News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

DisneyDodo

And sounds like they are literally removing one of the magic kingdom "mountains" from the lineup. or... sounds like we need to get ready for "Mardi Gras Mountain".
My choice of name would be "Splash Bayou." It retains the "Splash" of the original and replaces one geographical feature with another. Using the word "mountain" would just feel so out of place for an attraction whose location in the swamps of New Orleans is so integral to its character (I know there are no mountains in SotS either, but Chickapin Hill is close enough, and the ride's general location isn't all that important anyway). It could still maintain "Disney mountain" status without "mountain" in the name, the same way the Matterhorn, EE, and 7DMT do.

Knowing Disney marketing, they'd have to append the obligatory subtitle, so something like "Splash Bayou: Tiana's Mardi Gras Adventure"

Disney Glimpses

Why would they do that? But let's focus on the money. The new IP allows for expanded merchandise, a sequel movie, Disney+ shows, toys, toys and more toys that just wouldn't be done with the Br'er characters.

Plus, now you can put in a New Orleans style restaurant near Splash. Either the queue/gift shop/photo area can become a French Quarter or they could reimagine Pacos Bills into NO (and I go to PBs every trip to MK).

And yes it works at WDW because Frontierland is west of the Mississippi and New Orleans splits the difference between the West and Adventureland (Pirates of the Caribbean).
Wait, you think this re-theme is going to result in a net positive financially for TWDC? 😂 They aren't even going to break even on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Figments Friend

So perhaps things have changed, but last I was aware.....

Disneyland's 'original Splash Mountain' has always been the primary planned target for this 'PaTF' overlay.
Every other version is secondary.

The WDC was hoping Tokyo Disneyland would say 'yes' to having there version of 'Splash Mountain' changed into the proposed re-do, but the owners balked and told Disney to take a hike.
Tokyo said "we are not interested in changing our version, and love it just the way it is".
So a big 'NO'.
'Song of The Song' is not considered 'sensitive material' in Japan, and the characters are well known there since the film has been readily available officially for decades.

Disney was hoping to use the money Tokyo's owners would provide to finance the change to also cover some of the costs associated with the re-do for Walt Disney World's 'Splash Mountain'.
In short, use the investment to help pay for both projects.
The plan I heard was it was to be a direct cloning between the two, and re- using the same Show scenes and new figures for both Parks.
If Tokyo said yes, their money would be used to pay for designing and building the new sets and figures, with duplicates made for WDW's version.
Since Tokyo said no, I was told the chances of WDW getting the changes has dropped considerably.
Orlando doesn't want to foot the bill for the changes, even more so now that it will cost them more money since the designed and pre-fabricated sets and figures aren't being developed for Tokyo.

Disneyland in CA however is still the primary target.
Why they couldn't just clone scenes / sets / figures between the Mountains at DLR and WDW is anyone's guess...( personally, I'd rather they not....)
But of the three, Disneyland's is the more likely version to get 'changed'.

This was several months ago that i last heard about this project.
Like I said earlier, things may well have changed.
They almost always do...exspecially this early in the game.
We shall see.

I personally would rather they keep the WDW and Tokyo versions of 'Splash Mountain' as is.
I adore 'the original' at Disneyland, as it is unique...and was the very first version created.
Despite that appeal, of the three I think some folks would agree it's the 'lesser' experience.
Even Tony Baxter himself prefers the Tokyo version in comparison to 'his own' version at Disneyland.

-

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

FWIW, I was answering a question in the Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog thread but I really don't have an issue with this change. As a fan of Splash Mountain I will absolutely miss the attraction, but I understand the fuel for change. The issue I have with it is the lack of confidence I have in current leadership to do this correctly. They can absolutely do this and do this right where Splash Mountain: Tiana's Bayou Adventure Starring Figment is a step above Splash Mountain. They could also go the other way.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyDodo

1629767607737.png
1629767628915.png

Is it possible Disney plans to clone the Belle lantern animatronic for Tiana in this scene?

RSoxNo1

I'm fairly certain that is the basic plan, reskins of the BatB animatronics. They've already developed them. Beast for Louis, Human Beast for Naveen, Belle for Tiana. Saves money on R&D.
Any humidity concerns here? I know the Na'vi Shaman operates close to water but that was previously a concern.

RSoxNo1

I know nothing about anything regarding AAs. I am sure that WDI has accounted for this. Is it something they need to account for, definitely.
I'm sure they do when the original AAs were built for a water ride, I just didn't know if there were differences in the Beauty and the Beast AAs.

Disney has put some wildly impressive animatronics near water, I don't doubt their ability to do it.

owlsandcoffee

I'm sure they do when the original AAs were built for a water ride, I just didn't know if there were differences in the Beauty and the Beast AAs.

Disney has put some wildly impressive animatronics near water, I don't doubt their ability to do it.
That I'm not sure about!

Kirby86

That video is so disrespectful to all the imagineers that worked on splash mountain and America sings. Not one mention of the preservation of the America Sings AAs the last project Marc Davis ever worked on.
Yeah Disney is going to pretend that the current theme for the ride never existed if the behind the attraction show is still around when this project is finished they will gloss over the current theme if it's mentioned at all. As for this video although this is said to be for both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom it seems like the focus is mostly on Land.

Sir_Cliff

That video is so disrespectful to all the imagineers that worked on splash mountain and America sings. Not one mention of the preservation of the America Sings AAs the last project Marc Davis ever worked on.
My impression was always that Marc Davis was annoyed at Tony Baxter for using the America Sings figures in Splash Mountain. I don't think that was any happier a repurposing from his perspective than the Princess and the Frog redo is for a lot of people on here.

DCLcruiser

I think of all the concerns, the idea that the mountain exterior will suddenly clash with the rest of Frontierland is the one I understand the least. If anything, the mountain exterior is a bit of an odd fit for an attraction set in a bayou. As you say, I'm sure it will fit about as much after the redo as it does now as the changes aren't that extreme.

I also honestly hope that any re-theming to New Orleans/Louisiana happens beyond the railway track. I don't see any need to re-theme any of the existing Frontierland shops or restaurants, which I think would look a little odd if they were to leave the rest of them more or less the same.
Louisiana is supper mountainous (JK). I don't think it will ruin enough trips to make them demolish the mountain for a swamp.

I think Pacos Bill's could be redone as it takes us from the Gulf of Mexico (Pirates) and leads us West, towards Splash and Thunder Mt. Louisiana leads to the West.

Wait, you think this re-theme is going to result in a net positive financially for TWDC? 😂 They aren't even going to break even on it.
Do you mean the cost to re-theme will be so great that it's a write-off?

Or do you mean that Tiana can't bring in enough revenue?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom