News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

UNCgolf

What stage is fear? That’s my emotion with this, I think it has massive potential but I fear we’re going to get a low budget ride full of screens with a story that makes no sense because they had to put a round peg in a square hole.

That's how I've felt since it was announced. Splash Mountain is a masterpiece, but I don't really care about the theme itself -- if I had any faith whatsoever that the PatF retheme would result in a ride of the same quality, then it wouldn't bother me. But I doubt it will be even half the ride it is right now.

Midwest Elitist

We've been in the depression stage for a whole year. Thing is, there is no actual order to the stages of grief, and they can repeat.

My coworker got hit by a car in an event that was on Chicago news. I "hit" the depression stage like 4 times.

mickEblu

It has been said before but if "Friend on the Other Side" is not on the main lift hill with chanting voodoo masks then this is a big fail in my book....

I agree. They keep talking about this being the next chapter in Tianas story so that doesn’t bode well for that song being in the ride.

EPCOT-O.G.

I doubt they are consulting ride engineers and/or designers, more likely groups like the NAACP to make sure they don’t do something wrong and accidentally step into another fiasco.

Charita Carters previous ride credit was Mickey and Minnie’s runaway railway which gives me hope and fear at the same time, I enjoy MMRR but Splash, in its current form, is infinitely better.
Interesting point. MMRR is a perfectly wonderful and delightful attraction that would stand well on its own merits but is in an unfair competition with the ride that it replaced, and against which it will always be unfavorably compared.

I worry we’ll have the same dynamic at play here. A great ride that will constantly live in the shadow of its predecessor

LittleBuford

Interesting point. MMRR is a perfectly wonderful and delightful attraction that would stand well on its own merits but is in an unfair competition with the ride that it replaced, and against which it will always be unfavorably compared.
Not necessarily. I haven’t yet experienced MMRR, but I’m pretty sure I’ll prefer it to TGMR, which I found tired and uninteresting when I last rode it (in 2017).

TheMaxRebo

I worry we’ll have the same dynamic at play here. A great ride that will constantly live in the shadow of its predecessor

I am sure to some it always will no matter how good (or not) the remake is .... Hopefully it at least gets a fair shake.

MMRR is a great ride but some will always miss TGMR, and also some will just always bring up "we replace vs add new ride?" - but something had to be done to TGMR (even if just an update) and same here (though moreso needs the theme change) so yeah, hope people can move on and enjoy it for what it is rather than be angry for what it isn't

celluloid

Not necessarily. I haven’t yet experienced MMRR, but I’m pretty sure I’ll prefer it to TGMR, which I found tired and uninteresting when I last rode it (in 2017).

Just about everything since in 2017 is tired and uninteresting compared to what it should be. Upkeep sucks.

Water stains literally dripping down the first theater tiles of Carousel of a progress and not a single rotating scrim scene operating like they
Are supposed to.
Just one example.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If only people were bold enough to boycott this attraction when it changes to send a message to Disney that this attraction is not offensive at all. There is no reason whatsoever to change something that the paying public love.
I thought one of the reasons given for *not* changing it is that the general public is unaware of the characters' connection to a clearly racist movie.

But, now, you presume the general public will be aware that the reason for the change is because of that association, but, will disagree so much with that assessment, that they will then boycott the ride featuring a Disney princess because they really, really love the B'rer characters, whose animated shorts can only be seen on bootleg YouTube videos?

Ok.

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I thought one of the reasons given for *not* changing it is that the general public is unaware of the characters' connection to a clearly racist movie.

But, now, you presume the general public will be aware that the reason for the change is because of that association, but, will disagree so much with that assessment, that they will then boycott the ride featuring a Disney princess because they really, really love the B'rer characters?

Ok.
I would say the majority of people had NO clue about SOTS either way the ride was NOT an issue for 3 decades until a social media campaign was launched and everyone felt like they had no choice but hop on the bandwagon for FOMO and Disney caved for NO reason at all.... They painted themselves into a corner and now feel they have no way out.... Ive stated numerous times if the ride was such a problem it would have been shut down immediately simple as that regardless of that causing capacity issues at MK.... yet the ride is still overly popular and i see ZERO outrage anymore about the ride... funny how that is... do we imply that anyone who dares ride this still are racist? Personally the ride is in such shambles and the lack of maintenance my guess bc the ride is heavy with AA even before the announcement Disney is partially doing this to save money in the long run. I have no issue with Tiana getting a ride but why not a brand new one along w/ maybe a nice much needed restaurant and generate a ton of money and then "retheme" splash to maybe a new series on say Disney+ and problem solved..... Obviously noone boycotting Disney bc the ride is still there and creating a PR nightmare online for them and it be the same when Tiana unfortunately replaces Splash....

Aurorafan

That's how I've felt since it was announced. Splash Mountain is a masterpiece, but I don't really care about the theme itself -- if I had any faith whatsoever that the PatF retheme would result in a ride of the same quality, then it wouldn't bother me. But I doubt it will be even half the ride it is right now.
The ride itself isnt going to change, just the theming of it.

James.Green

So happy that they're doing the re-theme. The racist connections of the old ride will finally be swept away.
Replacing a ride based on African American Folk Tales with a ride based on European Fairytales sweeps away racism??
I guess my actually history and stories are too offensive for some people so we have to replace them with safer, European versions…

Californian Elitist

Replacing a ride based on African American Folk Tales with a ride based on European Fairytales sweeps away racism??
I guess my actually history and stories are too offensive for some people so we have to replace them with safer, European versions…
Splash Mountain is based on Song of the South, which is based on the the Uncle Remus Tales, which were both appropriated and created by a white American man. Besides this, there are a few obvious differences between the two films that don’t need pointing out. :)

If Disney truly cared about correcting their decades-old mistake, they’d actually consult African and African American folklore experts, as well as historians, to get the stories and characters accurate. They’ve showed no signs of doing this, unfortunately.

EPCOT-O.G.

If Disney truly cared about correcting their decades-old mistake, they’d actually consult African and African American folklore experts, as well as historians, to get the stories and characters accurate. They’ve showed no signs of doing this, unfortunately.
How do we know these are not the "consultants" Carter mentioned in her interview?

Dear Prudence

Splash Mountain is based on Song of the South, which is based on the the Uncle Remus Tales, which were both appropriated and created by a white American man. Besides this, there are a few obvious differences between the two films that don’t need pointing out. :)

They have no interest in truly rectifying their very egregious mistakes. They would rather hurt the people whom this actually effects in ways I fear are irreversible. Nothing they have done has been ANY move to actually rectify their egregious mistakes.

Californian Elitist

How do we know these are not the "consultants" Carter mentioned in her interview?
They’re not the consultants because they’re changing the movie to PatF. No need to consult people on the Brer tales, Anansi, Adanko, etc. if they’re not moving forward with a project surrounding those stories and characters. This is a PatF ride. They’re consulting people on things like jazz music, Creole and Cajun culture/African American culture in New Orleans, etc., probably.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom