News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

OrlandoRising

The average guest in Disney's U.S. parks has never visited Tokyo Disneyland and likely will never visit. The fact that Splash exists in its original form there will be nothing more than an interesting fact, not any cause for concern with the new ride, same as it has been with other attractions that exist in original or plussed versions overseas that aren't available in the U.S.

TwilightZone

Tiana Mountain's location is far less egregious than anything in EPCOT, Hollywood Studios, Tomorrowland....
There's a lot of IP based rides and attractions that need to be questioned first before tackling on whether Princess and the Frog fits Frontierland (after some thinking I'd say yes, but that's just my opinion).

solidyne

Tiana Mountain's location is far less egregious than anything in EPCOT, Hollywood Studios, Tomorrowland....
There's a lot of IP based rides and attractions that need to be questioned first before tackling on whether Princess and the Frog fits Frontierland (after some thinking I'd say yes, but that's just my opinion).
I think the arrangement of Liberty Square and Adventureland is seen as sacred because they were designed as a timeline of sorts. There definitely are plenty of mismatches in other lands, as you point out, but those are different kinds of messes.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think the arrangement of Liberty Square and Adventureland is seen as sacred because they were designed as a timeline of sorts.
It's "seen as" sacred because most guests don't question the "story" imposed on the land and either turn a blind eye towards or are ignorant of the anachronisms. (Just like so many bought into the idea that Haunted Mansion has a coherent narrative, which it most certainly doesn't.)

As mentioned above, the colonial-time land has: a Gothic Mansion, a Mississippi Riverboat and port, and a Western saloon (Diamond Horseshoe). Not to mention a Christmas shop which has no colonial Christmas items since the colonialists really didn't celebrate Christmas in any way like we do today).

And Frontierland has Southern bears singing 20th mid-century songs, and a Splash Mountain with a Frankensteinian fusion of Southern and Wild West themes, and a Mississippi Riverboat.

Do CMs giving tours still try to sell a small band of brown concrete as the Mississippi River separating the East from the West, while, at the same time, they claim the brown concrete is also open-air sewage and there's already a Mississippi River and Riverboat right next to them?

Anyhoo, all these inconsistencies don't matter much to me... until someone objects to PatF because *that* is what will introduce an inconsistency. Yes, there should be no inconsistencies, but until WDW/WDI wants to address the pre-existing ones with a major overhaul of the lands... what's trading out one inconsistency for another?

solidyne

It's "seen as" sacred because most guests don't question the "story" imposed on the land and either turn a blind eye towards or are ignorant of the anachronisms. (Just like so many bought into the idea that Haunted Mansion has a coherent narrative, which it most certainly doesn't.)

As mentioned above, the colonial-time land has: a Gothic Mansion, a Mississippi Riverboat and port, and a Western saloon (Diamond Horseshoe). Not to mention a Christmas shop which has no colonial Christmas items since the colonialists really didn't celebrate Christmas in any way like we do today).

And Frontierland has Southern bears singing 20th mid-century songs, and a Splash Mountain with a Frankensteinian fusion of Southern and Wild West themes, and a Mississippi Riverboat.

Do CMs giving tours still try to sell a small band of brown concrete as the Mississippi River separating the East from the West, while, at the same time, they claim the brown concrete is also open-air sewage and there's already a Mississippi River and Riverboat right next to them?

Anyhoo, all these inconsistencies don't matter much to me... until someone objects to PatF because *that* is what will introduce an inconsistency. Yes, there should be no inconsistencies, but until WDW/WDI wants to address the pre-existing ones with a major overhaul of the lands... what's trading out one inconsistency for another?
I'm with you. That's why I wrote "seen as," attempting to detach myself from that opinion. I also simply was pointing out that inconsistencies in timeline are different from inconsistencies in theme, in IP, or in whatever else people are complaining about.

I complain about a lot, but this is not high on my list.

Poseidon Quest

Theming wise, I would definitely consider New Orleans and the Mississippi closer to the "frontier" than Georgia ever was. I suppose the idea of the frontier is subjective though, as the earliest Americans would have considered it to be anything west of the Appalachians, rather than the typical association today of American prairies and deserts made popular by the film genre. If Tom Sawyer Island fits and no one questions it, then there's really no problem with New Orleans.

However, I think there is something to be said about its aesthetic not fitting into Frontierland, which is definitely shooting for the old and dusty western aesthetic. As already discussed, Splash Mountain was obviously made to fit in aesthetically there. My concerns come from Disney's current lack of ability to create compelling attractions or theming. I suppose New Orleans could fit if they "westernized" it in the same way that Splash Mountain was, but I know that likely won't be the case. This retheme will undoubtedly be some half-baked, unfulfilling experience done of the cheap that feels aesthetically out of place. I have zero confidence in Disney leadership or Imagineering to create a meaningful attraction that feels like a worthy, thematic successor because they've shown that they just don't care anymore.

Jrb1979

Theming wise, I would definitely consider New Orleans and the Mississippi closer to the "frontier" than Georgia ever was. I suppose the idea of the frontier is subjective though, as the earliest Americans would have considered it to be anything west of the Appalachians, rather than the typical association today of American prairies and deserts made popular by the film genre. If Tom Sawyer Island fits and no one questions it, then there's really no problem with New Orleans.

However, I think there is something to be said about its aesthetic not fitting into Frontierland, which is definitely shooting for the old and dusty western aesthetic. As already discussed, Splash Mountain was obviously made to fit in aesthetically there. My concerns come from Disney's current lack of ability to create compelling attractions or theming. I suppose New Orleans could fit if they "westernized" it in the same way that Splash Mountain was, but I know that likely won't be the case. This retheme will undoubtedly be some half-baked, unfulfilling experience done of the cheap that feels aesthetically out of place. I have zero confidence in Disney leadership or Imagineering to create a meaningful attraction that feels like a worthy, thematic successor because they've shown that they just don't care anymore.
People should watch your video on Europa Park to see what Disney should be like.

Artemicon

The ride being replaced is no different, in terms of placement.

Main Street and Liberty Square are way more far-fetched.
I disagree based on theming New-Orleans vs the wild west. It makes more sense in a thematic way to include it in Main Street USA than any other section of the park when you consider that MSUSA is literally early 20th century small town theming versus the 19th century wild west.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghost93

I feel like Frontierland will either be completely rethemed to New Orleans or significant chunks of Frontierland will be completely rethemed. I think the replacement of Splash Mountain with Tiana's Bayou Adventure is just the first step.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom