SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Star Wars doesn’t make its money off the box office

It’s a phenomenon due to licensing. That’s its entire history.

That’s where Disney has hurt itself. They lose money every minute after they release bad product because it doesn’t compel more ancillary sales.

This is obvious for Star Wars…and Disney for that matter…

That may be the most simplistic take ever

Box office is nothing

They got $2 bill in BO on the farce awakens…and they’ve lost on it

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldn't be opposed to her being the business head and Filoni being the creative head. I always thought that is the way Disney should run many of their divisions, especially on the Studios side.

Nobody here is opposed to this…

The longterm argument on Kennedy dates to when we “old guard” said that they were making mistakes/in trouble in 2018…and were scoffed at because of box office charts…by some

Well here we still are…110% correct going on a decade later…and those types have mostly gone away.

We knew…frankly

🐧 types did not. They got lost In Disney hype and it didn’t make a dent

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nobody here is opposed to this…

The longterm argument on Kennedy dates to when we “old guard” said that they were making mistakes/in trouble in 2018…and were scoffed at because of box office charts…by some

Well here we still are…110% correct going on a decade later…and those types have mostly gone away.

We knew…frankly

🐧 types did not. They got lost In Disney hype and it didn’t make a dent
I don't think anyone here, even @MisterPenguin, was opposed to having a dual creative head to work alongside Kennedy, even back in 2018. What was scoffed at was the constant calls for her to be fired at the time, or the scam rumors that her firing was imminent, which never came.

Now in 2024, all that is being said is let her finish out her contract, hand over the reigns, and retire. Which if rumors are true will happen in short order, by the end of the year or shortly after (right around Celebration).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't think anyone here, even @MisterPenguin, was opposed to having a dual creative head to work alongside Kennedy, even back in 2018. What was scoffed at was the constant calls for her to be fired at the time, or the scam rumors that her firing was imminent, which never came.

Now in 2024, all that is being said is let her finish out her contract, hand over the reigns, and retire. Which if rumors are true will happen in short order, by the end of the year or shortly after (right around Celebration).
I wasn't even opposed to KK being fired.

I was opposed to the character assassination and the blatantly false 'rumors' of her imminent firing and how certain people ate that up without engaging one cranial neuron.

Heppenheimer

Anyone buy much of the Ewoks Adventures merch?
Because I was exactly the age that would have been interested in such at the time of its release, I'm pretty sure there was little to no tie-in merchandise for what were essentially one-off TV movies.

But everyone wanted the ewok Kenner toys associated with Return of the Jedi.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Because I was exactly the age that would have been interested in such at the time of its release, I'm pretty sure there was little to no tie-in merchandise for what were essentially one-off TV movies.

I was being sarcastic, but I vaguely remember they had some plushies and a few figurines. They even had some for the Ewoks cartoon, which didn't sell much from what I remember either.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wasn't even opposed to KK being fired.

I was opposed to the character assassination and the blatantly false 'rumors' of her imminent firing and how certain people ate that up without engaging one cranial neuron.
Those rumors didnt originate from here

They were the geek webdom…same low grade clowns that try to profit off content in lieu of a purpose in life - a la Tim trakker - that broadcast that.

Some brought it into the discussions here.

They were wrong to do so.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I was being sarcastic, but I vaguely remember they had some plushies and a few figurines. They even had some for the Ewoks cartoon, which didn't sell much from what I remember either.
The Kenner ewok toys from ROJ sold…they had gliders and catapults and stuff. The village was really cool. The Lego version of that will get you a lot of cash now too…

Not so much the cartoon shows…which were just a bad idea from a tired LFL at the time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That stuff was specifically tied-into the Return of the Jedi release.

Source: My younger brother and I had all those toys.
There were very brief offshoots from Kenner for the ewok and droid cartoons shows…but those didn’t get much traction

There’s a huge revisionist history about return of the Jedi that has grown over the years. It certainly wasn’t scoffed at when it was released. It was - in fact - the biggest movie ever at that time. Fans loved it…it sold product like gangbusters

For some reason…it had become a whipping boy in the years since. Revisionist. It felt like that was driven by the prequel era/fans that needed to make themselves feel better. Just my opinion.

erasure fan1

What was scoffed at was the constant calls for her to be fired at the time,
Well she did deserve to be fired in my opinion. I'm not sure why that's a scoff-able thing to say. I know I said as well, that I would support her on the business side of things as long as she had no creative control. The two could report to the head of studios or Iger. But they let her stay in position way to long just furthering the resentment for how she handled the brand. So after a certain point, the fans were never going to support her.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well she did deserve to be fired in my opinion. I'm not sure why that's a scoff-able thing to say. I know I said as well, that I would support her on the business side of things as long as she had no creative control. The two could report to the head of studios or Iger. But they let her stay in position way to long just furthering the resentment for how she handled the brand. So after a certain point, the fans were never going to support her.
…people are dismissed for poor performance every day of the year…

But for some reason….it was assumed this was mysoginist…part of the “5 Angry man” theory
No…they just failed Star Wars

Wouldn’t matter if it was a non-gender specific purple centaur with green horns…

It was failure.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It was scoffable in 2018 (time period that was being discussed) after the movies were making Billions, as she wasn't going to be fired with that performance no matter how people personally felt.

I'm not personally scoffing at your opinion today. I just think it makes no sense to fire her as her contract is almost up anyways.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was scoffable in 2018 (time period that was being discussed) after the movies were making Billions, as she wasn't going to be fired with that performance no matter how people personally felt.

I'm not personally scoffing at your opinion today. I just think it makes no sense to fire her as her contract is almost up anyways.
She won’t be fired

And you missed why it was brought up in 2018.

erasure fan1

I was opposed to the character assassination
A lot, not all, of the character stuff was because of how she ran lucasfilm in regards to the handling of fans and star wars in general. A lot of antagonistic behavior was, I can't say endorsed by her, but was allowed to go on under her watch. It's even still happening. We had a lucasfilm executive say something to the effect of, if we leave star wars to the middle aged white guy it will die. Why does it continue to happen? The whole fanboy tears thing and Pablo making fun of someone for getting emotional when Luke showed up in mando. There's plenty more examples as to why people went after her character.

As with most things online, there was some dirt bags taking it too far. But a very large amount of the criticism was warranted in my opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
“Character assassination” is also a difficult thing to pinpoint when you’re talking about people that put themselves in the public eye for huge financial compensation

But of course trolling goes way too far…

The problem is when those people dump on common fans…who buy their product and ultimately pay them.
Not cool either

Both things happened here

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom