SPOILERS: What if...? -- Discussion of Most Recent Episodes (Starting Aug 11, '21)

khlaylav

Has there been any indication of what... well, what-if scenario is gonna start off the show? I'd guess Captain Peggy since that's been a focus of the trailers so far. Or is it bouncing from alt universe to alt universe within each episode?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Has there been any indication of what... well, what-if scenario is gonna start off the show? I'd guess Captain Peggy since that's been a focus of the trailers so far. Or is it bouncing from alt universe to alt universe within each episode?
Captain Britain will indeed begin the series.

doctornick

I liked it a lot. Felt like it was aimed squarely at (adult) MCU fans and not something kiddy. Would have actually liked it being longer or having an after credit scene or something with Carter being part of the (different?) Avengers.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I love the animation - reminds me of a more refined Paperman meets old rotoscope look.

The Peggy flying and leaping scenes were amazing. I kinda want to go back and just watch those moments again - and loved the era-appropriate soundtrack to those moments, too.

Loved hearing the voices of so many actors I adore - but honestly, Dom Cooper was the best performance. And yes, I'm partial - he's one of my top five MCU faves and he stole every one of these scenes as he does in every Marvel film and show he's been in. It didn't hurt that his animation was spot on - as opposed to poor Bucky who was completely unrecognizable. Did not look like Sebastian Stan at all.

For voicing was also super happy to have Ross Marquand back - I'd say his performance was second to Dom's - he does an incredible impression of Hugo Weaving's version of the character.

Storywise, probably the tightest, most satisfying thing on Disney+ for the MCU so far. Solid and enjoyable. Looking forward to more.

khlaylav

Got another tease for a future episode from I09. In an interview about tomorrow's episode of Star Panther (T'Challa Lord?), executive producer Brad Winterbaum had this to say about the episode (emphasis mine)

"Compared to an upcoming Nick Fury episode, which Winderbaum described as an exercise in trying to get the superspy to break under unimaginable pressure and fear, What If’s time with T’Challa is spent exploring the ways in which the hero’s subtle influence on others changes them in profound ways."

MarvelCharacterNerd

A few thoughts:
  • Animation was gorgeous again
  • Fast pace again a welcome change from the slower live action shows
  • Happy they got so many side character actors back - not just the big gets like Kurt Russell and Josh Brolin (who was clearly having too much fun with this interpretation of Thanos) but John Kani and Seth Green and Ophelia Lovibond
  • Nerdy fanboy Korath is kind of adorable :D
  • Never realized how attractive the Collector was - minus BDT's usual quirks and delivery
  • Oh, Karma! :D
  • Nebula saving her dad and later: Oh, dad! :D
  • T'Challa speechifying beautifully just emphasizes what a tremendous loss this was :(
  • Yondu <3
  • Cosmo cuteness
  • Beautiful dedication to Chadwick at the end
Looking forward to more!

MarvelCharacterNerd

I very much like the rotoscope-esque animation style (cel-shaded) they are using. Reminds me a lot of Scanner Darkly and some of the others that have come out in the last couple decades.
It really is so pleasing to the eye, unlike a lot of CGI stuff. I can't watch anything that feels uncanny valley. I can't watch any of the Star Wars animated shows even though I hear that several are terrific because the animation style just disturbs me to watch. It just messes with my brain. But this is really lovely.

Then again, one of my childhood faves was the Fleischer Gulliver's Travels, which was rotoscope mixed with regular 2D animation.

khlaylav

I'll throw this under a spoiler tag to be safe:
According to reports and leaks, this week's episode is an Agatha Christie style murder mystery set during "Fury's Big Week," or the period between Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk and Thor. Basically, someone's killing off those in the Avengers Initiative, and Widow is the primary suspect.

Princess Leia

I was not a fan of Benicio Del Toro’s vocal performance in the last episode. Was really missing the manic sound he had in his other performances.

LSLS

I kind of haven't liked this series. I'm not sure why as I liked the concept. I guess I'm not enjoying the stories at all for whatever reason.

doctornick

This episode was definitely interesting. What was strange is they really didn't do the "what if" moment that changed everything - I guess because that would have been "what is Hope Pym joined Shield?" which would have kinda spoiled the episode. I actually like to see/hear the specific butterfly effect that makes all the changes.

Also, how did an arrow kill Thor? I know he was depowered without Mjolnir but he still would have Asgardian physiology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom