to have an edge over other investors by seeking out more info by looking in other places, like say.....the WDWMAGIC boards! It would not surprise me in the least that investors who wouldn't be caught dead getting their picture taken with Elsa or eating a Turkey Leg are reading these boards looking for actionable info.... hedge fund people....CALPERS directors....etc. The sacking could be a message to these people that 'the Shanghai problem has been taken care of'...

4. M&A Investors - perhaps the message is 'We're For Sale'...
You were doing well until #4, which makes you sound like a nutjob.

Rodan75

It's a good ol' fashion power play for who will run the company after Iger's gone. Much of what's being leaked is spin; justification after the fact for what's transpired.

Some are suggesting Staggs is being pushed out the door. The reality is that he's still has a contract and cannot be forced to leave. He needed to show more fortitude in the face of adversity. Getting the top job is a cutthroat business; Iger had to battle and put up with a lot of grief before becaming CEO. Staggs should have expected no less of a fight.

Staggs had at least another year to turn the tables. The fact that he's leaving now suggests that, current profits aside, all is not well in behind the curtains.

If Iger was still backing Staggs 100%, he could have easily 'volunteered' to remain chairman until 2020 to supervise Staggs ascension to CEO. I think you are right, something else is rotting behind the scenes that got Iger and the board to encourage Staggs to leave.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had at least something to do with the ESPN image issue that they have been fighting the last 8 months. For as much as this board likes to blame things on Shanghai and MDE, ESPN and media networks has caused significant decline in Disney stock price. Staggs as COO probably didn't handle that well (neither did Iger) and failed to sufficiently impress the board. It is interesting that the Wall Street Analysts haven't said anything negative about Staggs...

ColdSarsaparilla

Methinks Shanghai is a disaster of epic proportions.

Iger must be clutching. Staggs is his scapegoat and the on-stage cuts they've made at WDW (which is their most resilient property) are at near never-before-seen levels because of it. All in the name of keeping quarterly earnings reports consistent.

The hubris of Burbank is biting them in a major way in China.

ColdSarsaparilla

Iger will continue to pour money into films. And he's not wrong to cultivate those IPs. From each IP spawns numerous potential revenue streams.

The unfortunate thing for us as fans of Walt Disney World is that Parks and Resorts is the low hanging fruit. Labor is always the easiest expense to cut in any business, and Parks and Resorts is their most labor-intensive entity. And WDW, in particular, has such goodwill and a loyal fan base that can essentially be taken advantage of. WDW is, for all intents and purposes, the whipping boy for TWDC.

What we really need is excellent leadership at the helm of Parks and Resort that can regularly turn lemons into lemonade. Chappie is not that person.

AEfx

You know what kind of CEO we need? One that's not afraid to admit mistakes and take some personal accountability.

Former CEO of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata (R.I.P), took a 50% pay cut when things weren't going so well for the purpose of avoiding layoffs.

So we should be giving Iger a raise, then?

Overall, the Walt Disney Company is still doing better than ever.

Magenta Panther

Iger will continue to pour money into films. And he's not wrong to cultivate those IPs. From each IP spawns numerous potential revenue streams.

The unfortunate thing for us as fans of Walt Disney World is that Parks and Resorts is the low hanging fruit. Labor is always the easiest expense to cut in any business, and Parks and Resorts is their most labor-intensive entity. And WDW, in particular, has such goodwill and a loyal fan base that can essentially be taken advantage of. WDW is, for all intents and purposes, the whipping boy for TWDC.

What we really need is excellent leadership at the helm of Parks and Resort that can regularly turn lemons into lemonade. Chappie is not that person.

I wonder if he's the dope behind the Tower do-over and the Muppets in Liberty Square fiasco. :p

VJ

I'll wait for YouTube.
I'm honestly excited for what I'm calling the Star Wars overdose (especially after how good TFA was) and I haven't even seen the Rogue One teaser yet. But I will, eventually.

Update: I saw the teaser. Looks like a fan film. I dunno what to think so far.

Last edited:

truecoat

It seems like $DIS is sending out multiple messages...

There is of course the 'Official' message that came from the press release...:rolleyes:

Then there's what seems to be the 'inside scoop' that's being reported by much of the business press. (Staggs not being promised the job so he chooses to leave).

Never heard of an executive "choosing to leave" but being kept on as a consultant. They usually choose to leave then they take a better position.

Mike S

So we should be giving Iger a raise, then?

Overall, the Walt Disney Company is still doing better than ever.
If Iger was like the individual I mentioned the mishandling of Shanghai would be made known and the guests and cast at the U.S. resorts wouldn't be paying for it with quality cuts. He and his execs would pay with cuts to themselves. As it should be.

In other words, we're not the ones who fumbled. They are.

Cesar R M

Schmeesh.
Those companies are not in the Ohio Valley and as such, your reply was non-value added.
DlJVpiu.gif

Cesar R M

If Iger was still backing Staggs 100%, he could have easily 'volunteered' to remain chairman until 2020 to supervise Staggs ascension to CEO. I think you are right, something else is rotting behind the scenes that got Iger and the board to encourage Staggs to leave.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had at least something to do with the ESPN image issue that they have been fighting the last 8 months. For as much as this board likes to blame things on Shanghai and MDE, ESPN and media networks has caused significant decline in Disney stock price. Staggs as COO probably didn't handle that well (neither did Iger) and failed to sufficiently impress the board. It is interesting that the Wall Street Analysts haven't said anything negative about Staggs...
At this rate, I wonder what WILL impress the stockholders.
When you set the ceiling ridiculous right and even when you have your best years ever you have to make cuts.. things are beyond retarded.

You know what kind of CEO we need? One that's not afraid to admit mistakes and take some personal accountability.

Former CEO of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata (R.I.P), took a 50% pay cut when things weren't going so well for the purpose of avoiding layoffs.
I cant imagine someone with a huge ego like IGER doing that.. EVER
There are so many CEOs that prefer to see the company crash, burn, get sold in pieces and leave happily with a golden parachute they never deserved.

Wow, a CEO with integrity! Who'da thunk?
Yeah, I cant imagine Iger sharing anything at all...

ANJ

Did anybody ever wonder why Iger got into the NFL ( National Football League for those playing a long at home ) relocation derby to begin with? Four letters for you. ESPN No bigger cash cow in sports then the NFL. He thought if he could align himself with the NFL it would bail out ESPN. Oooooopppps

the.dreamfinder

Written by the author of "DisneyWar", James B. Stewart.

Full text with some annotations
Behind the Scenes at Disney as It Purged a Favorite Son
08stewart1-articleLarge.jpg

Common Sense

By JAMES B. STEWART

Thomas O. Staggs, then the chief financial officer of the Walt Disney Company, was having lunch with Robert A. Iger and other high-ranking Disney executives in 2003 in the company’s boardroom when food lodged in Mr. Iger’s windpipe.

With Mr. Iger struggling to breathe and turning red, another executive started pounding his back, to no effect. Mr. Staggs leapt up, and applied the Heimlich maneuver so forcefully that he broke one of Mr. Iger’s ribs. Out popped a piece of chicken.

Stanley P. Gold, then a Disney director, sent Mr. Staggs a note: “You’re a hero.”

In the byzantine world of Hollywood media conglomerates, not even saving the future chief executive’s life confers any job security. In a throwback to the tumultuous era of Disney’s former chief executive, Michael D. Eisner, who anointed — and then discarded — a series of potential successors, Mr. Staggs was purged this week.

Just a year ago, it appeared that Mr. Iger and Disney’s board had turned the page on Disney’s troubled past and executed the delicate task of succession at the top with the same flawless precision they brought to this year’s premiere of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

In 2010, Mr. Iger named Mr. Staggs chairman of the company’s theme park division, broadening his management experience while putting him in a horse race with Jay Rasulo, who replaced Mr. Staggs as chief financial officer. Last year Mr. Staggs emerged the winner. Mr. Iger named him chief operating officer, and Mr. Rasulo departed.

It was literally a textbook case of a smooth succession: The Stanford business school professor David F. Larcker used it as an example in the latest edition of his book “Corporate Governance Matters.”

Disney “went through a process that seemed very sensible and effective,” Professor Larcker told me this week. “Within a year it has all unraveled. That’s a nightmare scenario for the board and the company.”

Disney said Mr. Iger, who is 65 and has been running Disney since 2005, still plans to retire as scheduled in 2018, a little more than two years from now. But there is no immediate successor within the company, and no obvious candidate outside it.

After six years of observing and grooming Mr. Staggs, 55, the board has to start over.

Mr. Iger and Mr. Staggs were close both professionally and personally. They seemed to have much in common: easygoing, personable, youthful-looking fitness buffs, lovers of fine wine.

They have children close in ages. They and their families vacationed together on the maiden voyage of the Disney cruise ship Fantasy, and shared several trips to Walt Disney World.

Mr. Staggs had every reason to believe he was on track to succeed Mr. Iger. During the year since Mr. Staggs was named to the No. 2 position, Disney had moved from one triumph to another: an Oscar for the revived animation unit’s “Big Hero 6”; lavish praise and box office success for Pixar’s “Inside Out;” vindication of the Marvel acquisition with another smash “Avengers” hit; the record-setting opening of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

And then there is Disney’s most ambitious project of all: the imminent unveiling of its $5.5 billion Shanghai Disneyland resort, Mr. Staggs’s major achievement as theme park chairman. In the year that Mr. Staggs was chief operating officer, first-quarter earnings jumped 36 percent to a record $2.9 billion.

True, Disney’s stock price, along with market averages, was down. After peaking at over $120 in August, it was trading this week at just under $100. But that decline was set off by Mr. Iger’s comments to analysts that growth at the Disney-owned sports network ESPN was slowing under subscriber losses. Until then, Disney had been the best-performing stock in the Dow Jones industrial average for 2015.

Mr. Iger also appeared to be laying the groundwork for his own next act: to lead the National Football League’s return to Los Angeles after a 21-year absence. Mr. Iger was granted options to buy minority stakes in the Raiders and Chargers and was named chairman of a holding company that would move the teams to Los Angeles and oversee the building of a new stadium and adjacent real estate development.

Mr. Iger met with N.F.L. owners in Houston in January to pitch the deal. According to a detailed account in the Disney-owned ESPN the Magazine, Mr. Iger’s legendary charm fell flat with the league owners, who opted for a rival bid on Jan. 12. Mr. Iger’s franchise options were terminated.

Perhaps the timing was simply coincidence. A person close to the board said the collapse of the deal had nothing to do with Mr. Iger’s evaluation of Mr. Staggs, and that Mr. Iger became involved with the N.F.L. out of a sense of civic duty. Had the bid succeeded, it would have been at most a part-time job.

In any event, in the following weeks board discussions about Mr. Staggs’s future intensified. Unknown to Mr. Staggs, some on the board had resisted naming him chief operating officer the year before, but Mr. Iger had prevailed. Those reservations surfaced again periodically, focusing on whether Mr. Staggs was the ideal person to lead Disney over the next 10 years, a period likely to take the company into the uncharted waters of the continuing digital revolution and the post-cable era.

In mid-March, Mr. Iger summoned Mr. Staggs to his office and dropped a bombshell: Mr. Staggs lacked the full confidence of both Mr. Iger and the Disney board, which had been discussing Mr. Staggs’s performance at recent board meetings. Mr. Iger told him Disney was going to broaden its search for his successor.

Mr. Iger didn’t say explicitly that Mr. Staggs was out of the running, but the message was clear. Mr. Iger made no effort to persuade Mr. Staggs to stay. He offered no specific criticisms, according to a person close to Mr. Staggs, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to disclose company matters publicly. Instead, Mr. Iger offered only a vague reference to Mr. Staggs’s lack of vision.

(Both Mr. Staggs and Mr. Iger declined to comment for this column.)

The next week both men were away, spending spring break with their families. After they returned, they discussed the terms and timing of Mr. Staggs’s departure, which they decided would be announced this past Monday. In making the announcement, Mr. Iger praised Mr. Staggs’s contributions and called him a “great friend.”

Mr. Staggs has been publicly gracious. He said it had been a “privilege” to work at Disney, and he and Mr. Iger had lunch on Tuesday in the rotunda of the Disney headquarters cafeteria, where they were visible to many employees.

Within the ranks of Disney, where Mr. Staggs continues to be widely admired, there was widespread shock. “Everybody on Wall Street loves Tom,” said Doug Creutz, senior media and entertainment analyst for Cowen & Company.

Mr. Staggs’s contract provides for a six-month period as a consultant. He will not be present on June 16 for the gala opening of the Shanghai Disneyland Resort in China, his signature achievement during his tenure at Disney.

No one is perfect, and Mr. Iger may well have developed reservations about Mr. Staggs over the past year. But whatever his and the board’s motives in orchestrating Mr. Staggs’s departure, one thing is clear: Mr. Iger is now indispensable at Disney.

While Mr. Iger has said he intends to adhere to his decision to retire in 2018, the odds of that actually happening are considerably longer, given the task of finding and grooming a successor for a company as large and complex as Disney, a process that could easily take far more than the two years remaining on Mr. Iger’s contract.

For longtime Disney employees and observers, the situation is all too familiar. Among Mr. Eisner’s heirs apparent was Jeffrey Katzenberg, who left to found the rival studio DreamWorks after Mr. Eisner famously reneged on a promise to make him president.

Michael Ovitz, the superagent who was at the time Mr. Eisner’s best friend, lasted less than a year as president before Mr. Eisner undermined him and then had him fired. Pressed by the board to name a successor, Mr. Eisner cited the entertainment executive Barry Diller, but then wrote a confidential letter to the board saying that “the fact he was a homosexual should have no weight,” which, at the time, all but guaranteed Mr. Diller would never succeed him.

Mr. Eisner was in the midst of undermining Mr. Iger, telling board members he lacked “stature,” when a shareholder revolt led by Roy E. Disney, Walt’s nephew, forced Mr. Eisner’s resignation.

While more facts may emerge, what is known so far “is fully consistent with Mr. Iger wanting to remain as chief executive,” Professor Larcker said. “There’s a long history in business of picking a successor and then discrediting them.”

Disney insists that the decision had nothing to do with Mr. Iger’s wanting to extend his tenure. Given his superb track record at Disney, he could surely stay as long as he wants. Unlike the situation when Mr. Eisner left, Disney is by no means in crisis. The animation unit, film operations and theme parks, in particular, seem to be firing on all cylinders.

But the person who has close ties to the board told me that board members have been keenly interested in succession and, given Disney’s history, very aware of the perils of a chief executive who stays too long. With Mr. Staggs gone, and no other obvious candidate to take his place, the board may have little choice but to beg Mr. Iger to stay.

“If you’re a Disney board member, your workload has just gone up a lot and you’re going to get a lot of scrutiny,” Professor Larcker said. “Now they have to get someone better than Staggs. That’s going to be a pretty high bar.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom