SPOILERS: The Mandalorian Season 2 Discussion

Mike S

for the most part, i didn’t have any issues of dawson’s take on ashoka. i like the character in general, but went in there thinking she’ll be portrayed & played differently than we’ve seen her in the clone wars.
To me she seemed as I’d expect her to be at this point in her life. It’s not like she’s all of a sudden some reclusive curmudgeon. That would’ve been a bad call IMO.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Not a superfan and haven't watched the animated series ( neither has Mrs Adams).
We both really enjoyed the episode and did catch some of the references to previous SW.

hopemax

Except that line wasn't part of Ashoka's direct experiences. Ashoka has her own life journey to feed that kind of reservation. This isn't simply copy and paste from other parts of the star wars universe (like the "I got a bad feeling about this..." reuse). Ashoka's character has direct history here.
You think we're supposed to believe that any padawan wasn't beaten over the head, in the same way the audience has been about dark side emotions? That Yoda only said it once? I think it is copy and paste in Jedi world. Ashoka's experience may add levels of depth, but I thought we were discussing how you didn't need to know Ashoka to understand why Jedi have trepidation about training angry and fearful beings.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You think we're supposed to believe that any padawan wasn't beaten over the head, in the same way the audience has been about dark side emotions? That Yoda only said it once? I think it is copy and paste in Jedi world. Ashoka's experience may add levels of depth, but I thought we were discussing how you didn't need to know Ashoka to understand why Jedi have trepidation about training angry and fearful beings.

because ashoka was front and center for the best known “problem child” example of this. The point being its not contrived nor some dead horse beating of an old trope. It FITS her character and casual people would be familiar with the kind of concern.... because they too know of the stories of jedi and emotions/attachments.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Excellent take.

I think for me the kinda “clunkiness” of fighting off the bolts is what stuck with me a little. It was forced, not fluid...which is something that the Lucas people managed to shoot/choreograph much better in later years than the Disney offerings.

The OT was clunky - broadsword kinda look - because the tech wasn’t good enough for speed
The prequels were more fencing/ samurai with the fast movements
The Disney stuff is back to more clunky...which can be ok (one elaborate scene in a notorious movie comes to mind)...but now contrasts a bit too much with the arc of the techniques.
Ashoka is speed/elegance...which is surprising that filoni didn’t try to achieve more of the fluid you’d expect.
It was really driven home for me last night as I enjoyed "Red 2" (since I'd treated myself to re-watching "Red" recently - such an unappreciated and terrific pair of films!) - as I watched Lee Byung-Hun float with fluid grace through every action scene - he was pure art (and a beautiful man even when standing still! :D ). Fighting can be portrayed as brutality, but in Star Wars and especially in a post-Ray Park world, it should be nothing but a dance. And Rosario was clunky. Plus she kept repeating the same move with the two light sabers - even if it's a signature move, it was repetitive. 6 out of 10 for form.

1606597079051.png

21stamps

What is the timeline for Clone Wars and Rebels, are they after Darth Vader, or before?

Was Ashoka referring to Anakin when talking about the anger?

21stamps

Clone wars before vader. Rebels after Vader. And yes that was Anakin. ;)
Thank you. I never had any interest in watching the cartoon serious. I tried quickly googling today, but realized quickly that the lingo was way too much Star Wars Nerd Speak for my understanding.
I love the movies, I’m loving the Mandalorian, but I don’t have much knowledge beyond the movies themselves.

Darkprime

Thank you. I never had any interest in watching the cartoon serious. I tried quickly googling today, but realized quickly that the lingo was way too much Star Wars Nerd Speak for my understanding.
I love the movies, I’m loving the Mandalorian, but I don’t have much knowledge beyond the movies themselves.

If you ever get the time give both shows a chance. Both have some of the best Star Wars content ever produced.

Screamface

Last night was the first time in both mine and my child’s life where I felt like maybe we should have watched the Clone Wars series. 😂

I've slowly been watching it this year. I'm just up to season three. I am also watching it in chronological order, which is slightly different than the order in which they aired. I have a print out of that order and marking it off after each episode.

From what I understand I am just getting to the point it really picks up. It's a mixed bag so far, Definitely some clunkers early on, but it's improving and decent. When it's good, the 22 minutes just fly by. I haven't been completely enthralled to binge mode by it yet but as I said, apparently season three is when it's meant to get much better.

21stamps

I've slowly been watching it this year. I'm just up to season three. I am also watching it in chronological order, which is slightly different than the order in which they aired. I have a print out of that order and marking it off after each episode.

From what I understand I am just getting to the point it really picks up. It's a mixed bag so far, Definitely some clunkers early on, but it's improving and decent. When it's good, the 22 minutes just fly by. I haven't been completely enthralled to binge mode by it yet but as I said, apparently season three is when it's meant to get much better.

Have you seen the movie? I’m thinking that might be the easier/faster choice, for me.

Screamface

Here’s my FB question and I just read this answer from a Star Wars nerd friend.

There’s a Clone Wars movie apparently, I just saw the option on Disney+. If we watch that will we have more familiarity without having to watch 7 seasons of the show?

No.

The Clone Wars movie is just a few episodes of the Show Strung together. It's right at the start of the story. You won't really gain any insight from it.

Screamface

That’s the film that Ahsoka made her debut in. Mind you, there is a ton of throwaway episodes in Clone Wars so it’s hard to tell you which ones to watch and those to skip. It took me about a year and a half to complete the series, I did it at my own pace. Still, it’s a lot.

There's probably lists of essential episodes. Although from a quick google, I'm not sure which sources I'd trust. I have found those types of lists good for the Star Trek shows.

21stamps

No.

The Clone Wars movie is just a few episodes of the Show Strung together. It's right at the start of the story. You won't really gain any insight from it.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a streaming service or a short film on YouTube. If the knowledge is out there, do yourself the service and look for it and if there’s something you truly don’t understand like how certain things transpired in certain timelines then that’s something that can be asked. There’s just so much to cover on each character that one can just look for the answers themselves. If their truly interested.

The Clone Wars film was a theatrical film released in 2008. Think of it as the pilot to the rest of the series. That’s the film that Ahsoka made her debut in. Mind you, there is a ton of throwaway episodes in Clone Wars so it’s hard to tell you which ones to watch and those to skip. It took me about a year and a half to complete the series, I did it at my own pace. Still, it’s a lot.

There’s a section on the app which says “20 essential episodes”. Maybe we’ll just do that.
I will never understand or have the desire to know every single book and show on the Star Wars universe, but an overview and simple speak explanation is nice from people who do understand.. or even a direction on what to watch to gain a bit more understanding.
The Mandalorian is literally the only tv show we watch.. it’s college football and UCL season right now.. don’t have much time to fit anything else in... but we’ll try some episodes tonight.

Screamface

There’s a section on the app which says “20 essential episodes”. Maybe we’ll just do that.
I will never understand or have the desire to know every single book and show on the Star Wars universe, but an overview and simple speak explanation is nice from people who do understand.. or even a direction on what to watch to gain a bit more understanding.

Not having finished the series, and going from what I have heard. It just keeps getting better and better. So it may be worth watching the essential ones from the early seasons up to a point and then picking up the show for the final season of few seasons. Although others who have seen them would need to speak to that.

I do get it though, it's a long watch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom