SPOILERS: What if...? -- Discussion of Most Recent Episodes (Starting Aug 11, '21)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
This episode was definitely interesting. What was strange is they really didn't do the "what if" moment that changed everything - I guess because that would have been "what is Hope Pym joined Shield?" which would have kinda spoiled the episode. I actually like to see/hear the specific butterfly effect that makes all the changes.

Also, how did an arrow kill Thor? I know he was depowered without Mjolnir but he still would have Asgardian physiology.

It was a nice nod to the comics in which Wasp was one of the founding members of the Avengers, which was left out of the MCU continuity.

Also, besides acting on grief, it's been established in the comics and mentioned in the MCU that Hank had to give up being Ant-Man because too much exposure to Pym particles scrambles the brain... enough to become a homocidal maniac.

khlaylav

This episode was definitely interesting. What was strange is they really didn't do the "what if" moment that changed everything - I guess because that would have been "what is Hope Pym joined Shield?" which would have kinda spoiled the episode. I actually like to see/hear the specific butterfly effect that makes all the changes.

Also, how did an arrow kill Thor? I know he was depowered without Mjolnir but he still would have Asgardian physiology.
To your point about an arrow killing Thor: dude got taken down by a taser. Arrow to the chest is gonna do some significant damage.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Yeah, this one was DARK. Good, but dark.

Still loving the animation. Though this one was pretty clear to me which scenes/dialogue Benedict didn't get to record last minute, hence Robin Atkin Downes' "Other Voices" credit when he likely did the original read before they got Benedict last minute to finish up most of it.

Hope that's the darkest this gets but last week was in its own way dark, too.

Can we have a non-death-focused episode please? 'k thanks

JAB

This week's Dr. Strange episode...
...borrows a lot from the 2002 Guy Pearce version of "The Time Machine" where the protagonist travels back in time repeatedly to try and prevent his fiancée's death only have her die in some other way each time because saving her would create a paradox, since her death was what prompted him to create the time machine in the first place. He refuses to accept that her death is unchangeable and - similar to Strange travelling to the past to find long-lost knowledge - he travels further and further into the future in the hopes that science will eventually advance enough to provide the answer he seeks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
This week's Dr. Strange episode...
"Spoilers for 'The Time Machine' (2002)" ..borrows a lot from the 2002 Guy Pearce version of "The Time Machine" where the protagonist travels back in time repeatedly to try and prevent his fiancée's death only have her die in some other way each time because saving her would create a paradox, since her death was what prompted him to create the time machine in the first place. He refuses to accept that her death is unchangeable and - similar to Strange travelling to the past to find long-lost knowledge - he travels further and further into the future in the hopes that science will eventually advance enough to provide the answer he seeks.
Don't need spoilers tag in a spoilers thread. :)

Ripken10

I know people expect spoilers for "What If...?", but I added the spoiler tags for 'The Time Machine' just in case. Probably unnecessary for a 20 year old movie, I suppose, but I figured it didn't hurt. 😏
A spoiler for a movie that this thread is not about, the use of spoilers was correctly used. I completely agree with you. People are coming in here because they (presumably saw, or don't care to be spoiled) about What If. If you bring up another movie or show, it should still go in a spoiler tag. Thank you.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
they are allowed to if they want to
Can you point to where I said they weren't allowed to?
I Do What I Want No GIF by Britannia on EPIX

MarvelCharacterNerd

So they're not letting up on the darkness. Next episode is Zombies.
Wonderful. Murder to repeated death to zombies. :p

Can't we just have, I dunno, Marvel characters cuddling with puppies* for half an hour? Lots and lots of puppies? Oh, maybe I'll just go watch Dug Days instead. :D

* except for Loki. Loki would ONLY cuddle with kitties. :D

khlaylav

Man, Hammerin Hank Pym remains taking the L in the universe(s). First he has to deal with Scott as partner/effectively son in law and got Snapped, then Hope dies and he goes nuts taking out the Avengers, and then he's the reason the zombies come out to play! Starting to feel bad for the guy at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom