Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessNelly_NJ

There are no insiders saying what you've stated. It's a provable lie. Splash mountain literally just had a new track installed that will have to be adjusted yet again because it wasn't designed for the incoming alterations.
How do you know this? The track will likely stay the same with the set pieces changing.

SpoiledBlueMilk

I'm super concerned with only Tiana and Lious being mentioned in the press release. Does that mean only two audio animatronics? Or Aas with the scary projection faces. I'm also concerned it takes place after the movie which means no shadow man or ray! Wondering what the plot will be?!
Yep - that's my concern. Just remove all of the animatronics and theming to replace it with two new "cutting edge" animatronics and a whole lot of screens to replace the in-ride atmosphere.

lebeau

Yet three years after the final release of the film... they opened the ride. How does this say they knew the ride had problematic elements?? They knew continuing to release the movie was not what they wanted to do... yet they came up with a ride with theming and elements that focused on morals.
What is outrageous is this was a hastily thrown together and announced plan shortly after an online petition to retheme it was picked up in the news a few weeks ago. There was far more fervor & demand for Disney to act recently on issues such as letting the Yeti rot in one position without a fix, yet a small number of bandwagon petition signers and fears of opening day bad press shift the Mouse redesign two existing rides??

They knew there were problems. They made a conscious decision to omit Uncle Remus from the ride for that specific reason. They thought at the time that would be sufficient.

So your concern is with Disney's lack of thoughtful planning? The fact that you perceive this as hasty outweighs any potential benefits of inclusion in your mind? You're willing to dismiss other people's concerns out of hand because.... Yeti?

Touchdown

^Um no, Dr Faclier is not part of that trope, that trope is about a poor black man appearing out of no where and helping the white protagonist out of the goodness of his heart and then disappearing from the film. Watch Legend of Bagger Vance for the perfect example.

Dr Facilier is the antagonist of the film and is clearly out to serve only himself. He actually is a dark reflection on Tiannas singular mindset in the early film, until she learns to lean on her family and take time to smell the roses.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'm quite a ways skimming through that thread, and so far all i see is political discussion. I'm looking for details about what sort of scenery the ride will use (how dense the sets will be, physical vs projections) and whether the ride will still retain a similar quantity and quality of animatronic figures. Is any of this addressed by insiders in the thread?

Nothing from insiders but we can assume they'll be projections and a downgrade of physical sets and AAs.

I'd look at who's spearheading the refresh. That would clue us in as to what to expect. Opinions being what they are; I'm expecting something like Navi River Journey but with a giant showboat at the end and obligatory fireworks in the distance! Screens for areas where they can't afford AAs and the removal of 2/3rd of the AAs because they don't align with the art style of P&F. 50 million (if number is accurate) doesn't go very far these days.

Last edited:

RoysCabin

I don't know why Song of the South gets so much heat, while others remain unscathed. No one is clamoring to get rid of the Dumbo or Peter Pan rides. Despite the racism it shows towards African and Native Americans in their movies.
I'm pretty sure this was brought up earlier, but while those particular scenes in those movies get called out plenty, the core of the narratives of the entire films aren't build around them. If you ask someone to provide a basic plot synopsis and setting of Dumbo or Peter Pan, the crow and tribe scenes likely don't even enter the equation, whereas a synopsis of Song of the South has a much harder time avoiding the historical setting it is presented in and the choice made to show a positive depiction of it.

Again, I think the vast majority of us don't want any of these films done away with, just presented with greater context, but while some might not find it fair I think in the eyes of the general public it's more a matter of degree: one can choose to watch Dumbo or Peter Pan and simply skip the scene they find unsavory in each, while doing so for Song of the South is much more difficult.

Last edited:

Kman101

ToT was popular too, that didn't exempt it from being re-themed.

I'm not saying it should stop or shouldn't happen. Don't make my post about something it wasn't about.

Splash wasn't popular just because it was a water ride but whatever makes all of you feel better. Some of us know guest feedback, do you? I'm not saying either way that it should or shouldn't be re-themed.

I'm beyond thrilled Tiana is getting an attraction.

Last edited:

Ellen Ripley

Here is a 6 part podcast series about the problems with the story. It is extremely well researched.

How is the storyline racist?

Also, Here is the Splash Mountain specific episode. I encourage you all to listen.

celluloid

^Um no, Dr Faclier is not part of that trope, that trope is about a poor black man appearing out of no where and helping the white protagonist out of the goodness of his heart and then disappearing from the film. Watch Legend of Bagger Vance for the perfect example.

Sounds like Ray with his stereotypical cajun voice or Mama Odie to me.

_caleb

Exactly. On a similar note, I liken this to people who vehemently trash SeaWorld Orlando and the state's zoological parks, then turn a blind eye to the dolphins and other sea creatures at the Living Seas and argue it's OK because it's Disney and then basically hand over their paychecks to DAK while visiting the animals. Bottom line is - inconsistency. Other bottom line - people get offended by what they want to get offended by, or what's politically expedient at the moment; often what the bandwagon idea is.
I actually think the SeaWorld example is a good one. The Blackfish film changed public perception of the park is a major way. Disney wants to avoid something like this happening to them.
I have before but that’s irrelevant. The fact that it’s there is what’s important. I would have never even known the disclaimer on Disney+ was there if the media didn’t report on it, as it’s in a tiny font.

View attachment 479471

My question still stands. If it’s good enough for movies, why not attractions?
I think it’s because, in a sense, a film *was produced at a point in time, but a theme park attraction is seen as *still being produced while it’s still open to guests.

PrincessNelly_NJ

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also, Here is the Splash Mountain specific episode. I encourage you all to listen.

Thanks but no thanks.

Touchdown

Sounds like Ray with his stereotypical cajun voice or Mama Odie to me.

Ray is a alligator and is repaid for him helping the protagonist at the end of the story by playing in her nightclub and having his dream come true so no.

Mama Odie comes closer but seeing as Tiana is black invalidates the trope, she is another trope the “old sage” like Obi Won in a New Hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom