News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley/OCD

But isn't the problem with the Yeti and fixing him more due to his incredible size? I am sure smaller animatronics would be easier to service and repair.
My point was that the yeti was another example of a “new” AA that didn’t operate for a very long period of time. The lack of insight by TWDC to forecast the shortcomings of the framework design of the yeti is a whole other story…

FettFan

It’s happening at both 😍

Allegedly.

I find it better to not count chickens at WDW before they hatch.

Attraction-8.jpg

Especially in the aftermath of a global pandemic where the bean counters are scrambling for lost revenue and indefinitely postponing or outright canceling planned attractions.

https:///wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Untitled-design-41.png

bryanfze55

Allegedly.

Attraction-8.jpg

Especially in the aftermath of a global pandemic where the bean counters are scrambling for lost revenue and indefinitely postponing or outright canceling planned attractions.

The promise of a revised Splash Mountain is built on a very different foundation than the promise of the rest of the cancelled projects. It’s not strictly a P&L perspective. There are other forces causing Disney to feel like they have to do this. There will be PR blowback if they update it on one coast and not the other.

Tha Realest

The promise of a revised Splash Mountain is built on a very different foundation than the promise of the rest of the cancelled projects. It’s not strictly a P&L perspective. There are other forces causing Disney to feel like they have to do this. There will be PR blowback if they update it on one coast and not the other.
Maybe. It just seems that its a bad idea to do this, particularly heading into a possible recession, when your competition is vastly expanding its capacity, dropping $200-$300M on refurbing two rides (which will not increase capacity at all, and in fact diminish it for the 18 months or so they are down for reworking) while cancelling other new attractions or allowing others to barely limp along.

FettFan

We shall see.

Keep in mind that after GotG, MMRR, and Frozen were announced, each of the rides they were to replace (Energy, Great Movie Ride, and Maelstrom) were closed within months of the announcement and work began immediately.

In this case, we got a single piece of concept art released in 2020 that looked more like Thomas Kinkade’s PATF Disney Dreams painting.

prifro_533286.jpg

After a year, we got a second piece of concept art that…looked really really bad.
887D5BA8-BE1B-4980-8789-C9F64AB2F7D2.jpeg

It’s almost like they focused on the three main characters, then squeezed in the log flume as an afterthought.

And the riders are all quadruple amputees.

doctornick

Allegedly.

Attraction-8.jpg

You can add the Main Street Theater to this list as well

Disney Glimpses

I still maintain that this is definitely happening in Disneyland, but possibly not happening in WDW.

Closing down a headliner attraction for 2 years in the run up to the opening of Epic Universe, while then sieging 50-100 million+ on this just makes very little sense.

And no, they don't have to do it because they said they would. It will just be added to the growing list of dead projects...
It's financially a silly time to do this to begin with. Nonetheless, the thematic issues at WDW seem unsolvable. That being said, if you fast forward 10 years from now, both Splash Mountains will be re-themed to something else; even if it's not PATF at WDW.

Disney Glimpses

For starters. I misunderstood. Thought you meant before this decision and announcement was made that they would have replaced it…. And i do get what you are saying but as ive stated before and i think you mentioned in another thread (Genie+) regarding say a new CEO comes in. Maybe that person says this is a waste of $ to replace this attraction that has been around for 30 years w/o any issue whatsoever and just build a brand new ride attraction for Tiana elsewhere. Disney PR has spun much worse things.
Anything is possible, sure. The problem really lies in that Splash needs an extensive refurbishment. I'm not sure any CEO would go down the route of causing a PR storm by spending x millions by putting Splash in tip top shape for the next 15-20 years.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Anything is possible, sure. The problem really lies in that Splash needs an extensive refurbishment. I'm not sure any CEO would go down the route of causing a PR storm by spending x millions by putting Splash in tip top shape for the next 15-20 years.
fair point but does he want to plunk down all this money on a ride that basically cant be as successful as Splash is & lets face it will be criticized for it being a cheap overlay & im sure people who said it needed to go because of its "issues" will complain Disney didnt do Tiana justice. Hence why a proper attraction for her and a nice refurb for Splash and maybe find a way to create a new show on Disney+ i dk but im sure its possible w their magical PR division

tanc

Premium Member
Let's say Disney is aiming for sometime in 2024 as "leaked" I would say it likely means that the Disneyland Splash will be rethemed first.

It is obviously the inferior version of the ride and the first attempt. Disney also is banking that they probably will get better reception as well from it. Then begins the WDW version, which I think will be quite scary to remake. Your taking the very best version, a crown jewel, and retheming it. Botch it, and everyone will be disappointed.

Disney is also probably hoping thay the retheme goes well so Tokyo will change theirs, because if not I would suspect Disney would have to go to the drawing boards again for Tokyo. Which to me is nightmare material. Tokyo already has a prestine OG Splash, while the ones in America are falling apart. Not to mention if Tokyo doesn't do PATF they might get an exclusive retheme.

It will definitely be very interesting to see how this all will turn out.

Ghost93

Let's say Disney is aiming for sometime in 2024 as "leaked" I would say it likely means that the Disneyland Splash will be rethemed first.

It is obviously the inferior version of the ride and the first attempt. Disney also is banking that they probably will get better reception as well from it. Then begins the WDW version, which I think will be quite scary to remake. Your taking the very best version, a crown jewel, and retheming it. Botch it, and everyone will be disappointed.

Disney is also probably hoping thay the retheme goes well so Tokyo will change theirs, because if not I would suspect Disney would have to go to the drawing boards again for Tokyo. Which to me is nightmare material. Tokyo already has a prestine OG Splash, while the ones in America are falling apart. Not to mention if Tokyo doesn't do PATF they might get an exclusive retheme.

It will definitely be very interesting to see how this all will turn out.
I guess sometime this year Disney will announce a 2024 opening date for the new Splash Mountain just to give the illusion of progress and to get the media off of their backs for dragging their feet with the retheme. However, once OG Splash actually closes I think Disney will take its time with a retheme and will chock up a more realistic 2025 or 2026 opening date to "construction delays/complications/challenges."

Tha Realest

This is as good a reason as any. If it would cost 3 Mos and $15M to spruce it back up, why not just start over for something that could extend the life for many more decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom