SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

erasure fan1

For myself, so far, it seems clunky. The third episode in particular has numerous, "Huh? That doesn't really make sense" moments. I also don't think the show has a good hook yet.
Agreed. Next weeks the halfway mark and at this point the hype should be all over the place. That's why I say Disney has an issue with their D+ shows. We shouldn't be hoping the halfway mark is the "all right! Now it's going to kick into high gear!" moment.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

That was the consensus earlier before the virtue signaling portion of the day starter
not quite sure what you mean by that....

and i am probably going to regret opening this can of worms, because the movies portion of this forum does have a good deal of thinly veiled political back and forth. It is very unfortunate.

Regrettably, Disney has gotten a bit political in the last few years. In some ways, their hand was forced, but it is still regrettable in the sense that Disney used to = apple pie. Like the very old ad campaign, "Baseball, apple pie, hot dogs and Chevrolet." Disney used to be as All-American as apple pie. Disney told stories that - mostly - united people.

I know....it wasn't perfect apple pie. But people used to look for the good and the commonality when watching cartoons, movies and theme parks. We could all look at a male mouse and relate to the funny things that happened to him. In 1977, Star Wars had an amazing ability to unite people. We were a culture that believed in heroes.

Nowadays, people watch all media with a more divisive mindset. We no longer have common heroes. We have a sad tribalism, and are frequently looking for reasons to turn on each other - based more on politics than the actual characters/content of any movie or theme park ride.

On the other hand, this show is lacking. Disney seems a bit lost these days. They seem to have forgotten how to tell a good story. They seem to have forgotten that a good story and strong characters unites people. Like they no longer WANT to be apple pie and heroes.

I didn't read much about this show before I watched it, and I'm only a casual fan of SW, but gosh, the Jedi are supposed to be the heroes. Flawed, but still the heroes.

The Jedi depicted here are creepy and stupid/incompetent.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
not quite sure what you mean by that....

and i am probably going to regret opening this can of worms, because the movies portion of this forum does have a good deal of thinly veiled political back and forth. It is very unfortunate.

Regrettably, Disney has gotten a bit political in the last few years. In some ways, their hand was forced, but it is still regrettable in the sense that Disney used to = apple pie. Like the very old ad campaign, "Baseball, apple pie, hot dogs and Chevrolet." Disney used to be as All-American as apple pie. Disney told stories that - mostly - united people.

I know....it wasn't perfect apple pie. But people used to look for the good and the commonality when watching cartoons, movies and theme parks. We could all look at a male mouse and relate to the funny things that happened to him. In 1977, Star Wars had an amazing ability to unite people. We were a culture that believed in heroes.

Nowadays, people watch all media with a more divisive mindset. We no longer have common heroes. We have a sad tribalism, and are frequently looking for reasons to turn on each other - based more on politics than the actual characters/content of any movie or theme park ride.

On the other hand, this show is lacking. Disney seems a bit lost these days. They seem to have forgotten how to tell a good story. They seem to have forgotten that a good story and strong characters unites people. Like they no longer WANT to be apple pie and heroes.

I didn't read much about this show before I watched it, and I'm only a casual fan of SW, but gosh, the Jedi are supposed to be the heroes. Flawed, but still the heroes.

I was just saying the consensus of the show seems to align with your opinion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. Next weeks the halfway mark and at this point the hype should be all over the place. That's why I say Disney has an issue with their D+ shows. We shouldn't be hoping the halfway mark is the "all right! Now it's going to kick into high gear!" moment.
I honestly can’t figure out the “thought process” at work in these?

What happened to: someone sits down and figures out the story…BEFORE you shoot anything?

This is a lot like the movies…there is no consistency whatsoever. And I think a lot of the problem is the same…this idea you needs a whole truckload of writers and directors with no central directives.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I'll put it in a spoiler tag in case some don't want to see it.

"Lesbian space witch virgin birth" that is somehow suppose to destroy what made Anakin special.
Yeah, I didn't understand why witches as a notion themselves would be an issue. Was there a big deal made about the witches in Ahsoka? Although they were very Macbeth/Fates.

Anywho - I thought the song and dance bit by the witches was cheesy, but hey, it's Star Wars. The same Star Wars with Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks. So...

I thought Lee Jung-jae was very appealing in this episode and is probably playing the most interesting character in this thus far for me - Wookiee Jedi aside who we really haven't seen much of.

Otherwise I thought the episode was fine - not great, but just in that same mid-pack way watchable and I'm still looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah, I didn't understand why witches as a notion themselves would be an issue. Was there a big deal made about the witches in Ahsoka? Although they were very Macbeth/Fates.

Anywho - I thought the song and dance bit by the witches was cheesy, but hey, it's Star Wars. The same Star Wars with Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks. So...

I thought Lee Jung-jae was very appealing in this episode and is probably playing the most interesting character in this thus far for me - Wookiee Jedi aside who we really haven't seen much of.

Otherwise I thought the episode was fine - not great, but just in that same mid-pack way watchable and I'm still looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Its wasn't that they were witches themselves being the issue.

BrianLo

It has never really been that way. The Jedi order in the end was highly flawed and that’s what lead to its fall. This was fairly poorly told in Episode 1-3, but is much better expressed in the Clone Wars. It’s more a fraying institution filled with some very heroic people. It’s also why villany is not always truly black either, otherwise Darth Vader could not have his redemption.

I highly, highly suspect our living core cast is heroic. Including Sol. It’s a misdirect because we don’t have the full picture on the mystery.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It has never really been that way. The Jedi order in the end was highly flawed and that’s what lead to its fall. This was fairly poorly told in Episode 1-3, but is much better expressed in the Clone Wars. It’s more a fraying institution filled with some very heroic people. It’s also why villany is not always truly black either, otherwise Darth Vader could not have his redemption.

I highly, highly suspect our living core cast is heroic. Including Sol. It’s a misdirect because we don’t have the full picture on the mystery.
Still…
They’ve played the Jedi backstory all wrong IMHO…

They portrayed them as political schemers…when they could have been portrayed as obselete and/or going down fighting a noble cause.

I think that was the gravitas that was supposed to happen that mcgreggor didn’t deliver. Cause George…does George stuff.

It would have strengthened the Vader/palpatine story.

But whatever

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Jedi = organized religion in many of the newish creators’ views, so we know how they’re going to go with that.
This isn't some new take only now being seen by the new creators, its been said for nearly 50 years that the Jedi Order is basically an organized religion. George modeled the Jedi Order after many of the worlds religions such as those based on Christianity and spiritual followings including Buddhism and Taoism, and to a certain extent I would say the Bene Gesserit from Dune (who are certainly religious). Its why both the OT and PT is steeped in heavy religious iconography.

Many articles on the subject over the years, including interviews with George himself on the topic -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Indara saves the barkeep's life at the risk of letting her guard down which costs her her life. Indara also holds her own against a weapon bearing force-user.

Sol is shown to be a caring empathetic father figure to Osha, giving her the benefit of the doubt when others wouldn't. His paduan is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt instead of fighting him on things like Yord does.

Tobin is emotional scarred and racked with guilt over... something we haven't seen yet.

I don't know how one can call "the Jedi" as a group as being creepy and stupid/incompetent after seeing what we've seen such far.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This isn't some new take only now being seen by the new creators, its been said for nearly 50 years that the Jedi Order is basically an organized religion. George modeled the Jedi Order after many of the worlds religions such as those based on Christianity and spiritual followings including Buddhism and Taoism, and to a certain extent I would say the Bene Gesserit from Dune (who are certainly religious). Its why both the OT and PT is steeped in heavy religious iconography.

Many articles on the subject over the years, including interviews with George himself on the topic -

That wasn’t their point

The point was that discussion of religions is gonna be treated differently in 2024 regardless…

A point I would usually concede but reject in this case

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Indeed, from George Lucas's hand in A New Hope.....
Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebel's hidden fort...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That wasn’t their point

The point was that discussion of religions is gonna be treated differently in 2024 regardless…

A point I would usually concede but reject in this case
And my point was its not a new take, its always been seen as an organized religion as endowed by its creator (pun intended). Its been a discussion for as long as I can remember that the Jedi (and Sith) come across in many ways as religious zealots and not always in a good way. So again its not a new take, even when viewed through 2024 eyes.

MickeyLuv'r

Indara saves the barkeep's life at the risk of letting her guard down which costs her her life. Indara also holds her own against a weapon bearing force-user.

Sol is shown to be a caring empathetic father figure to Osha, giving her the benefit of the doubt when others wouldn't. His paduan is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt instead of fighting him on things like Yord does.

Tobin is emotional scarred and racked with guilt over... something we haven't seen yet.

I don't know how one can call "the Jedi" as a group as being creepy and stupid/incompetent after seeing what we've seen such far.
It was also played up that the Jedi take children away from their families forever.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And my point was its not a new take, its always been seen as an organized religion as endowed by its creator (pun intended). Its been a discussion for as long as I can remember that the Jedi (and Sith) come across in many ways as religious zealots and not always in a good way. So again its not a new take, even when viewed through 2024 eyes.
Well we can see if the poster responds…but I don’t believe that was their point

It’s about how entertainment would portray it now…not that jedi has changed since 1977

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's the whole good is evil. Evil is good thing.
bd1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom