SPOILERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ Series

Jacob Marley

Like I said previously, these series are really filling in the gaps well
Something else I liked about this episode, during the flashbacks of Anakin and Obi-Wan dueling, showing how Anakin was SO hungry for victory and always needing to drop his opponent. Adding more depth and complexity to his gradual turn to the darkside. The prequels made it pretty much like, ok he's conflicted, now he's scared Padme might die so... he's evil now. (??) It felt lacking in how he turned from light to dark imo.
This little detail through flashbacks adds more elements to his personality and negative traits fueling the transition.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I forgot in my early post... holy ugly the CGI on anakin and obiwan during that saber dueling flashback. I think someone forgot to move the quality slider up to the right.

Normally all the face overlay stuff I'm ok, with (even Tarkin in the films)... but holy moley I have no idea what they were going for in that scene. Anakin didn't look anything like he did in EPII or EPIII and it should have been before EPIII. Yet it looked like some odd 'make him look older' thing...

If all that was just makeup on those guys.. ugh. If it was CGI... what were they thinking?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Something else I liked about this episode, during the flashbacks of Anakin and Obi-Wan dueling, showing how Anakin was SO hungry for victory and always needing to drop his opponent. Adding more depth and complexity to his gradual turn to the darkside. The prequels made it pretty much like, ok he's conflicted, now he's scared Padme might die so... he's evil now. (??) It felt lacking in how he turned from light to dark imo.
This little detail through flashbacks adds more elements to his personality and negative traits fueling the transition.

Meh... Anakin getting put in his place over his eagerness to be 'more' than he was allowed to be at the time is all over EPII and III. It's the very point of his rant about ObiW with Padme. It's the very plot line Palpatine uses to hook him.. offering him to be more than what the Jedi would allow. His for power and recognition predates his Padme death vision.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really like this episode…I think they’ve done a good job of bringing back around and setting up the finale episode.

The conflict is gonna be obvious for this one…but we have to remember that we know where the story ends.

And it’s definitive a 1 off series…probably best that way, anyway

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I forgot in my early post... holy ugly the CGI on anakin and obiwan during that saber dueling flashback. I think someone forgot to move the quality slider up to the right.

Normally all the face overlay stuff I'm ok, with (even Tarkin in the films)... but holy moley I have no idea what they were going for in that scene. Anakin didn't look anything like he did in EPII or EPIII and it should have been before EPIII. Yet it looked like some odd 'make him look older' thing...

If all that was just makeup on those guys.. ugh. If it was CGI... what were they thinking?
The cgi is ugly…but they’re still working on the technology.

If they can use this someday to do a REAL sequel…I’m all for it

spacemt354

Chili's
Anakin's turn to the dark side was multifactorial.

He lost what could have been an adoptive father figure in Qui-Gon, who was the catalyst for Anakin's training in the first place, and Obi-Wan reluctantly took on the role. They eventually became like brothers, but Anakin always felt the Council was holding him back from his potential, which lead to him being unable to save his mother.

This fear of loss, combined with the perception that the Jedi don't trust him, was fueled for a decade by another father figure in Chancellor Palpatine, who after years of enabling Anakin's frustrations, appointed him to the council knowing full well the Jedi would still hold him back.

Then Palpatine sold Anakin a lie that only the dark side was the way to save Padme after he was seeing visions of her dying. Anakin couldn't afford to lose the other person close to him and followed the wrong path.

But this all most likely wouldn't have happened if Qui-Gon had not died, hence why the score in TPM is Dual of the Fates - it's the fate of Anakin.

So I hope that if there is a Qui-Gon cameo - it's during a Obi-Wan/Vader duel and it addresses both of them somehow. That alone would turn the series around for me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Anakin's turn to the dark side was multifactorial.

He lost what could have been an adoptive father figure in Qui-Gon, who was the catalyst for Anakin's training in the first place, and Obi-Wan reluctantly took on the role. They eventually became like brothers, but Anakin always felt the Council was holding him back from his potential, which lead to him being unable to save his mother.

This fear of loss, combined with the perception that the Jedi don't trust him, was fueled for a decade by another father figure in Chancellor Palpatine, who after years of enabling Anakin's frustrations, appointed him to the council knowing full well the Jedi would still hold him back.

Then Palpatine sold Anakin a lie that only the dark side was the way to save Padme after he was seeing visions of her dying. Anakin couldn't afford to lose the other person close to him and followed the wrong path.

But this all most likely wouldn't have happened if Qui-Gon had not died, hence why the score in TPM is Dual of the Fates - it's the fate of Anakin.

So I hope that if there is a Qui-Gon cameo - it's during a Obi-Wan/Vader duel and it addresses both of them somehow. That alone would turn the series around for me.
Yeah…but that was all deep dive nerdcon kinda EU stuff.

They need to put more stuff on screens if they want to retain interest Longterm

Indy_UK

Dark side users can keep themselves alive despite certain wounds via anger. That's why Qui-Gon could not.

Darth Maul was cut in half, Anakin was BBQed, etc. So Reva staying alive I can look the other way on. How she stayed alive as a youngling? I don't know. Maybe Grogu healed her. I just thought it was silly to fake-out the Grand Inquisitor's death when he's in Rebels.
Yeah I guess I can see that.

There’s definitely going to be a cross over revealed later with Reva, Baby Yoda and probably Asoka on the night of Order 66

lazyboy97o

I’m aware that all of the saga stuff was added after the fact, which is why things contradict each other from “a certain point of view” but it seems in a lot of ways people just ignore Star Wars.

I’ve never liked having all of these other Jedi running around, and in the case of the Inquisitors, having significant power in the Imperial military. How do we get to a few years later to Vader’s “sad devotion to that ancient religion” if these people were all over the place in the Imperial system just a few years before?

I also get that the politics of the prequels dragged them down but why is there no hint of the Empire not having near total control? They made one passing reference on Tatooine to it being the Outer Rim and outside their control, but it wasn’t actually meaningful. Again, in just a few years we have senior Imperial military officers shocked that the Emperor actually went through with dissolving the Senate.

It’s good as it’s own thing, but I thought the whole point of jettisoning the Expanded Universe was to get more consistency in the canon which I don’t think has occurred. Yes, there were issues with the starting point of the six films but this doesn’t really seem to fit in the timeline.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think we just gotta ignore SOME things in a real world acceptance that - for capitalism purposes - we have to accept that SOME things can be written off due to the time, money; and technology limits of the 1970s/80s

Some things you can’t “fix”

I just remember we laughed in the 90’s of the speed of the lightsaber battles.
But it is what it is.

There was a lot of shock/disdain for the cgi Peter Cushing in R1…
…but it is what it is again.

It’s sci-fi…in the end.

Wendy Pleakley

Kenobi’s development over the series has been great and nothing like what the naysayers were concerned about. You can certainly see the hero we see in Ep IV coming out.

My issue was I wasn't quite sold on Obi-Wan being so defeatist in the beginning, after all he was intentionally on Tatooine for an important purpose. However, I totally get why living under Empire rule and not doing much of anything for so long would be demoralizing.

I do think his story arc makes a lot of sense. Going on another adventure and finding out Anakin is still alive means his goal of eventually training Luke to be all the more important. Also learning that Leia is a force to be reckoned with. It makes sense he'd have a renewed sense of purpose by the end of this series.

LSLS

Speculation on any cameos next week?
I'm still hoping for a Force ghost Qui-Gon, though probably setting myself up for disappointment.

Does Obi know the location of Yoda at the end of the prequils? I'll take Yoda appearing, and then doing something that lets Obi know where he is, and that he can train Luke (or something along those lines).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Speculation on any cameos next week?
I'm still hoping for a Force ghost Qui-Gon, though probably setting myself up for disappointment.
We've had from the start "Chekhov's force ghost" reference. It would be odd that that set-up would be left unfulfilled.

Also if the six episodes are thematic replays of Episodes 1-6 (see the YouTube link above), at the end of 6, we get three force ghosts, so...

Animaniac93-98

In hindsight, we were spoiled by the likes of Mandalorian season 1 and WandaVision being our first Disney+ series based on Marvel and Star Wars.

What they've done since has been much more inconsistent in quality and I expect the problem will only get worse as they struggle to keep mining these two properties to fill their streaming schedule (because they're too afraid to try anything else).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom