SPLITSVILLE

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Given how dense the parks are and not very park-like, something like fantasia gardens or the lush entrance pedestrian boulevards connecting hong kong disneyland's hotels with the park would be nice in that area. I've never liked downtown disney there either. Disney released some more information about the new hotel today though and despite going in downtown disney, it will actually have the unexpected effect of connecting all the disneyland resort hotels with greenspace. No more visible surface parking between grand californian, disneyland hotel, and paradise pier. Eager to see how truthful that is.

I'd like to see the western entrance moved into the new hotel. This would be similar to how you enter through the middle of the Disney Hotel at DLP. That would open the whole esplanade (once the Eastern Gateway is resolved) as open for expansion. West side could go for DL while the east can go to DCA, or vice-versa. Its a pipe-dream I know, but still a good one I think.

SSG

Original Poster
Not Splitsville but nearby:

The new Disney Home shop is officially open in #DowntownDisney! Stop by and see what #Disney flair can be added to your in-home style!
DWBdX36XcAAq_K1.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Splitsville will do fine as long as the food is decent and the beer is cold. I look at it as filling the sport's bar niche at DLR, which will be needed once ESPN Zone leaves.

Don't forget you have Ballast Point and Black Tap opening, so that brewery/sport's bar niche is already being filled.

westie

I'm actually excited about Home. My Disney dishes are wearing out and the black design ones they've been pushing for the last 2 years don't peak my interest.

TP2000

Earlier this week I finally went to Splitsville. And I lived to tell about it. Here is my review...

As I had feared, Splitsville is like a TGIFridays on a good day. With bowling. And higher prices. Their goodwill ambassador Guy was nowhere to be found.

My doctor says I'm not overweight but I need to walk more. So now I walk, and this day I decided to walk around Disneyland and Downtown Disney. On my walk back to the car I had an early dinner at 4:00pm at Splitsville. You walk in and a perky hostess asks how many, I say "one, please" and after determining I'd like to sit outside on this balmy 74 degree February afternoon in Southern California, she tells me I can sit anywhere I want out on the bar patio. I grab a table near the bar and settle in. An even perkier waitress stops by within moments for my drink order, and I ask for a Coke Zero and an ice water. She brings me a menu.

As I look at the menu, it's apparent they have an eclectic palate that can best be described as 21st century bar food. Lots of sliders and sandwiches and an entire page devoted to what they call "sushi". I take the plunge and order an Ahi tuna avocado appetizer, and a "California Crunch Roll". I settle in and notice the place is lightly populated with youngsters of the clearly SoCal AP variety; with Rose Gold mouse ears and trendy hair and hip date outfits all over the place. Not many tourists, mostly locals. I am dismayed to see they only have low sodium soy sauce and French's ketchup on the table. Plus some cheap chopsticks like you'd get at a grocery story sushi bar and a very sad napkin rolled tightly around a fork and knife. Really? Those are your chosen condiments for this crowd? Uh-oh.

IMG_2190.JPG

I watch the Olypmics on the many TV's above the bar, and notice their liquor selection is skimpy and noticeably low brow and seems to be very dependent on high fructose corn syrup and chemical colorings to make what they think are "cocktails". Like something a 20 year old sorority girl would drink, but that no adult who doesn't hang out at TGIFridays would ever be caught dead having. Then the food arrives, and it looks.... suspicious.

splitsvillesushi.jpg

It looks okay I guess, but something about it looks faux. They have no shame in labeling their sushi menu with Krab with a K, but the sauces and orange sriracha stuff oozed on top somehow makes it look fake. Or sugary. Or cheap. I begin to dig in with my very cheap set of chopsticks I was provided. The Ahi avocado thing was 21 bucks, and the California Crunch Roll was 17 bucks. The wasabi served with it is dry as a bone and crumbles into dust when you touch it. The ginger is limp and hasn't been fresh for days. The plates are plastic and very lightweight, which doesn't help establish trust, nor does it help maintain a chilled temperature on an outdoor patio.

And then I make the mistake of trying to eat these items. And they literally fall apart as you touch them. The roll is rolled so poorly, and with such lack of skill and artistry, that the interior literally crumbles apart and falls out with each light touch of a chopstick to it. The rice is gummy instead of sticky. There is a difference, and apparently Splitsville doesn't know that. The Ahi's avocado halves were bruised and browned, which at the height of avocado season in February isn't a good sign.

Seriously, nearly every piece of this roll fell apart like this every time you touched it. Someone clearly doesn't know how to roll sushi, or why.

splitsville.jpg

And the taste? It ranged somewhere above bad airport sushi but not surpassing decent supermarket sushi. But at a price point slightly higher than truly good and fresh sushi you get at a real sushi restaurant. The rice was gummy. The seaweed was tasteless. The ingredients were refrigerated but not fresh.

I have no idea who they have back behind the bowling alley making the sushi, but they apparently don't know Japan is a real country. This type of thing could seriously damage the important diplomatic relationship between Japan and the United States.

In short, I won't be back. The staff was perky and reasonably efficient. The interior design was pleasant if uninspired. The patio was nicely shaded and yet removed so much that you couldn't really people watch Downtown Disney's passing scene. No one was bowling on any of the lanes. But the food, at least the sushi, was an abomination at that price point.

God only knows what they are thinking at Splitsville corporate headquarters. Maybe the state of sushi and food preparation really is this abysmal in the Sunshine State of Florida? I won't need to return to find out if they learn a lesson here, but I don't think they judged the SoCal marketplace correctly.

Last edited:

SSG

Original Poster
Earlier this week I finally went to Splitsville. And I lived to tell about it. Here is my review...

As I had feared, Splitsville is like a TGIFridays on a good day. With bowling. And higher prices. Their goodwill ambassador Guy was nowhere to be found.

My doctor says I'm not overweight but I need to walk more. So now I walk, and this day I decided to walk around Disneyland and Downtown Disney. On my walk back to the car I had an early dinner at 4:00pm at Splitsville. You walk in and a perky hostess asks how many, I say "one, please" and after determining I'd like to sit outside on this balmy 74 degree February afternoon in Southern California, she tells me I can sit anywhere I want out on the bar patio. I grab a table near the bar and settle in. An even perkier waitress stops by within moments for my drink order, and I ask for a Coke Zero and an ice water. She brings me a menu.

As I look at the menu, it's apparent they have an eclectic palate that can best be described as 21st century bar food. Lots of sliders and sandwiches and an entire page devoted to what they call "sushi". I take the plunge and order an Ahi tuna avocado appetizer, and a "California Crunch Roll". I settle in and notice the place is lightly populated with youngsters of the clearly SoCal AP variety; with Rose Gold mouse ears and trendy hair and hip date outfits all over the place. Not many tourists, mostly locals. I am dismayed to see they only have low sodium soy sauce and French's ketchup on the table. Plus some cheap chopsticks like you'd get at a grocery story sushi bar and a very sad napkin rolled tightly around a fork and knife. Really? Those are your chosen condiments for this crowd? Uh-oh.

View attachment 264690

I watch the Olypmics on the many TV's above the bar, and notice their liquor selection is skimpy and noticeably low brow and seems to be very dependent on high fructose corn syrup and chemical colorings to make what they think are "cocktails". Like something a 20 year old sorority girl would drink, but that no adult who doesn't hang out at TGIFridays would ever be caught dead having. Then the food arrives, and it looks.... suspicious.

View attachment 264691

It looks okay I guess, but something about it looks faux. They have no shame in labeling their sushi menu with Krab with a K, but the sauces and orange sriracha stuff oozed on top somehow makes it look fake. Or sugary. Or cheap. I begin to dig in with my very cheap set of chopsticks I was provided. The Ahi avocado thing was 21 bucks, and the California Crunch Roll was 17 bucks. The wasabi served with it is dry as a bone and crumbles into dust when you touch it. The ginger is limp and hasn't been fresh for days. The plates are plastic and very lightweight, which doesn't help establish trust, nor does it help maintain a chilled temperature on an outdoor patio.

And then I make the mistake of trying to eat these items. And they literally fall apart as you touch them. The roll is rolled so poorly, and with such lack of skill and artistry, that the interior literally crumbles apart and falls out with each light touch of a chopstick to it. The rice is gummy instead of sticky. There is a difference, and apparently Splitsville doesn't know that. The Ahi's avocado halves were bruised and browned, which at the height of avocado season in February isn't a good sign.

Seriously, nearly every piece of this roll fell apart like this every time you touched it. Someone clearly doesn't know how to roll sushi, or why.

View attachment 264692

And the taste? It ranged somewhere above bad airport sushi but not surpassing decent supermarket sushi. But at a price point slightly higher than truly good and fresh sushi you get at a real sushi restaurant. The rice was gummy. The seaweed was tasteless. The ingredients were refrigerated but not fresh.

I have no idea who they have back behind the bowling alley making the sushi, but they apparently don't know Japan is a real country. This type of thing could seriously damage the important diplomatic relationship between Japan and the United States.

In short, I won't be back. The staff was perky and reasonably efficient. The interior design was pleasant if uninspired. The patio was nicely shaded and yet removed so much that you couldn't really people watch Downtown Disney's passing scene. No one was bowling on any of the lanes. But the food, at least the sushi, was an abomination at that price point.

God only knows what they are thinking at Splitsville corporate headquarters. Maybe the state of sushi and food preparation really is this abysmal in the Sunshine State of Florida? I won't need to return to find out if they learn a lesson here, but I don't think they judged the SoCal marketplace correctly.
I find it hard to believe that sushi from a bowling alley is sub-optimal.

disneyC97

View attachment 264690

View attachment 264691

View attachment 264692

Blech! Sounds awful.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The prices are steep compared to the Orlando location... which is $14 discounted... and peaks at $20

But the sushi being average.. and the game pricing being high... these should not be any suprises.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I too made it to Splitsville over the weekend (Friday Night). Here's what happened...

After a nearly 3 hour drive from home to the parks, my gf and I were starving. Rather than find something in the parks, I got the urge to try Splitsville, completing my long-held fantasy of eating sushi, and immediately riding Haunted Mansion.

We arrived at 6:30 and were told to check in at the host-station. It looked decently packed, but to our delight, the hostess told us a table for 2 would take 10-15 minutes. They have a system of texting you when your table is ready, so we walked over to the Disney Home store to wait (Sidebar...THAT place was packed...and not worth trying to navigate).
We ended up watching a magician out front near the fountain. The "your table is ready" text actually came in only 5 minutes.

We returned and were seated at a table outside (our choice). I had the misfortune of choosing the side that faced Tortilla Joe's, but whatever. They had a live two-man band playing cover songs, so the overall ambience was enjoyable.

As for the food...haha well, I'll kind of echo TP2000 here. We both wanted sushi, but my lady is disabled in the gluten department. Thankfully they have gluten-free options and we both put our orders in. Like most Disney restaurants, if you tell them you have an allergy, the chef or someone from management will come out and talk to you to assure you that they handle everything properly. So that's what happened here.

I got my roll (pictured below) fairly promptly, but the other order didn't come...and didn't come...
The manager came by to check on us twice, each time concerned that she still hadn't gotten her food. He assured us it was coming. Almost 20 minutes after I received my food, her's was brought out and we were told there was a problem putting it in the system...yada yada yada. Because I'm a nice guy, I had waited to start eating, but by then, my roll had reached "cold" status. Nothing is worse than cold tempura shrimp. Or should I say, "onion ring batter" shrimp. Seriously. I've had tempura in a lot of sushi places, and it has never reminded me of an onion ring. Alas, we pressed on.

I do think the sushi is overpriced for the quality you get. My roll fell apart numerous times, and not due to my inability to use chopsticks. The manager came out at another point to check on us and told us that they filet their salmon on premises, and that everything else is as fresh as possible. Neat! But overall, I've gotten better-quality sushi from Vons and Ralphs. I know I'm paying for location more than anything, so as a one-time trial, it served its purpose.

I will say this though...when the bill came, we were only charged for my roll and our drinks. We checked with the waitress to make sure that was correct and she came back saying that yes, it was and the manager picked up the other roll.

All in all, we got our meal for under $30 bucks.

Not entirely sure I'll be back, but if I do, I'll be trying their burgers instead.

Oh, and one last thing...for some reason, a good amount of their rolls had cream cheese as an ingredient. I opted for my roll without it, and can't honestly understand why that's even a thing...Cream cheese and fish only go together on a bagel.

IMG_4948.JPG

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom