News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyHead123

I do agree.

I can already picture sailing under hanging vines, fireflies flickering, etc.

Could be GORGEOUS.

I sometimes ponder what the difference between a ride like Pirates and a ride like Frozen is, exactly. Like what specific design elements make one so immersive and one kind of "this is nice, but I'm kind of just floating by a lot of characters - hi characters!".

I think making the design a bit more 360, with vines on the ceiling and such, would definitely be a start towards increased immersion and atmosphere. I also hope the storyline is paced a bit - I think some of the best rides have an emotional arc, a bit of a buildup and payoff, not just a "Let's get in all the IP we can back to back!!" feel. Sometimes the best moments are those with barely anything going on but a few eery sound effects, where you're waiting for the action to begin.

drizgirl

I sometimes ponder what the difference between a ride like Pirates and a ride like Frozen is, exactly. Like what specific design elements make one so immersive and one kind of "this is nice, but I'm kind of just floating by a lot of characters - hi characters!".

I think making the design a bit more 360, with vines on the ceiling and such, would definitely be a start towards increased immersion and atmosphere. I also hope the storyline is paced a bit - I think some of the best rides have an emotional arc, a bit of a buildup and payoff, not just a "Let's get in all the IP we can back to back!!" feel. Sometimes the best moments are those with barely anything going on but a few eery sound effects, where you're waiting for the action to begin.
But there actually has to BE action. We know there will be a drop at least. I just need to see what they do with all that space before and after the drop.

Haymarket2008

I know it's possibly not going to happen, but if they kept the Bluegrass instrumentation for WDW, that would probably get me to 90% over the loss of Splash. Imagine after you plunge down, you hear "Dig a Little Deeper" on a fiddle instead of Zip. Then they add the vocals and choir in the finale.

I think, out of all the new scenes going to be added, the finale of this attraction is going to be spectacular. They're almost certainly keeping the river boat, add in a whole lot of fireflies, animatronics and Dig a Little Deeper playing? I'm already a fan.

As someone who is understanding yet mourning the loss of Splash Mountain, this new experience has a LOT to offer. As well as a lot of opportunity to keep the essence of what was there previously.

Pancho

Navi River Ride is gorgeous. And it's boring.

This all comes down to whether Disney cheaps out.
not only is it boring, I don't get how people are saying the screen usage on that attraction is done right. the screens in there are jarring and pull you out of the experience. especially that first one with the warrior and the partial arm sticking out holding the staff. it's awful.
overall, it can be a relaxing experience. but only if the line is short.

Kirby86

I hated every single character. And the look of the film is abysmal⁠—it's the ugliest thing Disney has ever produced. The only part I remotely enjoyed was the alien scene at the end.
Yeah that was Disney's first or second foray into CG animation so I'll give them slack on it not looking great. I haven't seen the movie in years but I remember liking it enough not enough to rewatch it but as a kid i liked it I guess. As for the mean spiritedness I think they were chasing the Shrek humor without getting what made Shrek funny.

Jrb1979

My only real gripe with this and it goes with every new attraction Disney announces is how early in the design phase they announce them. They need to follow how other parks do it. Universal didn't announce Velicoaster til it was well into construction. Disney should have done the same with this. What would have been amazing had they done like Cedar Fair does. Once the wall goes up for construction put up teaser posters for to get excitement for the ride. When it's a year out from being opened then announce it.

drizgirl

My only real gripe with this and it goes with every new attraction Disney announces is how early in the design phase they announce them. They need to follow how other parks do it. Universal didn't announce Velicoaster til it was well into construction. Disney should have done the same with this. What would have been amazing had they done like Cedar Fair does. Once the wall goes up for construction put up teaser posters for to get excitement for the ride. When it's a year out from being opened then announce it.
This announcement had other non-operational considerations influencing the timing of the announcement.

UNCgolf

not only is it boring, I don't get how people are saying the screen usage on that attraction is done right. the screens in there are jarring and pull you out of the experience. especially that first one with the warrior and the partial arm sticking out holding the staff. it's awful.
overall, it can be a relaxing experience. but only if the line is short.

I don't even think it's boring, but the reason screen usage is done right there is that the screens complement the physical sets and add depth/additional movement. They don't replace or overwhelm physical sets -- it's why the ride is so immersive compared to some other recent Disney attractions.

Pancho

It’s the one and only animated Disney film I have no desire ever to rewatch. Charmless drivel in my opinion, but I’m glad you enjoyed it!
I find the humor super funny. Love Runt. he cracks me up. Sam with Fish out of water. I also enjoy the Emperor's new groove quite a bit. was surprised that that is not more well received. but to each his own!

Pancho

I don't even think it's boring, but the reason screen usage is done right there is that the screens complement the physical sets and add depth/additional movement. They don't replace or overwhelm physical sets -- it's why the ride is so immersive compared to some other recent Disney attractions.
maybe it's just me, but I don't feel the screens complement anything. they stand out like a sore thumb. I'm in this super vibrant alien jungle environment and then hey look, it's a flat screen tv with some animated creatures on it! totally breaks the immersion.

fngoofy

So they are just going to break Frontierland?
All of a sudden we have a story that takes place in the 1920s sitting between Pecos Bill's and an 1890s mine train?

Sloppy

LittleBuford

I find the humor super funny. Love Runt. he cracks me up. Sam with Fish out of water. I also enjoy the Emperor's new groove quite a bit. was surprised that that is not more well received. but to each his own!
I too enjoy The Emperor's New Groove quite a bit, so I agree with you there. And as I said, I'm genuinely happy for you when it comes to Chicken Little, even if I personally hate it. One man's (chicken) meat is another man's poison.

Californian Elitist

It’s the one and only animated Disney film I have no desire ever to rewatch. Charmless drivel in my opinion, but I’m glad you enjoyed it!
Went to see it in theaters with family and some family friends. I happened to look over and over half of our party was not only sleeping, but they were in deep sleeps. Heads tilted way back or to the side, mouths wide open, etc.

I saw it that one time and haven’t bothered watching it again. Very uninteresting and not worth my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom