SPOILERS: She-Hulk Series on D+

LSLS

Thinking back on this so far, I feel there is too much of this random episode stuff going around that is not interconnecting. I mean, we get a random villain in episode 1, then she's back for Episode 5 (I'm assuming). There was a BIG tease of someone stealing Hulk blood that we don't know, but that entire storyline just disappears for like 3 episodes now. It almost feels like the story board got jumbled and they never fixed it. I'm guessing it will all come together in the end, but honestly going that route makes me not super into the rest of the series (assuming it works amazing).

Right now, it's not must see TV for me. I was pretty excited after the fight with the kids in masks cause I thought we had the story going, and the Blonsky episode was a lot of fun. But, here we are, halfway through the series, and we don't have a bad guy, or even really a plot outside of "Woman learns to have super powers in a professional setting." I mean, the cliffhanger this week was she's getting sued to not call herself the name she doesn't like anyways? Maybe my hopes were too high for this to start, but the next episode really needs to turn things around for me.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Thinking back on this so far, I feel there is too much of this random episode stuff going around that is not interconnecting. I mean, we get a random villain in episode 1, then she's back for Episode 5 (I'm assuming). There was a BIG tease of someone stealing Hulk blood that we don't know, but that entire storyline just disappears for like 3 episodes now. It almost feels like the story board got jumbled and they never fixed it. I'm guessing it will all come together in the end, but honestly going that route makes me not super into the rest of the series (assuming it works amazing).

Right now, it's not must see TV for me. I was pretty excited after the fight with the kids in masks cause I thought we had the story going, and the Blonsky episode was a lot of fun. But, here we are, halfway through the series, and we don't have a bad guy, or even really a plot outside of "Woman learns to have super powers in a professional setting." I mean, the cliffhanger this week was she's getting sued to not call herself the name she doesn't like anyways? Maybe my hopes were too high for this to start, but the next episode really needs to turn things around for me.
But she uses Tinder and has sex! She's Just Like Me and You (TM).

doctornick

See, I view this all as a positive. I'm actually really tired of TV shows that present themselves as just really long movies cut down into parts. I prefer stuff to be more episodic and separated. Why not just have it be about Jennifer learning how to balance her life as a lawyer and a superhero (and a normal everyday person with normal wants)?

I am sure the Wrecking Crew and whoever they are working for will make an appearance again but I don't feel like every episode has to center around a single "big bad" or ongoing plot. I hope every episode has some random nominal "super powered" characters even if that is used for the B plot.

I just wish the episodes weren't so darn short. 9 episodes will be done before you know it and that's a "long" Marvel show.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
See, I view this all as a positive. I'm actually really tired of TV shows that present themselves as just really long movies cut down into parts. I prefer stuff to be more episodic and separated. Why not just have it be about Jennifer learning how to balance her life as a lawyer and a superhero (and a normal everyday person with normal wants)?

I am sure the Wrecking Crew and whoever they are working for will make an appearance again but I don't feel like every episode has to center around a single "big bad" or ongoing plot. I hope every episode has some random nominal "super powered" characters even if that is used for the B plot.

I just wish the episodes weren't so darn short. 9 episodes will be done before you know it and that's a "long" Marvel show.
"Case of the week" shows need to be lower-budget so they can crank out 20 episodes in a season. You can't do case-of-the-week and CGI-heavy, because you don't have enough episodes to build narrative momentum.

doctornick

"Case of the week" shows need to be lower-budget so they can crank out 20 episodes in a season. You can't do case-of-the-week and CGI-heavy, because you don't have enough episodes to build narrative momentum.

I agree. I realize that the CGI nature really jacks up the cost and that's an issue, but this really should have been at least 12 episodes, if not 16-20, given the the nature of how they are doing the story. This is such a great vehicle for adding in lesser known or even new and silly characters (I'm looking forward to Frog Man's appearance).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I agree. I realize that the CGI nature really jacks up the cost and that's an issue, but this really should have been at least 12 episodes, if not 16-20, given the the nature of how they are doing the story. This is such a great vehicle for adding in lesser known or even new and silly characters (I'm looking forward to Frog Man's appearance).
I guess that might help, I don't know. At the end of the day I just fine the Jennifer Walters character to be infinitely dislikable so I don't think there's any saving the show in my eyes from this creative team.

Stupido

I’m truly loving this show. Tatiana Maslany is eating the role, and I can’t wait to see more of her in the MCU.

I do think the court scenes are terribly done though, and I think the show would be much more well received if the courtroom scenes were more compelling.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Tatiana Maslany is eating the role, and I can’t wait to see more of her in the MCU.
She's acting well in a role that seems written specifically to make me hate her. The whole career-obsessed city attorney shtick is a huge turnoff to many people. I wish people would hear that criticism without resorting to accusations of misogyny.

doctornick

I’m truly loving this show. Tatiana Maslany is eating the role, and I can’t wait to see more of her in the MCU.

I do think the court scenes are terribly done though, and I think the show would be much more well received if the courtroom scenes were more compelling.

The courtroom scenes remind me of Night Court where it doesn't seem like they are intended to enjoyed as a "real" legal show, but more like the courtroom is a setting where crazy things happen. I agree that the legal proceedings are relatively superficial and silly but the show seems to intentionally be poking fun at courtroom stuff that takes itself very serious. It's understandably not everyone's cup of tea.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
She's acting well in a role that seems written specifically to make me hate her. The whole career-obsessed city attorney shtick is a huge turnoff to many people. I wish people would hear that criticism without resorting to accusations of misogyny.
Stream-of-consciousness expanding on this with an example...

*Stares at the camera* "Is there anything worse than dating in your 30s LOL?"

This joke might land in New York and LA, but the rest of the country rolls their eyes and says "I wouldn't know, I got married in my 20s." The writing is designed to only appeal to the college-educated urban professional class in coastal cities. And don't get me started on the lectures about catcalling. I don't know anyone in real life who has ever catcalled, been catcalled, or heard of anyone catcalling.

LSLS

I'd be alright with that to an extent if it was her taking random cases each week. But they aren't doing that. They seem to be linking them together, but linking them with cliff hangers, and then linking old episodes back in like 3 episodes later. If they are going to be episodic, make it that way. If they aren't make it flow. Both don't work for me.

Stupido

Yeah, I think they have some issues with balance. Some story plots are very heavy handed, and I think they could have worked better with a little more nuance.

I think they’re going for the story of someone who was given superpowers, but desperately doesn’t want them. The only reason she’s even turning into She Hulk at this point is because her boss told her it’s part of the job.

I predict the main arc of the show will be her finally accepting the superhero side of the transformation, and putting less of a focus on her law career.

I hope we arrive at a more balanced Jennifer by the end of the series.

tcool123

Stream-of-consciousness expanding on this with an example...

*Stares at the camera* "Is there anything worse than dating in your 30s LOL?"

This joke might land in New York and LA, but the rest of the country rolls their eyes and says "I wouldn't know, I got married in my 20s." The writing is designed to only appeal to the college-educated urban professional class in coastal cities.
The average age of marriage for a woman in the USA is 28, and for men 29.9. Not too far off from guessing that it’s more than just the coastal city peoples experiencing that 😉

And the average age of divorcees is around 30 in the USA

Seems like again this joke applies a lot more to your narrow category. Statistically of course 😉

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The average age of marriage for a woman in the USA is 28, and for men 29.9. Not too far off from guessing that it’s more than just the coastal city peoples experiencing that 😉

And the average age of divorcees is around 30 in the USA

Seems like again this joke applies a lot more to your narrow category. Statistically of course 😉
The joke was obviously just an example of a broader point I was trying to make. The show was written by college educated urban twitter feminists for college educated urban twitter feminists, at the expense of its appeal to everyone else.

I like to contrast it with Ms. Marvel, which I thought was the best thing the MCU has done since Endgame. Ms. Marvel uses a diverse cast to tell a story about family and values and tradition. It's simultaneously progressive and conservative at the same time and (in my opinion) ought to have universal appeal. Unfortunately, I think many people failed to even give it a chance.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I saw on Twitter complaints that Jen doesn't have an arc, but she does. Its the same for most heroic superheroes who have to balance between two worlds. Spider-Man and Superman come to mind.

In the last episode it showed how it effects her personal romantic life. Remember how Lois had the hots for Superman but friend-zoned Clark?

MarvelCharacterNerd

It keeps getting worse.

I thought the first episode was terrible, but I stayed with it. Episode 2 was largely forgettable, but it was fine. I really enjoyed the Blonsky case in Episode 3, but thought all of the Megan Thee Stallion stuff was ham-fisted. Episode 4 was worse than Episode 1 for me. Really and truly horrible writing.
This show is most definitely not my cup of tea.

I've seen people compare it to Jessica Jones, which I also really really could not get into (and I actually don't think I ever finished watching it). Both shows seem to be about unhappy women being unhappy. Oh, and also super heroes. Just so not for me.

Then again, I understand that others didn't care for Ms. Marvel, which I found to be sweet and heartwarming and uplifting and relatable, so... different shows for different folks.

Vegas Disney Fan

Then again, I understand that others didn't care for Ms. Marvel, which I found to be sweet and heartwarming and uplifting and relatable, so... different shows for different folks.

I think that’s a pro and con of Disney+, the Marvel (and Star Wars) theater movies are generally popcorn flicks designed to appeal to everyone, the Disney+ marvel (and Star Wars) series have been more risky and less formulaic so they will be hit and miss.

Even though there’s been a couple duds (for me) it’s worked pretty well so far.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Forgot this was on yesterday so just got through it.

I think if they'd started with this episode, I might have been more interested in the show. It takes an interesting legal concept, adapts it to the super hero universe and plays with it in a comedic way. Plus seeing the Edna Mode of the MCU. But I still think the show seems to basically just be about miserable single millennials being miserably single. Which doesn't appeal to me.

AND I WATCH THE BACHELOR AND THE BACHELORETTE. Just saying.

5 down. 4 to go.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Forgot this was on yesterday so just got through it.

I think if they'd started with this episode, I might have been more interested in the show. It takes an interesting legal concept, adapts it to the super hero universe and plays with it in a comedic way. Plus seeing the Edna Mode of the MCU. But I still think the show seems to basically just be about miserable single millennials being miserably single. Which doesn't appeal to me.

AND I WATCH THE BACHELOR AND THE BACHELORETTE. Just saying.

5 down. 4 to go.
Well we do know the episode order was reworked. So I suspect this was originally to be one of the first couple episodes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom