SPOILERS: She-Hulk Series on D+

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think this show had loads of potential, but struggled in execution. I actually think it wanted to be an Ally McBeal-style weird-case-of-the-week drama, but they lost their nerve and tried to make it more of an MCU-style adventure.

This is what I was expecting and what the set up seem to be… even the trailers sort of suggested it would be an Ally McBeal style show including what would her dating life be like now that she is a Superhero… there was a ton of potential there… It could of been great… it’s too bad… we need more variety in the MCU

And even the dating stuff could have been fine as a compliment to the courtroom hijinks, but the execution of that was just bad. The dating needed to be more wacky and off beat (like the relationships on stuff like Friends or Seinfeld) and not trying to convey a heavy handed message.

I think it was originally suppose to be more like an Ally McBeal type of show, but they did a lot of stuff during post-production that did change things like reorder the episodes and change the overall plot.

Screamface

I think it was originally suppose to be more like an Ally McBeal type of show, but they did a lot of stuff during post-production that did change things like reorder the episodes and change the overall plot.

It was intended to be that, but then they staffed the writer's room and realised none of them knew how to write the legal stuff and trail scenes. Words of the showrunner. So they moved away from that. Even the Wikipedia page mentions the writers were mainly too young to be familiar with Ally McBeal. So it gets back to the central issue. They keep hiring the wrong people to make their TV shows and films.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It was intended to be that, but then they staffed the writer's room and realised none of them knew how to write the legal stuff and trail scenes. Words of the showrunner. So they moved away from that. Even the Wikipedia page mentions the writers were mainly too young to be familiar with Ally McBeal. So it gets back to the central issue. They keep hiring the wrong people to make their TV shows and films.

Yes I’m well aware of the behind the scenes stuff on this show. If you go back I believe we even talk about this stuff pages ago.

As for hiring the “wrong people”, that is certainly an opinion. But I’ve enjoyed everything that’s been done. So I don’t share that opinion. But can acknowledge that not everyone is going to feel the same as I do.

LSLS

Yes I’m well aware of the behind the scenes stuff on this show. If you go back I believe we even talk about this stuff pages ago.

As for hiring the “wrong people”, that is certainly an opinion. But I’ve enjoyed everything that’s been done. So I don’t share that opinion. But can acknowledge that not everyone is going to feel the same as I do.
Eh if your idea for a show is X, and you hire people to write your show who have no familiarity with X, I think it's fair to say the wrong people were hire to create your show. That doesn't mean you need to hate what was created or you have to say it was terrible, but I think you can still acknowledge they hired the wrong people for what they intended the show to be. For what its worth, I actually have enjoyed most of the marvel/star wars shows, but I did very much dislike this one.

_caleb

Eh if your idea for a show is X, and you hire people to write your show who have no familiarity with X, I think it's fair to say the wrong people were hire to create your show. That doesn't mean you need to hate what was created or you have to say it was terrible, but I think you can still acknowledge they hired the wrong people for what they intended the show to be. For what its worth, I actually have enjoyed most of the marvel/star wars shows, but I did very much dislike this one.
But the idea probably wasn’t “let’s make another Ally McBeal.” It was probably something more like, “let’s make a modern take on a procedural courtroom comedy—like a twist on the old Alley McBeal.”

In which case, it’d likely suffice to just show the writers a select few episodes to give them some background.

MoonRakerSCM

The right people would have done background research on their own and watched some Ally McBeal to get a sense of what was being asked of them so they could start having educated discussions about the subject matter.

_caleb

This is the actual quote from the article you linked:
In an early episode, “Ally McBeal” is playing on a TV at a bar. Was that a touchstone for you at all, in life or for this show?
For the writers, it actually was not. We never really talked about “Ally McBeal” or referenced her. Because I would say most of our writers’ room was a little bit on the young side to have really known that show during its heyday. But yes, people can’t help but make the comparison to “Ally McBeal.” So “Ally McBeal” playing in the bar was a choice made during post-production.​

Why spin that as "they keep hiring the wrong people?" The article makes it clear that the creator/head writer, Jessica Gao, was a huge Marvel comics fan and clearly had a creative vision for the project.

Not everything is going to be a hit. She-Hulk deviated pretty far from the Marvel formula in a lot of ways, so it could be seen as something of an experiment. You may not have liked it (it seems like maybe a lot of people didn't like it), but your diagnosis of what went wrong (and then projecting that on the entire company) seems misguided.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

I don’t think we’re getting a second season guys

IMG_3574.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom