SPOILERS: What if...? -- Discussion of Most Recent Episodes (Starting Aug 11, '21)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But I'm kinda bummed they're tying these stories together. Was enjoying having something simply anthology/standalone.

The Watcher is what tied all the stories together in the first place, they were never meant to truly be standalone. If you've noticed he has been getting more and more involved as each story unfolds until he became directly part of the story in this last episode.

MarvelCharacterNerd

The Watcher is what tied all the stories together in the first place, they were never meant to truly be standalone. If you've noticed he has been getting more and more involved as each story unfolds until he became directly part of the story in this last episode.
Rod Serling is what tied all the Twilight Zone episodes together, but it was still a successful anthology series without his participation IN the stories (for the most part - I do still love the meta bit in "A World of His Own" because it was such an unusual moment and worked for that story). As I said, I'd've simply preferred these as standalone without the Watcher's growing involvement.

doctornick

But I'm kinda bummed they're tying these stories together. Was enjoying having something simply anthology/standalone.
Agree. I liked the idea of standalone episodes. This was the perfect vehicle to contrast against the heavily connected MCU by having stories that don’t have to be in service of each other. But then this episode happened. Not really a fan.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Rod Serling is what tied all the Twilight Zone episodes together, but it was still a successful anthology series without his participation IN the stories (for the most part - I do still love the meta bit in "A World of His Own" because it was such an unusual moment and worked for that story). As I said, I'd've simply preferred these as standalone without the Watcher's growing involvement.
I get that is what you preferred, but the whole premise of the series (which is based on the comics of the same name and premise) was always stories connected via The Watcher. Uatu is always comparing the events of our Marvel Universe (Marvel-616) with that of other universes in the multiverse, hence "What If". So even if you didn't have Uatu getting directly involved you'd still have the connected thread of "Hey this event happened in your universe what happened if it played out slightly differently and how would the dominoes fall". That is why I'm saying it was never meant to be pure standalone stories, it was always meant to be connected.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I get that is what you preferred, but the whole premise of the series (which is based on the comics of the same name and premise) was always stories connected via The Watcher. Uatu is always comparing the events of our Marvel Universe (Marvel-616) with that of other universes in the multiverse, hence "What If". So even if you didn't have Uatu getting directly involved you'd still have the connected thread of "Hey this event happened in your universe what happened if it played out slightly differently and how would the dominoes fall". That is why I'm saying it was never meant to be pure standalone stories, it was always meant to be connected.
Not to mention, in the comics, Uatu is constantly getting involved anyway. All the internet comic nerds saw the connection parading up Fifth Avenue.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Thank you. I've no issue with Uatu comparing the events as a framing device just as Serling gave his observations/background/context for each Twilight Zone episode. Simply saying I'm personally less interested in the individual stories suddenly being a single connected arc rather than random separate incidents (anthology).

But his increasing role does explain why they cast a recognizable actor rather than using a more generic narrator for the role of Uatu. Though Jeffrey Wright for me will always be the guy who vampire Loki bribed for blood so he could continue his affair with the vampire Ancient One and her sister vampire Alice who were friends with vampire Doctor Who and hitting on Chekov in the best non-IP film ever made with an all-IP-famous cast. lol

khlaylav

Tomorrow's episode title has been revealed: WHAT IF the Watcher Did What Anyone With Comics Knowledge Knew He Was Gonna Do Anyways?

Huh, little wordy.

WHAT IF The Watcher Broke His Oath?

JAB

A couple of questions after watching the finale:

1. All of the "Guardians" except for Gamora were featured in a previous episode. Was there another episode that got cut, or was it always the intention to not show that universe until the last episode (I'm guessing either way it was to keep the Infinity Stone Crusher reveal until the last minute)?
  2. What do the writers/showrunners have against Tony Stark? They killed him off in multiple episodes, and then, in the final episode, make a point to explicitly exclude him.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

1. All of the "Guardians" except for Gamora were featured in a previous episode. Was there another episode that got cut, or was it always the intention to not show that universe until the last episode (I'm guessing either way it was to keep the Infinity Stone Crusher reveal until the last minute)?
  2. What do the writers/showrunners have against Tony Stark? They killed him off in multiple episodes, and then, in the final episode, make a point to explicitly exclude him.
There was a Gamora and Stark episode that wasn't ready for this season. It will show next season...

DCLcruiser

1. What do the writers/showrunners have against Tony Stark? They killed him off in multiple episodes, and then, in the final episode, make a point to explicitly exclude him.
He leads to Ultron in each universe. He always wants to build a protective shield around the planet/galaxy.

Watch this one, it goes into the theory about why Fury and The Watcher didn't want Stark...

MarvelCharacterNerd

Finally got around to watching the finale.

So... I watched it.

Does that make me The Watcher?

Sorry, that's about all I got out of it. Plus some chemistry between Peggy Carter and ZombieVerse Black Widow.

Still disappointed it wasn't an anthology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom