SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

I’m didn’t bother to look this up, but didn’t that old show on Netflix “Suits” just become a big thing?

I think there are other examples similar to that.

I think Hollywood just doesn’t understand the audience.

People will watch long or short seasons.

The show itself has to be good, and Hollywood seems to struggle with that lately.

yeah that was a weird one, I actually watched all the seasons and man it was hard to get through. I think it was a hit lasat summer because that was Megan Markles show (the woman who married Prince Harry) But that also goes to show the advantage of streaming which is it doesn't matter if people watch it when it comes out or 5 years later because there is no ad revenue just subscritption numbers.

Trauma

So in this thread review scores don’t matter.

In the Inside Out 2 thread everyone is elated because of the good review scores.

I’m really excited to go see Inside Out 2 because it has GREAT reviews.

I don’t even know how that’s possible because the scores don’t matter !!!

1718398639848.gif

View attachment 791774
Beware the "cutesy-poo" lol. Tell us, are the RT review bombers in the room with us right now?
I mean RT even admitted their site gets review bombed https://www.inverse.com/article/53523-captain-marvel-rotten-tomatoes-review-bombing-explained

With the Acolyte it was really easy to see since it had thousands of user reviews a day before the first episdoe even aired. https://screenrant.com/star-wars-the-acolyte-rotten-tomatoes-metacritic-review-bombed/

I mean it's really easy to spot a movie that has been reviewbombed. Especially if it's Star Wars or comic book related. Just look at the accounts. It's always brand new accounts that review like a couple of movies the same day, usually A Star Wars movie or two, Captain Marvel and then one movie they actually like.

I mean who is now just watching TLJ and deciding to make an account on RT just to review TLJ and Captain marvel in 2024? This doesn't happen for any other type of movie except these "devisive" culture war movies.

In the Inside Out 2 thread everyone is elated because of the good review scores.

View attachment 791825
I mean... you could just see it because you are interested in it and then form your own opinion.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

View attachment 791825
There is a lot of nuance to the scores, on the whole I would say they are mostly meaningless (or at least should be) as they don't always reflect the reality of the general audience or how we personally feel about the reviewed content.

It does make me laugh when people complain about cringe lines and then defend the prequels
my favorite is when people say the bike gang in Book of Boba fett doesn't belong but say nothing about the 1950s diner in Attack of the Clones.

It's like have you not seen Star Wars before?

rd805

I didn't read much about this show before I watched it, and I'm only a casual fan of SW, but gosh, the Jedi are supposed to be the heroes. Flawed, but still the heroes.

The Jedi depicted here are creepy and stupid/incompetent.
This is actually one of the things i'm somewhat enjoying about this show. Not everyone is a fan of the Republic, not everyone is a fan of the Jedi. It shows that they became a little too powerful perhaps, and lacked the foresight overall for what happened next. Sortainteresting -- SORTA lol

Casper Gutman

There is a lot of nuance to the scores, on the whole I would say they are mostly meaningless (or at least should be) as they don't always reflect the reality of the general audience or how we personally feel about the reviewed content.
Also, there is a difference between professional critics reviews, folks who sign their name to their words and usually have editorial oversight, and an aggregate “fan” review score that can be easily manipulated. You have a non-professional critic you trust? Great. You trust a number that can be voted on by a collection of bots and folks who never saw the show or movie? You’re pushing a narrative.

erasure fan1

Unverified audience scores are useless… positive or negative… unless they can find away to verify the scores it is pointless
It's all fairly useless, that's really the point. Is there data you can take from it? Sure, but it's pretty limited. And a lot of that data can be speculative. It's also really not that hard to pick out the troll reviews. If you see a reviews like "this show is a plague on society" or "amazing talent absolutely revolutionary". And that's it, without any other details, you skip by and pay no mind to them. Personally I've never let an aggregate review site influence my decision to watch or pass on a piece of media. Also, realistically a 17 tomato score will probably help the show more than hurt it. If it was right down the middle, I think people just pass it on by. But a 17%? Oh man, we have to check this out and see what all the fuss is about.

erasure fan1

They fly now?

Some how Palpatine has returned.

I hate Sand its course and it gets everywhere

Good! Our first catch of the day!
Thank you, thats what I'm saying. There's zero point to try and defend this show, when it has some awful dialogue.
also the spice creams makes sense as that's absolutely a kid would say to their sister
Probably. But it make it any less lame. Just like Anakins "Yippee!!!". If it's lame it's lame. How the show ends will determine how people view it in the future.

erasure fan1

It does make me laugh when people complain about cringe lines and then defend the prequels
Why? I don't think I've ever heard someone on here defend the prequel dialogue. That's the one thing EVERYONE seems to agree on. I'll defend them from a story standpoint. I'll take the prequels story v.s. the disjointed choose your own adventure nonsense of the sequels. No one on here has ever defended "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." But I think you know that.

Screamface

"Are you an angel? I've heard the deep space pilots talk about them. They live on the moons of Iago... I think."
"You're a funny little boy."

I smile when I come across the bad dialogue.

None of this new stuff will age well because it's just lazy and soulless. It defies any logic to understand how poorly they keep running Lucasfilm. I can understand on some level how their lack of planning messed up the sequels, but the continued lack of understanding Star Wars and why it has fans to begin with is insane at this point. They were even bragging about hiring writers for this show who haven't seen Star Wars.

You can excuse some mistakes and mismanagement, but it's now at the point of sheer irrefutable incompetence and mismanagement.

CinematicFusion

Ultimately, the success of a show like Acolyte hinges on its viewership numbers. For a fair comparison, look at how it performs relative to other recent Star Wars series, such as Ahsoka.

If Acolyte can match or surpass the viewership of Ahsoka, it would be a strong indicator of its success, regardless of the mixed reviews. Comparing viewership metrics will provide a more objective measure of how well the show resonates with its audience.

Wendy Pleakley

An article that pretty much nails the obvious.

There is a group of toxic fans attacking this and other shows for all the wrong reasons.

It makes the online discourse toxic and even impacts how we view the show - you're going to be SO ANGRY at this week's episode!

A reminder that discussing the show online or with certain people isn't productive or beneficial.

Thank you, thats what I'm saying. There's zero point to try and defend this show, when it has some awful dialogue.

Probably. But it make it any less lame. Just like Anakins "Yippee!!!". If it's lame it's lame. How the show ends will determine how people view it in the future.
I'm sorry what? how was that your take from what I said

DKampy

Why? I don't think I've ever heard someone on here defend the prequel dialogue. That's the one thing EVERYONE seems to agree on. I'll defend them from a story standpoint. I'll take the prequels story v.s. the disjointed choose your own adventure nonsense of the sequels. No one on here has ever defended "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." But I think you know that.
Because people point out the cringy dialogue is the reason they dislike this show… but that for some reason did not ruin their enjoyment of the prequels

erasure fan1

There is a group of toxic fans attacking this and other shows for all the wrong reasons.
That's true. There are people focusing on the wrong things. Notice I didn't say fans. But that article? "the new live-action series is also one of the best additions to that galaxy far away in a long time" Come on, the best yet? As of now it's not anywhere near the top in my opinion. That's not to say it can't end up that way. But articles like this are just as big of a problem as the "toxic" articles in my opinion. It's just there to try and lump any real fans who aren't as optimistic about the show into the toxic bucket.

How about they talk about what they like about the show. Why they think it's so good. Talk about the plot, the acting, the music... There's NONE of that. Dill holes on the internet aren't ruining peoples enjoyment of star wars. And if they are, shame on them. Never has some random idiot online swayed my opinion on something. I like what I like, I make my own decisions. As should everyone. We have to stop giving the real toxic people such a voice. And calling an entire fandom hateful because they aren't happy with the first 3 episodes doesn't do anything to help the divide. Let's face it, this article was written for the same reason as the "Kennedy gets destroyed for obliterating star wars" headline. They know people are going to click on it to read how hateful star wars fans are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom