Trip Report Springin' Into WDW Solo! March 2016

I just got back from my second solo trip a couple weeks ago. I was there from March 19-24. It was a fabulous trip.

A little back story, I'm a teacher and my husband is a pastor, and since this year's Spring Break fell during Holy Week there wasn't anyway he could come with me. So I decided to travel solo again, first solo trip was last March. I want to be home for Easter so my plan was just for a Saturday-Thursday trip, in the end I wish I had spent the whole week there, but I always want more time in WDW.

Before I move on to the report here a couple links to the other two trip reports I've done recently and ever.....
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ts-wdw-november-2015-lots-of-pictures.907613/
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/back-to-disneyland-ringin-in-2016.909039/

So Saturday March 19th came and my husband drove me to the airport early for my 8 am flight. I had been wide awake since 1:30am, I was so excited I just couldn't sleep. The flight was pushed back an hour because of supposedly icy roads. The pilot told us the flight crew was delayed because of icy roads; I didn't quite buy that story as even though it had been lightly snowing the roads weren't bad at all. My flight was on Spirit so I was a little nervous as I had heard bad things about them, but I had a big seat in the first row and my flight, even though delayed, was very nice.

Okay, finally in Orlando and I made my way to the Magical Express. It seems as if delay was the theme of the day, we were on the bus ready to go and then we were delayed because the driver got sick. Luckily it wasn't a long delay, 5 minutes later a new driver was there and we were on our way.

IMG_5435.JPG

IMG_5437.JPG

And it was raining so it put a bit of a damper on arrival! Sorry for the pun, nothing could dampen my excitement!
IMG_5442.JPG

My resort this time was the All Star Sports, mostly because it was the cheapest. To be honest for years, I have avoided the All Stars like the plague, but I stayed at the Movies last year and enjoyed it and my stay at the Sports was enjoyable too. I have a stay booked for the Music in June, so I hope my luck holds out!
IMG_5446.JPG

My room at the Sports, a little sparse in decoration. But it was clean, very close to the bus stop, and the bed was comfortable.
IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5452.JPG

I had done online check in and I got a text about 10 minutest after leaving the airport that my room was ready. I really like just being able to go to my room.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I enjoyed my time on the Liberty Belle. As we passed Frontierland, I was slightly confused for a second and I wondered where New Orleans Square was. :facepalm: Maybe I've spent too much time in Disneyland. LOL! ;)

IMG_5863.JPG

I spent some time in here while I waited for us to get moving.
IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5870.JPG

IMG_5875.JPG

IMG_5877.JPG

IMG_5878.JPG

IMG_5889.JPG

After the Liberty Belle, I used my Big Thunder Mountain fast pass. It IS the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness! It was such a ride, that I worked up an appetite. I was headed for Cosmic Ray's but as I passed the Friar's Nook I heard some mac and cheese calling my name. So I got the BBQ Chicken Mac and Cheese (without the coleslaw). I love the buttered bread crumbs on top. And I was able to get a table with a castle view! Sorry Sonny Eclipse, maybe I'll visit next time for dinner.
IMG_5894.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I finished day two with a spin on the Peoplemover. Then I headed into the hub to find a spot for Wishes. I was going to watch from over by the Mine Train but I had told my husband I would Periscope it for him and he wanted to see it from the hub. Oh the sacrifices I make! I was able to catch the Celebrate the Magic projection show, and I do enjoy that a lot.

Confession: There was a family in front of me at the projection show and they hadn't been to WDW before. When the projection show got done. They expressed their disappointment in the "fireworks" show and started to haul off their kids and left. I was going to tell them that the fireworks were coming up in just a minute or two but the dad said some bad words and kept standing in front of me. And since he was tall and blocking my view I didn't say anything. I had a much better view of the Wishes then. I did feel kind of bad, but I'm sure they figured it out when they heard the music start.

IMG_5896.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

IMG_5898.JPG

IMG_5899.JPG

IMG_5900.JPG

IMG_5901.JPG

IMG_5908.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG

After Wishes, I wandered around for awhile and did the Jungle Cruise, Pirates, and the Flying Carpets. I also enjoyed a Mickey Premium bar and watched the Main Street Electrical Parade from afar before heading out. It was a fun and action packed day for day two!

Coming up tomorrow...Animals on a chilly day, sunburn, and Flower and Garden fun at Epcot!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Your photos just get better and better! (Love the photo of the Minnie sculpture! :inlove: )

You also figured out that one of the best things about going solo is that you can change your mind instantly, about what to do next. I like the flexibility of spontaneous decisions, most of it based upon crowd size at any particular attraction, or if a ride is down. :)

Lastly, the mac/cheese dish you had at Cosmic Ray's looked very good. For some reason, I've only had burgers or chicken there, but that mac cheese looked yummy!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Your photos just get better and better! (Love the photo of the Minnie sculpture! :inlove: )

You also figured out that one of the best things about going solo is that you can change your mind instantly, about what to do next. I like the flexibility of spontaneous decisions, most of it based upon crowd size at any particular attraction, or if a ride is down. :)

Lastly, the mac/cheese dish you had at Cosmic Ray's looked very good. For some reason, I've only had burgers or chicken there, but that mac cheese looked yummy!

This @MinnieM123 , I thought you would appreciate the Minnie statue! I do like the spontaneous nature of the solo trip, although when I travel with my husband he is pretty good about changing the plan up too. We are kind of go with the flow people on vacation. Oh, and the mac and cheese was from the Friar's Nook in Fantasyland (by the carousel), you might want to try it when you go. There is also a pot roast one that is good, but that one definately needs salt and pepper but they don't have any salt and pepper packets there, you need to bring your own (I usually stop at the Village Haus for some salt and pepper before I go to the Friar's Nook).

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So day three started with a healthy breakfast at the food court. ;) Okay maybe as healthy as a donut. I had a chocolate cupcake with a little caramel and toasted coconut. It was pretty tasty with my coffee.
IMG_5933.JPG

IMG_5935.JPG

I made my way to Animal Kingdom and saw a little of the Pandora construction while waiting to get in.

IMG_5940.JPG

I really like the morning light on the Tree of Life. This turned out a little blurry as I didn't really stop to admire the tree. It was a chilly day today, I think it stayed in the mid 60's most of the day and was super windy. It was in the mid 50's this morning. So Everest was really chilly.
IMG_5942.JPG

IMG_5943.JPG

IMG_5950.JPG

I had a seat in the front. Actually both times I rode on this morning (back to back) I ended up riding with the same girl. She was a blogger and was periscoping the ride. Later I told hubby to check out her scope so he could "ride" with me.
IMG_5964.JPG

Then I headed to the safari, and I think the animals liked the cooler weather because they were really active on this particular safari.
IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

And the painted dogs. When I rode in November the hyenas were out but I didn't see them this time. I'm wondering if Disney is getting them ready for the sunset/night safaris but that is just a guess.
IMG_5987.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
A few more from the safari...
IMG_5989.JPG

I'm really happy with this picture, I always try to get a decent cheetah picture and I finally got one in which I can tell it is a cheetah! I was so happy and I was thinking "Geez, this is the best safari I've been on yet!". And then we turned the corner.
IMG_6005.JPG

As we rounded the bend I was treated to the male lion up on the rock! I have never seen him on the rock with his head up or even visible really. So this totally made the safari!
IMG_6007.JPG

IMG_6009.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

IMG_6029.JPG

I have to head out for the day, but coming up next a little Dinoland Disco (ok I didn't really disco but it sounds fun.).

Doc Disney

They expressed their disappointment in the "fireworks" show and started to haul off their kids and left

Oh my goodness...some people just do not do their research/read times guide/etc etc hahahaha. Glad it worked out well for you in the end! Loving your report and your pictures! Your pictures are a great reminder of all the little details Disney puts into everything :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Have to say, you should win some sort of prize for that close-up of the lion!!! :happy: Wow! (I've seen the lion standing up before and I've also heard the roar, but those were very rare instances.) Usually, the lion is sleeping and hard to see from the safari vehicle.

Wow, I haven't ever heard a lion (or a Disney lion roar). You are lucky there. Now I have a new item to add to the bucket list. But I am happy I got to see him sitting as you said they are usually sleeping.

Oh my goodness...some people just do not do their research/read times guide/etc etc hahahaha. Glad it worked out well for you in the end! Loving your report and your pictures! Your pictures are a great reminder of all the little details Disney puts into everything :)

I'm glad you are enjoying my report. I do love the Disney details too!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Continuing on to Dinoland. I actually meant to explore the area a little more but I ended up just going on Dinosaur and then moving on.
IMG_6033.JPG

IMG_6036.JPG

IMG_6038.JPG

IMG_6041.JPG

IMG_6043.JPG

After Dinosaur I wandered back to Everest hoping the single rider line would be short. It wasn't. The single rider line was 45 minutes, no thanks.
IMG_6049.JPG

There was an opening in the screens for the Rivers of Light area so here is a peek inside.
IMG_6051.JPG

Here is a quick pic of a monkey area in the Asia section.

IMG_6052.JPG

I wandered to Africa and I was hoping the Harambe market would be open as I was a little hungry (the cupcake wasn't cutting it), but it wasn't. But since it was 10:30 I figured if I did the Pangani Forest Exploration trail, by the time I got done the market would be close to opening.
IMG_6055.JPG

IMG_6056.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So I went to explore the Pangani Trail. Up until a few year ago I had never done the trail, I balked at the idea of more walking. But I now love the trail in Africa and Asia. I find that they are gorgeously themed and provide a relaxing journey with some great animal views. If you have never done them you really should.

On the Pangani Trail, I found this beautiful flower.
IMG_6058.JPG

And waterfall
IMG_6059.JPG

The hippos were in good view too.
IMG_6062.JPG

And the gorillas were pretty active too.
IMG_6078.JPG

Once I was done with the trail I still had about 10 minutes to wait until Harambe Market to open. I found a sunny spot and relaxed.
I ended up getting the curry battered sausage. It was good. It needed a little more spice, a little more zip, the mustard provided that though. It came with a chilled tomato salad with black eyed peas and a carrot slaw. Both were good, I wasn't expecting them to be. I'm not a big fan of raw carrot so I didn't eat a lot of the slaw.
IMG_6084.JPG

IMG_6085.JPG

I wandered back to Asia, and to be honest I was still hungry. So I stopped at the Yak and Yeti and got a side dish of fried rice. It was delicious and for $3.99 a real bargain. The Yak and Yeti has a nice seating area and after the rice I was stuffed.
IMG_6086.JPG

IMG_6089.JPG

I decided to jungle trek it on the Maharajah Jungle Trek, I was hoping the tiger would be active and it was. I really don't like bats at all so I walked VERY swiftly through that area (that is the only flaw of this trek). Although there were some nice carvings on the door leading into their enclosure and this was as close I wanted to be to observing the bats.
IMG_6092.JPG

One of the tigers was active so that was nice to see. I usually see them sleeping.
IMG_6099.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I thought this was a neat detail on the trail, it was a water fountain but had the "local's jugs" too.
IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_6102.JPG

IMG_6104.JPG

There was a musician on the trail. It was very pretty music and gave the area a nice atmosphere.
IMG_6105.JPG

IMG_6106.JPG

IMG_6108.JPG

Outside of the trail was a beer cart. It wasn't operating but I really liked the tappers.
IMG_6113.JPG

IMG_6114.JPG

Another view toward the Flame Tree.
IMG_6116.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I decided to check out the single rider line again, the wait for the single rider was listed as an hour now, and the regular was longer so. I just looked around the area and decided to head back to the resort for some picture taking and relaxation there.
IMG_6119.JPG

IMG_6120.JPG

IMG_6122.JPG

IMG_6123.JPG

On the bus I noticed this sign, a sign of Star Wars fever...
IMG_6124.JPG

So I decided to tour around the All Star Sports. I do like the little Disney statues they put in the area. No one can ever say the Values are beautiful, but there are fun touches that add a nice touch to the experience of staying at them.

IMG_6125.JPG

IMG_6128.JPG

It was still pretty chilly. When I was standing in the sun and out of the wind the weather wasn't bad, I think it was in the mid 60's. But with the wind it felt cooler. So no one was in the pool, at the time of my tour. Some people were in the Surf's Up pool but just a handful.
IMG_6133.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

IMG_6137.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Continuing the All Star Sports tour....
IMG_6140.JPG

IMG_6142.JPG

I liked the angry tennis Donald, I thought it was fitting for his character. I could just imagine him throwing his racket.
IMG_6144.JPG

IMG_6150.JPG

IMG_6151.JPG

IMG_6159.JPG

IMG_6160.JPG

Since the pool area was basically desserted, it was really relaxing there. I grabbed a beer from the pool bar and relaxed with my book in the sun, there wasn't much wind at the pool so the temperature felt wonderful. I felt a little tired after reading a couple chapters, so I thought I would take a quick nap. Since I when I nap I rarely nap longer than 15 minutes I wasn't really concerned that I hadn't put on sunscreen. (I hadn't planned to spend more than 30 minutes there.) Well an hour and a half later....I woke up. And I was burned. So on the coldest day of my trip I got sunburned. Luckily I had turned over so my face didn't get burned. You'd think being in my late 30's I would be smarter, but I guess not.

IMG_6163.JPG

So this was my view when I woke up...
IMG_6167.JPG

Once I woke up I went back to the room and changed before heading out to Epcot for a little Flower and Garden.
IMG_6173.JPG

Okay, I'm out for a little bit. But coming up soon....Flower and Garden at Epcot....flowers, food, and fun!

jaklgreen

Loving your trip report. I am close to your age and go on solo trips and LOVE it! I tour like you do, making a few FPs and then winging it and take time to look at the details. My favorite place it the Mahrajah jungle trek aviary. I could sit there for hours watching the birds. Glad you are enjoying your trip.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok, so I headed off to Epcot for Flower and Garden Festival. The topiaries at the front entrance were fantastic. I thought the Donald Duck and the Huey, Dewey, and Louie figures were super cute.
IMG_6174.JPG

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6181.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

IMG_6186.JPG

I also really liked the tribute to the 100 years of the National Parks was pretty awesome.
IMG_6190.JPG

IMG_6194.JPG

IMG_6201.JPG

IMG_6205.JPG

IMG_6197.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom