Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamboatJoe

Excited yet gutted. As someone who was born after the final public showings of Song of the South, Ive never associated the ride with the movie. I know the controversies make this a wise decision, but the loss of the nostalgia of splash mountain saddens me. RIP laughin place.

Same. For me, the ride's story was simply that of a restless country bumpkin rabbit and a couple of mean, idiotic predators.

A PATF ride isn't a bad idea at all but neither was M&MR or Mission Space. Just horrible execution.

milordsloth

Well now I'm extra glad I'll be able to experience the WDW version next month for my first time! Splash at Disneyland has always been my favorite ride.

JustInTime

Except that the right that is "considered" racist isn't, you know, ACTUALLY racist.
True. But it will forever be tied to a movie that IS inherently and unapologetically racist. The talk of the ride needed to be changed would never, ever end. I hate it but it’s time. I’ll miss it but I also will embrace whatever else comes out of this. PATF is a wonderful film so we will see.

M:SpilotISTC12

I can't wait to see whats going to become of Tom Sawyer Island! Maybe we can an expansion of Star Wars like in Disneyland! I'm ready for a whole new corner of MK. There sure is a lot of space in Frontierland, Liberty Square and west side of Fantasyland! This is going to be awesome! Hopefully it'll be done by WDW 55th!

PrincessNelly_NJ

Those examples definitely aren't going to resonate with theme park fans. Both of those changes were tragic in their own ways. In both cases themed entertainment took a back-seat to IP and budgets.

Frozen should have gotten its own ride and left Maelstrom alone... ditto with Railway and GMR.
Ehhh the average disney guest is definitely rating those two rides well above GMR & Maelstrom.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Never thought I'd disagree with you, @marni1971, but here we are. Glad there's room for that.

The current social climate (especially in the USA) has everyone reflecting on enduring symbols of racism. Disney seems to have identified this as one and is acting accordingly. I do love the current ride, but the storyline is a weak retcon of the racist original story.
How is the (ride) storyline racist?

Last edited:

jmp85

Never thought I'd disagree with you, @marni1971, but here we are. Glad there's room for that.

The current social climate (especially in the USA) has everyone reflecting on enduring symbols of racism. Disney seems to have identified this as one and is acting accordingly. I do love the current ride, but the storyline is a weak retcon of the racist original story.

Way to find a way to be offended by everything.

SoupBone

What in the actual hell is racist about the Splash Mountain ride? It only contains certain pieces of the movie to begin with?

Mouse3268

I'm more sad and angry since Splash Mountain was one of the last attractions that had good looking AAs that still hold up well.

Compared this from modern Disney attractions (in the US)
5_11_DCA_02097-ariel-56a387365f9b58b7d0d272bf.jpg

little-mermaid-ariels-undersea-adventure-gallery01.jpg

Little-Mermaid-Ride-589e2a473df78c4758e76354.jpg

To this from the 80s
3472887109_99856a26dc_b-1024x819.jpg

olknvbcgfdrsew3.jpg

tokyo-disneysea-0965-640x408.jpg

I'm guessing that many/most of the Splash Mountain animatronics will remain, outside of the identifiable characters.

DisneyCane

SMDH. There was absolutely nothing racist or stereotypical about the RIDE at all. It didn't include any human character of any kind.

But, whatever, if they want to ruin a great ride to please the woke crowd (99.999% of whom wouldn't know what "Song of the South" was if asked), they can do what they want. Now that they've agreed to do this, I'm sure the PC police research division will find some obscure reference in another ride that makes it unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom