News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

The complaints about Tiana not fitting seem to be retroactively imposing far stricter limits in terms of geographical (and geological) accuracy than ever existed in the park. Certainly far stricter than when they added Splash Mountain in the first place.
Well said. And let’s recall that the source of many of Disneyland’s Splash Mountain animatronics—America Sings—was located in Tomorrowland of all places.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Yeah he hasn't been mentioned at all since the initial press release. I think Baxer being listed as an advisor was simply a way to shut up the "Save Splash Mountain" crowd. He probably had like one conversation where he shared some vague general ideas and nothing more.
He'll probably be rolled out to give his stamp of approval after a ride thru.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

Yeah he hasn't been mentioned at all since the initial press release. I think Baxer being listed as an advisor was simply a way to shut up the "Save Splash Mountain" crowd. He probably had like one conversation where he shared some vague general ideas and nothing more.
I agree, but just hope that he won’t be made a scapegoat if Tiana is not up to the same quality that SM is/was

Kamikaze

I think the disagreement here, though, is how strict the themes of the different lands in Magic Kingdom are in terms of representing specific times and places. To me, the genius of the model established at Disneyland is that it features a collection of themed lands broad enough to include a range of different experiences under an umbrella of, say, Adventure, the Frontier, Fantasy, and Tomorrow/the future. The complaints about Tiana not fitting seem to be retroactively imposing far stricter limits in terms of geographical (and geological) accuracy than ever existed in the park. Certainly far stricter than when they added Splash Mountain in the first place.

If anything, I think Disney has wandered too far away from this model to the other extreme of lands dedicated to one specific IP which really box them in regarding what they can add. Tomorrowland, for example, could feature Buzz Lightyear, Star Wars, Stitch, and, if it is a hit, an attraction from the new Strange World film. If Strange World is a hit, however, there's no place for it in the new 'lands' they are building such as Toy Story land, Galaxy's Edge, Pandora, Cars Land, etc.
I'm more concerned about the fact that there aren't mountains in the bayou than how the ride fits into Frontierland or Critter Country.

Californian Elitist

I'm more concerned about the fact that there aren't mountains in the bayou than how the ride fits into Frontierland or Critter Country.
As @LittleBuford pointed out, Splash Mountain is described as being set in a bayou on WDW’s website. Given that it’s been this way for many years now, I would assume that it’s likely not that big of a deal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The goal of the modern WDC as determined by CEO Bob Chapek and the board right now is to promote Disney+ and increase subscriptions while simultaneously driving parks attendance.

To be more specific: drive up attendance to the parks capacity, which is now locked at a lower capacity with the park reservation system, and even lower due to not being fully staffed. All that to make the parks run more efficiently (saving money) and giving guests a better experience (as opposed to being in an overcrowded park with not enough staff to serve everyone). And all that... to raise prices to compensate for lower capacity. At tactic which the quarterly reports are showing is working. If there is a tipping point for which they lose customers to a degree that hurts their bottom line, because of how expensive it is... they haven't found it yet.

But other than that, yes, streaming is top priority for the whole corporation.

Dear Prudence

@BuzzedPotatoHead89 said it best when they said that this all boils down to Disney+, and that's it (minus the Scrooge McDuck slander ;p ). Tiana is getting a new show on Disney+. Which is fine. I think potentially basing a ride off of a Disney+ show is daring and might be the kind of bold move/ breath of fresh air needed. I am devested from Disney, but I hope that folks enjoy it.

Smiley/OCD

If his voice and input was valued, he would have been featured in the many minutes of video released (and shot) recently, or even acknowledged in the presentation. He was not.
I think he was acknowledged only because he was the original imagineer on SM…how he really feels about the retheme we’ll probably never know. If he didn’t like it, he probably wouldn’t admit that either. I do hope he was consulted on it.

Ghost93

...you suppose.

But, it'll happen. Other PPFs don't have the red-faced Indian scene.
Oh I'm certain the Indian scene will be removed — as it should.

And I'm sure one day Peter Pan's Flight will eventually close permanently, though I still think it will be a while before that happens. I guess that attraction will probably last another 15-20 years.

tanc

Tony Baxter being announced along side just seems like Disney trying to justify the change. There is pretty much no way he has any creative direction for this. It'll certainly be interesting to see how it turns out, this ride is one of the greatest attractions ever designed by him.

Disney Glimpses

Tony Baxter being announced along side just seems like Disney trying to justify the change. There is pretty much no way he has any creative direction for this. It'll certainly be interesting to see how it turns out, this ride is one of the greatest attractions ever designed by him.
I have no doubt in their ability to make a wonderful attraction. I just wonder if they can afford their imaginations.

tanc

I wonder the financials to this as well, splash was $89 million to make in 1989. I wonder if this retheme is going to cost more than that.

Disney Glimpses

Oh I'm certain the Indian scene will be removed — as it should.

And I'm sure one day Peter Pan's Flight will eventually close permanently, though I still think it will be a while before that happens. I guess that attraction will probably last another 15-20 years.
More likely to redo it entirely with the same IP. Most likely to just address that one scene and leave it though. Not much public chatter about that attraction and that's really the driver here.

Smiley/OCD

I wonder the financials to this as well, splash was $89 million to make in 1989. I wonder if this retheme is going to cost more than that.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it costs close to that amount…considering that price tag was from scratch…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom