News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midwest Elitist

I know it's possibly not going to happen, but if they kept the Bluegrass instrumentation for WDW, that would probably get me to 90% over the loss of Splash. Imagine after you plunge down, you hear "Dig a Little Deeper" on a fiddle instead of Zip. Then they add the vocals and choir in the finale.

Dear Prudence

Disney’s general approach to problematic material is to quietly edit or (when that isn’t possible) bury it. Examples include the Jewish peddler in The Three Little Pigs (changed shortly after WW2 because of its anti-Semitism), Sunflower in Fantasia, and the original lyrics to “Arabian Nights”. I can’t recall a time when they’ve shone a spotlight on the issue or their addressing of it; the discourse surrounding the Splash Mountain retheme is about as close as they’ve come to being direct. That isn’t to excuse their evasive approach; I’m just not surprised by it in the same way you seem to be.
I mean, I am not surprised by it, I am only surprised that Disney Adults everyone keeps letting them get away with it.

MrPromey

By not pretending SotS doesn’t exist and owning up to the mistakes that were made. As stated before, Disney had a big hand in creating stigma surrounding the film. They won’t officially release the movie and won’t give those who’ve never seen it a chance to watch it. And now when people Google SotS, they will not only see that it’s racist, but they will find that Disney is hiding it and therefore can’t watch it (not legally, at least). That creates more tension and strengthens the stigma, when Disney could have been doing things to lessen the stigma. But they refuse. They’ve had nearly 80 years to correct the issue, but they don’t want to.
Walt Disney Treasures would have been the perfect vehicle for this - packaged and priced in a way that made clear it wasn't really targeted at children and with space for documentary-style commentary and an introduction pointing out the context - similar to what they did there with the early Mickey Mouse shorts which showed the character with a different personality and which weren't entirely family-friendly.

MrPromey

Exactly... thats why i dont buy for 1 minute that Disney was planning to remove Splash and replace it w Tiana a movie that was far from successful....

I was one of the people who went to see that movie and liked it and bought it after. While not entirely even, it had some truly gorgeous hand draw animation* in a period when, unfortunately, nobody (but me, I guess) wanted to see hand drawn animation.

I also have a soft spot for NOLA, I'll admit.

That said, I agree. It's weird that this one is taking over one of Disney's biggest e-tickets while Tangled which as mentioned, did twice as good at the box office and already had it's own animated show run only got a themed restroom, where The Little Mermaid - a certified Disney classic got... um... what it got, and Frozen, one of the biggest animated phenomenas of all time, got shoehorned into a slightly extended track added to the half-ride Malstrom in a pavilion and park it doesn't even belong in..

Not just that all of that and that it's an e-ticket but a thrill ride e-ticket with a height requirement. 🤷‍♂️

*The Dig a Little Deeper and Friends on the Other Side segments are some of the most beautiful work Disney's ever done in 2d.

Last edited:

MrPromey

If Disney does right with the ride, no one is going to care one whit how the movie did at the box office. Some of the best rides at WDW are not even based on movies at all, so not really sure why anyone is arguing that the movie matters. It doesn't. Only the ride that Disney comes up with matters at all.
Very true.

It just has to be better as a ride than what it's replacing.

That's the part that worries me with the who is making the choices today.

Disney Analyst

I was one of the people who went to see that movie and liked it and bought it after. While not entirely even, it had some truly gorgeous hand draw animation in a period when nobody wanted to see hand drawn animation.

I also have a soft spot for NOLA, I'll admit.

That said, I agree. It's weird that this one is taking over one of Disney's biggest e-tickets while Tangled which as mentioned, did twice as good at the box office only got a themed restroom, where The Little Mermaid - a certified Disney classic got... what it got, and Frozen, one of the biggest animated phenomenas of all time, got shoehorned into a slightly extended track added to the half-ride Malstrom in a pavilion and park it doesn't even belong in..

Not just that all of that and that it's an e-ticket but a thrill ride e-ticket with a height requirement. 🤷‍♂️

I personally think PatF is the one Disney IP that makes the most sense to replace Splash.

As we all know, Splash was going to be replaced either way.

PatF has great imagery, animal characters, and fantastic music/musical influence, that will fit right into the mountain.

I expect it to give as similar a vibe/feeling as the current Splash does.

Vegas Disney Fan

Very true.

It just has to be better as a ride than what it's replacing.

That's the part that worries me with the who is making the choices today.
I’m both optimistic and worried at the same time, I like the changes on Jungle Cruise (which gives me hope) but I dislike the changes on pirates (which worries me).

Hopefully the years they’ve had to design this, since the announcement, have been put to good use and we‘ll get a replacement worthy of Splash, it it’s poorly done the backlash is going to be epic.

MrPromey

I personally think PatF is the one Disney IP that makes the most sense to replace Splash.

As we all know, Splash was going to be replaced either way.

PatF has great imagery, animal characters, and fantastic music/musical influence, that will fit right into the mountain.

I expect it to give as similar a vibe/feeling as the current Splash does.

You have more faith in current leadership not to screw it up than I do. 👍

MrPromey

I’m both optimistic and worried at the same time, I like the changes on Jungle Cruise (which gives me hope) but I dislike the changes on pirates (which worries me).

Hopefully the years they’ve had to design this, since the announcement, have been put to good use and we‘ll get a replacement worthy of Splash, if it’s poorly done the backlash is going to be epic.

Do they care?

Some poor front-line cast get to hear an ear-full at guest relations from people who act like Disney has ruined their lives.

Someone comes up with a nice form response to the hate emails (which will happen, even if it's good) and who's going to stop going?

They made a rushed announcement without even really having anything designed to capitalize on a nationally covered tragedy - one that finally received some degree of closure this week.

By the time this ride opens, I think just having it open will be seen as enough for management.

I know I seem incredibly cynical but I feel like current management is every bit as cynical.

As an aside, on the subject of Jungle Cruise, it still boggles my mind that the Disneyland version lasted in it's previous form for as long as it did without at least some elements not being changed after the Florida one opened. I get ours had some troubling elements, too but boy, oh, boy. :oops:

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

You have more faith in current leadership not to screw it up than I do. 👍

If they screw this up, which I think would take a lot of effort as the IP can be translated beautifully to Splash... I will certainly never forgive them.

But I really think the team involved is invested in making this work, and I will be optimistic that they will.

MrPromey

If they screw this up, which I think would take a lot of effort as the IP can be translated beautifully to Splash... I will certainly never forgive them.

But I really think the team involved is invested in making this work, and I will be optimistic that they will.

I guess it comes down to what you consider screwing it up.

To me, screwing it up is making something that seems not at least as good/complete/rich as the original. In reality, since they're doing this to what's already one of their most popular E-Tickets, it's really got to seem better.

I'm sure the team they've tasked wants to make that happen and for many working on it, it's probably a passion project for reasons that go far beyond any fondness of the new IP but it's hard to not forget who that team works for, how modern Imagineering wastes budgets, who's approving the budgets, and how important elevating this IP and the message they are trying to send with this change really matter to those people in charge vs. feeling like they've checked a box and solved a "problem" in the parks.

Also, it's a retrofit which Disney's never had the greatest track record with.

We'll see.

I'm pessimistic but I do hope it ends up as an attraction upgrade.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

In reality, since they're doing this to what's already one of their most popular E-Tickets, it's really got to seem better.

This is probably an impossible metric to meet or get a consensus on.

Many will never see any replacement as better, so the current arguments will continue on an endless cycle.

My metric would be is the ride, as it will be at that time, succesful? Does it do its job, is it themed well, is it fun, does it immerse me?

Californian Elitist

Walt Disney Treasures would have been the perfect vehicle for this - packaged and priced in a way that made clear it wasn't really targeted at children and with space for documentary-style commentary and an introduction pointing out the context - similar to what they did there with the early Mickey Mouse shorts which showed the character with a different personality and which weren't entirely family-friendly.
I love the Walt Disney Treasures series. And I 100% agree. I bet this conversation likely came up a few times. It's a shame they would rather throw more dirt on the grave. Who knows though, maybe they'll do something with SotS in the future. It's possible.

disneyfireman

What a sad and ridiculous decision Disney made on this one.. This is like Buzzlightyear x 5 of how this will end up being a dud.

Lil Copter Cap

Entitlement over rides, nighttime spectaculars, events, and attractions really boggles my mind. It's one of the defining features that separate theme parks as living tapestries and ever-changing immersive art pieces.

At the end of the day Disney has a product that they are continually making changes to and selling. On repeat. Forever.

Also, @MisterPenguin - I just have to say that your breakdown of the ride naming was so appreciated and I know I'm late in acknowledging it, but thank you! It's exceptional.

As a break from the previous theme, "splash" and "mountain" are right out. Especially 'mountain.' It didn't make sense to call it 'mountain' the first time around.

"Falls" is problematic if the new ride has no falls. For all we know, the story of the chute could be a giant wave and not because of falling down anything. If the descent is a one-time thing in the story of the ride... then there are no falls.

Tiana = The protagonist is upfront and center, which is the intention of choosing her. Using "Princess and the Frog" in the title would be way too much considering people think TBA is already too much.​
Bayou = In place of "splash" indicating it's a wet ride, we have "bayou" indicating it's a wet ride. This is also place-setting (albeit, more important for DL than MK).​
Adventure = It's a ride. A thrilling one because of the drop. It's not Tiana's slow boat ride. It's not Tiana's restaurant or a Tiana M&G.​

The concern over the title is full of high drama despite being relatively unimportant. Is this what we can be looking forward to for the next two years. That all those who didn't want a retheme will be picking apart minutiae? To what end? Convince WDW to scrap the retheme? That ain't gonna happen.

Incomudro

I have a question, when people say 'Screens' these days. What do they mean or think will be installed?

I fully suspect the attraction will use projection mapping to expand vistas, add to the scenes, create interesting lighting / scenic dynamics. It's a modern redo, I hope it utilizes projections, it's what I expect these days. Projection technology when used correctly is STUNNING.

But I am not expecting Tiana on a screen talking to me instead of an AA.

So again, when people say "Screens" - are you saying you don't want any projection tech?

What does it mean...
I do believe that done right, technology - the use of screens and projection mapping, can make this re-do a very beautiful thing.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I'm certainly very open to that being true, I'll just be honest and say that I've never seen any reports of it being a film that's popularity has grown over time and that has hung around on DVD/Blu-ray charts and then streaming. I will say the recent SNL sketch that portrayed it as being on Disney- and in which they kept specifying things like "I am the villain from this movie" suggests I'm not the only one who has the impression this hasn't become a beloved classic over time relative to the amount Disney pushes it.

It is, though, part of the Princess franchise which does generate a lot of money in its own right, so it has that.

I should add that I'm not annoyed at the amount they push it, just that it has seemed the case to me that this is a film Disney actively wants to keep alive. By way of comparison, Zootopia was a more recent massive hit and Disney has already virtually forgotten it.
I'm in the process of watching Princess and the Frog, and I've got to say (to my surprise) I'm enjoying it a lot.
The songs, the animation, the visuals - which I'm happy to see have the potential to really bring something to this ride.
Watching the film, I can see the potential to pull this off.
I really like Facilier.
This is coming from a guy who generally doesn't want another princess feature in the parks, and doesn't want Splash rethemed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom