SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Linear ads are under an older model that is more lucrative than whatever stream is getting. That much seems obvious

Streaming is just slogging along. Not too much cash.

So why would they show real housewives - which is cheap and linear - as opposed to big budget Star Wars on stream?

Not really a hard puzzle to solve

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm surprised Ashoka is still getting a season 2. Feels like they are throwing away a ton of money on this just to make Filoni happy. And lets face it, Filoni needs to stick with animation .
I agree

That character is pretty much the only sacred cow from the prequel era…so I see why they’re gritting their teeth and continuing.

But it was a bit too somber. I think they need to give it a jolt of life.

We’ll see

I expect alot of cameos/flashbacks coming

Might as well throw what you got at it

Phroobar

I agree

That character is pretty much the only sacred cow from the prequel era…so I see why they’re gritting their teeth and continuing.

But it was a bit too somber. I think they need to give it a jolt of life.

We’ll see

I expect alot of cameos/flashbacks coming

Might as well throw what you got at it
Agreed. The characters needed to be more 'animated'. She goes on a quest to find Bridger and all we get is "Hi how you doing?" No hug. No nothing. So far the Rebels characters are pretty wasted.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. The characters needed to be more 'animated'. She goes on a quest to find Bridger and all we get is "Hi how you doing?" No hug. No nothing. So far the Rebels characters are pretty wasted.
Bringing it back to the acolyte/all shows…

…Disney is having a hard time responding. Just as George did 20 years ago. They hear the loud criticism…and they’re trying to respond without admitting it…but they can’t get it right. No balance

We complain that the stories and characters and dumbed down/not developed…and we’re right…so they go “too Heavy” in many with Ashoka and andor…and it zaps the juice/mass appeal.

Fundamentally…they should have been trying to capture the ethos of empire and Jedi…from the start. Both George and Bob…but were convinced that they had to “make money a different way”

That works for many franchises…not here

Phroobar

Bringing it back to the acolyte/all shows…

…Disney is having a hard time responding. Just as George did 20 years ago. They hear the loud criticism…and they’re trying to respond without admitting it…but they can’t get it right. No balance

We complain that the stories and characters and dumbed down/not developed…and we’re right…so they go “too Heavy” in many with Ashoka and andor…and it zaps the juice/mass appeal.

Fundamentally…they should have been trying to capture the ethos of empire and Jedi…from the start. Both George and Bob…but were convinced that they had to “make money a different way”

That works for many franchises…not here
Last night I watched Star Wars A New Hope and noticed it has a innocent quality to it. It's just fun to watch and recite no matter how goofy it is. No Disney Star Wars show and movie ever had those qualities.

erasure fan1

I'm surprised Ashoka is still getting a season 2. Feels like they are throwing away a ton of money on this just to make Filoni happy. And lets face it, Filoni needs to stick with animation .
The biggest reason it's getting a 2nd season is the characters still have a fanbase. Unlike the Acolyte that no one had any connection to. The high republic books, comics... weren't all that loved. Where as the clone wars and rebels are held in pretty high regard. So they'll give it another shot and hopefully do the animated series justice. The first season was just hard to watch in my opinion. If they can fix the issues it could end up being solid. So there's a much larger upside to Ashoka then Acolyte. And that's a big factor I believe as to why ones continuing and ones being flushed.
Linear ads are under an older model that is more lucrative than whatever stream is getting. That much seems obvious
Exactly. Streaming won't get that fat ad money until they start releasing better data on the performance of content on the platform. And I don't see any of the streamers being all that willing to give solid data as it then will lead to more actor residuals and things like that. I don't see anyone really paying Disney, max, peacock or any of them, top dollar unless they have a full comprehensive set of data.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Last night I watched Star Wars A New Hope and noticed it has a innocent quality to it. It's just fun to watch and recite no matter how goofy it is. No Disney Star Wars show and movie ever had those qualities.
To be fair…that’s a product of the times too

Star Wars benefited from coming after the civil rights/vietnam/watergate turmoil era

A lot of the original LFL guys have commented on it.

Phroobar

To be fair…that’s a product of the times too

Star Wars benefited from coming after the civil rights/vietnam/watergate turmoil era

A lot of the original LFL guys have commented on it.
But it is still fun to watch.

Youtuber Sydney Watson makes some good points about women in Star Wars and what George originally intended. Interesting commentary. There are some great behind the scenes and interviews with Carrie Fisher from '77 about what kind of character Princess Leia is. I also like the part where the actors of the Acolyte where asked if they would be light side or dark side. Most of the actresses said dark side. The George explains that dark side is selfishness while the light side is selflessness. Selfishness leads to fear of things being lost. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Does that mean these people inspire to be Selfish instead of Selfless. I don't think the cast really understands what the Force is.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
There’s been some rumblings from some SW scoopers that Ahsoka season two is actually not moving forward. We’ll see.
Ahsoka season 2 will likely see production once The Mandalorian & Grogu has wrapped filming, as both projects utilize the Volume technology and thus would likely have to compete for the space - and the creatives behind the project. Natasha Liu Bordizzo has recently confirmed this, implying Ahsoka will be filming in summer 2025. This would mean Ahsoka season 2 would likely release in 2026, continuing The Mandalorian & Grogu's ongoing story.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ahsoka season 2 will likely see production once The Mandalorian & Grogu has wrapped filming, as both projects utilize the Volume technology and thus would likely have to compete for the space - and the creatives behind the project. Natasha Liu Bordizzo has recently confirmed this, implying Ahsoka will be filming in summer 2025. This would mean Ahsoka season 2 would likely release in 2026, continuing The Mandalorian & Grogu's ongoing story.

I’ll just go ahead and get out ahead of this:

That movie is gonna blow. Go ahead and scoff at me…just develop amnesia about it 5 years from now 👍🏻

Phroobar

I’ll just go ahead and get out ahead of this:

That movie is gonna blow. Go ahead and scoff at me…just develop amnesia about it 5 years from now 👍🏻
Remember when they took the first four episodes of the Clone Wars and released it to theaters. Until Solo, it was the lowest Star Wars theatrical release. Critics hated it. It seems to me The Mandalorian & Gorgu movie might be the same thing. Just the first four episodes of Ahsoka.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Remember when they took the first four episodes of the Clone Wars and released it to theaters. Until Solo, it was the lowest Star Wars theatrical release. Critics hated it. It seems to me The Mandalorian & Gorgu movie might be the same thing. Just the first four episodes of Ahsoka.
It’s already played out. And episodic

Star Wars belongs in theaters…that much should be clear now.

But Mando really worked as a show…at first. But they didn’t really do anything with season three…kinda reversed everything in season 2…and went tangent from there.

But “classic” Disney Star Wars…they’re just gonna plow ahead when it doesn’t make any sense

Tha Realest

The Marvel Netflix series were still all done under Marvel Television, same as Agents of Shield, run by Jeph Loeb, even if they were put on Netflix. So they were still basically a linear show, just darker and grittier. It was all still run the same way as the ABC shows, and budgets were moderate, I think Daredevil came in around $3.3M per episode which was comparable to AoS.

So you basically just proved my point. Thanks :)
Your comment makes sense only if you ignore the earlier point you were trying to make and the conventional definition of linear television, but you keep doing you.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Your comment makes sense only if you ignore the earlier point you were trying to make and the conventional definition of linear television, but you keep doing you.
In this case the show was created and run as a traditional linear show even though it was broadcast on a streaming platform.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom