Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW Pro

Not arguing your point but isn't Disney burying its head in the sand when it comes to having a park in Shanghai?

Listen, you're not supposed to bring up the coziness with a totalitarian nation that supports slave labor. Remember, the African American Male winning the oscar telling African folklore mythos was part of a racist, evil, anti-black movement. Stick to the woke talking points.

The_Jobu

I have provided an example of elements in Splash Mountain that are offensive to me in previous posts. You not being offended doesn't mean someone else cannot be. And before the rebuttal of ppl are too sensitive is spoken...what right do you have to tell someone how to feel? Just saying.

I'm not telling anyone how to feel at all, I'm waiting for someone to say one offensive thing about Splash Mountain. I'm genuinely curious, what was your example earlier?

The_Jobu

Listen, you're not supposed to bring up the coziness with a totalitarian nation that supports slave labor. Remember, the African American Male winning the oscar telling African folklore mythos was part of a racist, evil, anti-black movement. Stick to the woke talking points.

Dont tell them about how they shrunk John Boyega on the Chinese posters...

That's a different business decision.

SteamboatJoe

I have provided an example of elements in Splash Mountain that are offensive to me in previous posts. You not being offended doesn't mean someone else cannot be. And before the rebuttal of ppl are too sensitive is spoken...what right do you have to tell someone how to feel? Just saying.
I actually have known of people to be offended by the voodoo in PATF because of their religion. I personally think that is extreme but how should this issue be handled in the re-theme, if at all?

WDW Pro

(Emphasis mine.)
You just can't do that though. You can't wave a wand and pretend something doesn't have context.
So long as it maintains the current theme, the ride will always be associated with the film and a whitewashed version of black history. To an extent, it will carry that association even afterward. It will still be the ride that Disney had to re-design. The question is really: How much change is enough to properly address the issue? For a theme park ride, I'd wager a redesign is probably enough.

I'm offended by Cinderella Castle. It represents the feminine need for a masculine savior, and supports the superiority of a ruling class over the masses.

Can we burn Cinderella Castle to the ground now?

RCID

So when people go into the German Pavilion do people immediately think about that period from 1933-1945 and get offended or do they look at entirety of German culture and enjoy it for what has been presented?
This is another one that needs to be removed if this is the way we handle these things...

SteamboatJoe

I appreciate you wanting to engage with my post but please don't tarnish it with rhetoric.

orlandogal22

I rode it and loved it. I didn't recognize it was offending people. If it is, then I have no problem with Disney making this decision. For Disney, it's a business decision, and they made it with all the implications that come with that. They decided it was worth whatever negatives there were with replacing it. I'd prefer not to offend people, and any sense of loss I have over the ride changing is eclipsed by that.

Thank you for your honest answer.

But, my point was toward someone I had direct-quoted and asked not once, not twice, but three times.

21stamps

I'm offended by Cinderella Castle. It represents the feminine need for a masculine savior, and supports the superiority of a ruling class over the masses.

Can we burn Cinderella Castle to the ground now?

This is exactly what I was saying earlier.. we need to bulldoze the entire park down ,and have nothing but robots if we never wish to find offense in anything.

_caleb

The only people who get offended are those who are looking to be offended. The point of the ride is to have fun and Disney was successful with Splash. I agree they can change it to something else and it will still be fun. My point is that the average guest doesn't give a hoot about the racial implications of the ride, because quite frankly they aren't looking for them. We are talking about a movie that the majority of guests haven't seen. So they have no preconceived context entering the ride. My kids didn't even know it was based on a movie. My kids have no clue about black voice stereotypes from the 1940's. Most people don't get off the ride thinking about race.
What if your perspective is limited and your experience is not universal? When neighbors say, "This hurts me!" what if, instead of insisting "No, it doesn't!", we listened and responded by changing the hurtful thing so that the parks are fun for everyone?

That's the approach Disney makes with guests all the time. Able-bodied people never had a problem with curbs on Main Street or stairs in the Space Mountain priority access queue, but those things really hurt the experience of people with limited mobility (a "small minority" to be sure). Disney spent a lot of money to change these sorts of things (sometimes voluntarily, sometimes by force of legal action). After a minor inconvenience to park guests, the result is that the fun is accessible to more people.

I get that you're not offended by the association between Splash Mountain and Song of the South. Lots of people aren't. But some are, and Disney sees fit to address it now. We can (and will!) disagree with their proposed solution (Princess and the Frog overlay), but can you see how these kinds of changes can result in a better experience for all?

Or at least recognize that Disney is trying to sell access to its art and being associated with racism is dangerous to their business.

ImperfectPixie

is this cancel culture or accountability.
This is cancel culture. Erase anything that anyone anywhere could possibly be offended by. It is not growth. It is not progress. It's erasure.

All I know is, if me, xdan, Jobu, and ImperfectPixie are all in agreement on the same subject, then... we must have the correct opinion. ;)
I don’t think that has ever happened before.

...or it’s just another crazy day in the year 2020. 😂
RIGHT?!? I don't think the four of us have EVER agreed on anything all at the same time.

You can't just ignore the movie. It's quite literally based on it. Even if they don't have any portrayals of the problematic aspects inside the ride, there are still issues. People are way more informed than they used to be. Many people already know the story behind the ride. Of those that don't, everyone knows Disney rides are almost all based on movies. Anyone that so much as google's the ride is immediately going to find out about the source. Disney can't just bury their head in the sand and pretend like things don't have context.

And yeah, the animatronics were largely recycled from the 'America Sings' ride when it closed.
Ummm...people are more informed about some things and less informed about others. The Lincoln statue in Boston being under attack even though it was paid for by freed slaves is a perfect example. The Brer characters and stories are from African folklore - and have been adapted all over the world in 14 languages.

Erasing everything from our past that people might be offended by would result in a wasteland. There will come a point at which society will have no choice but to accept that no culture in the world is guilt-free, and that history is riddled with cultures being horrible to one another.

WDW Pro

What if your perspective is limited and your experience is not universal? When neighbors say, "This hurts me!" what if, instead of insisting "No, it doesn't!", we listened and responded by changing the hurtful thing so that the parks are fun for everyone?

That's the approach Disney makes with guests all the time. Able-bodied people never had a problem with curbs on Main Street or stairs in the Space Mountain priority access queue, but those things really hurt the experience of people with limited mobility (a "small minority" to be sure). Disney spent a lot of money to change these sorts of things (sometimes voluntarily, sometimes by force of legal action). After a minor inconvenience to park guests, the result is that the fun is accessible to more people.

I get that you're not offended by the association between Splash Mountain and Song of the South. Lots of people aren't. But some are, and Disney sees fit to address it now. We can (and will!) disagree with their proposed solution (Princess and the Frog overlay), but can you see how these kinds of changes can result in a better experience for all?

Or at least recognize that Disney is trying to sell access to its art and being associated with racism is dangerous to their business.

How noble. Now can we get rid of Cinderella Castle? Many of us are offended and it has a controversial, sexist past.

_caleb

It's interesting to me that some who have shouted the loudest in agreement with this change cannot answer a simple yes / no question if they ever stood in the hot Florida sun to ride the ride on their many visits to WDW.
I haven't been shouting in agreement, but I have expressed support for the change. Yes, I have stood in the hot Florida sun (and a surprisingly cool Florida "winter") to ride Splash Mountain. I've been on DL's Splash more times than I can count. I always found the ride to be well done and very fun. I still find the ride's enduring connection to Song of the South to be a good reason to change the theme/story of the ride.

dolbyman

Frozen is awful. Maelstrom was far better, they should have just plussed it.

I really liked Mealstrom but it was outdated, the postshow theater movie was just propped open (we were the only ones watching it). And the attraction itself was also no that crazy busy.

Frozen on the other hand was crazy busy on our last couple of trips.. So from a business standpoint it made sense (lots of extra visitors just for that attraction alone).. and I have to say i love the animatronics ..

The question if Disney IP should be added all over Epcot is another one. I think when EPCOT was new(80s,90s), people had a much harder time to find out about innovation, discoveries and distant countries. Now everything is at your fingertips (literally).

Do I like EPCOT losing it's futuristic educational vibe ? No!
Do I understand Disneys decision to do it ? Yes!

Anyways.. sorry for drifting away from the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom