SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

I mean, studios care enough that when it benefits them, they include the RT score and quotes on posters and in ads.
do they? I don't think i've ever seen ad with a RT score in it. The question is does a RT score actually effect the performane of a show or movie. I'd say probably not seeing as plenty of RT bombs even with low user scores still go on to be huge hits.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s clear they hate the fans. Why have someone in charge of Star Wars that hates Star Wars fans ?
I think that may be an oversimplification?

I think they just have misread it from the jump. From the minute they approached Lucas until this moment. They obviously weren’t trying to have these kind of problems…

…but they just didn’t understand what they were getting into. Made the mistake of looking at Pixar and marvel and equated Disney as being the reason why those were successful…when it’s clear it was probably the opposite relationship

MickeyLuv'r

George did that with the PT. They make it kind of a big point that the jedi end all connections with their family from before.
First, I'm this thread is now discussing the show.

And I appreciate you bringing this up.

I might not be remembering how it was presented in the past, but it seems like previously it was more mentioned in passing, whereas last night it was more important to the plot.

CinematicFusion

I actually agree with you here, forget RT and see what the next 5 episodes brings us.
I agree. I’ll pick up on the show once it’s finished and see what people think then. I haven’t had a chance to watch episode 3, and my wife hasn’t seen episode 2 yet. So, it’s in viewership limbo and now on the back burner with some other shows we watch at night during our 1-2 hour window.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I actually agree with you here, forget RT and see what the next 5 episodes brings us.
Yeah…we can’t really be fair unless it’s in totality

That is the thing with “limited series”…each episode is too much of the chunk to separate them.

This ain’t Star Trek the next generation with 26 episodes a year where you could have throwaways (but rarely did…because that was one of the best written/acted character shows ever created)

It’s also a reason why this whole approach is probably the worse option for a lot of concepts including Star Wars

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
First, I'm this thread is now discussing the show.

And I appreciate you bringing this up.

I might not be remembering how it was presented in the past, but it seems like previously it was more mentioned in passing, whereas last night it was more important to the plot.
Well…just speaking of “canon”…

Yoda of course said “too old to begin the training…” in empire. Which set kids as the baseline

And George kinda mangled it in the prequels with Midichlorians/jake Lloyd/etc…

In retrospect…there has been the idea that had they made Anakin 15/16 in Ep 1…it would have provided more character, tension, and native conflict…and would have made those movies and the OT stronger

erasure fan1

This ain’t Star Trek the next generation with 26 episodes a year where you could have throwaways (but rarely did…because that was one of the best written/acted character shows ever created)
See, this is something I've been saying with D+ shows. People defend the shows with lets see how it plays out, it's just a couple episodes that are weak...

When your show has only 6 to 10 episodes at anywhere from 25 to 40min. You can't really afford to miss on a couple episodes. Especially at the beginning when you're trying to set the hook.

Everyone mostly understands that a 24+ episode season is going to have filler episodes. No one expects that from an 8 episode season. You have to make every episode count when it's short. And you especially have to stick the landing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
See, this is something I've been saying with D+ shows. People defend the shows with lets see how it plays out, it's just a couple episodes that are weak...

When your show has only 6 to 10 episodes at anywhere from 25 to 40min. You can't really afford to miss on a couple episodes. Especially at the beginning when you're trying to set the hook.

Everyone mostly understands that a 24+ episode season is going to have filler episodes. No one expects that from an 8 episode season. You have to make every episode count when it's short. And you especially have to stick the landing.

I think we’re both right (standard 🤪)

We can’t really judge something designed to be so episodic until the end…but the format is set up for failure.

The 5-10 episode format doesn’t work for all genre/IPs…

Isn’t that what we are all seeing with this one?…in the end?

Yeah…we can’t really be fair unless it’s in totality

That is the thing with “limited series”…each episode is too much of the chunk to separate them.

It’s also a reason why this whole approach is probably the worse option for a lot of concepts including Star Wars
listen I love TNG and I do miss episodic TV however.... TNG is far from the one of the best written and acted shows ever created. Sure it had it's gems but it also had a TON of just garbage even in the 90s it was bad. DS9 puts it to shame. But the issue with episodic shows like TNG is episodes don't have a lasting effect on the characters.

Take Chain of Command where Picard is kidnapped and tortured. This should have a lasting effect on him but after this story is over he is 100% ok. While shows like Acolyte, Andor and the such prevent people from just jumping in, it does lead to better storytelling overall and more complete characters

The bigger issue with Episodic shows like TNG is the filler episodes, those are what ended up killing series. They are directly responsible for the deaths of many shows. First off they kill the budget for bigger more interesting episodes and bad filler episodes lead to mass drop offs in viewership.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
listen I love TNG and I do miss episodic TV however.... TNG is far from the one of the best written and acted shows ever created. Sure it had it's gems but it also had a TON of just garbage even in the 90s it was bad. DS9 puts it to shame. But the issue with episodic shows like TNG is episodes don't have a lasting effect on the characters.

Take Chain of Command where Picard is kidnapped and tortured. This should have a lasting effect on him but after this story is over he is 100% ok. While shows like Acolyte, Andor and the such prevent people from just jumping in, it does lead to better storytelling overall and more complete characters

The bigger issue with Episodic shows like TNG is the filler episodes, those are what ended up killing series. They are directly responsible for the deaths of many shows. First off they kill the budget for bigger more interesting episodes and bad filler episodes lead to mass drop offs in viewership.
Listen…

You’re wrong here. Go ahead and look at the themes and subjects broached on TNG and DS9 from 1987-1999…

It was cutting edge.

And I’m not a Trekkie…I couldn’t care less about shatner…
But you really need to do a little study here.

Please don’t now defend Disney wrecking Star Wars (they have…spectacularly)??…I was starting to like you and I don’t want to have to apply the “2 strike rule”

You can take a 3-4 episode chunk from either of those shows and it will provide more overall narrative and character depth than all these Disney series combined.

erasure fan1

The bigger issue with Episodic shows like TNG is the filler episodes, those are what ended up killing series.
Agreed. Filler episodes are why I all but gave up on long form shows. But what's worse than filler episodes in a network series that's 24+ episodes? Filler episodes in a show that's 10 or less episodes. And amazingly the Disney plus star wars shows all have one or two. Mando season one and two were the most consistent. We've got 5 episodes left, hopefully the quality gets to where it needs to be.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. Filler episodes are why I all but gave up on long form shows. But what's worse than filler episodes in a network series that's 24+ episodes? Filler episodes in a show that's 10 or less episodes. And amazingly the Disney plus star wars shows all have one or two. Mando season one and two were the most consistent. We've got 5 episodes left, hopefully the quality gets to where it needs to be.
I’m sad to say Ahsoka had 4-5 🤷🏻‍♂️

Listen…

You’re wrong here. Go ahead and look at the themes and subjects broached on TNG and DS9 from 1987-1999…

It was cutting edge.

And I’m not a Trekkie…I couldn’t care less about shatner…
But you really need to do a little study here.

Please don’t now defend Disney wrecking Star Wars (they have…spectacularly)??…I was starting to like you and I don’t want to have to apply the “2 strike rule”

You can take a 3-4 episode chunk from either of those shows and it will provide more overall narrative and character depth than all these Disney series combined.
did you not read a word I said?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
did you not read a word I said?
I did…

And you can’t really prop DS9 (my personal favorite) and disregard what allowed them to get there

By the way…here’s an interesting list…

And shows a common theme: most are long format.

Tv works better in long format. For Sci-fi? Without a doubt.

I did…

And you can’t really prop DS9 (my personal favorite) and disregard what allowed them to get there

By the way…here’s an interesting list…

And shows a common theme: most are long format.

Tv works better in long format. For Sci-fi? Without a doubt.

yes you can... your comment was TNG is one of the best written and best acted shows of all time. That's just not true.

Also.. why would you pick a list that proves you wrong? It also puts The Leftovers as better then TNG

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
yes you can... your comment was TNG is one of the best written and best acted shows of all time. That's just not true.

Also.. why would you pick a list that proves you wrong? It also puts The Leftovers as better then TNG
It’s an opinion survey…it doesn’t “prove” anything wrong.

It has DS9 as 50 (too low), TNG at 19 (bout right) and BSG at 12 (also right)

You do understand what I’m getting at here? That long format just gives a better chance at complete story telling? Not always…but in the wash.

For Star Wars? They’re stuck in no man’s land. Either go long format or keep it a movie franchise. Just my opinion that seems to be bearing out

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom