Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brer Oswald

In all sincerity, allies of a movement are supposed to listen and support. Not lead, and not pick fights. The first time you heard from them that SM was a problem, that was the time to ask a lot a questions and understand as best you can. And even if you didn't, to bow out of that area of 'the fight.'
I did ask questions. I already knew a lot, but I was reminded of some things. And while most of the black influencers were adamantly against the film, they were also against changing the ride. @BrerCountry ’s thread is enough for me to say that Splash isn’t the problem. You’re free to flip flop and believe whatever the mob tells you, but I’m sticking with how I feel.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
WDW Magic moderators need to be better than this. I see posts defending the retheme disappearing, but you’re allowing many, many posts like this to remain.

Your board and your rules, but if WDW Magic moderators have taken the stance that racially-charged posts like this can remain — perhaps because they want to support only the “Save Splash Mountain” side — at least be honest about it.
If you take offence to a post, report it.

You can’t possibly be expecting two or three mods to be policing this thread 24/7. There are more than 2600 posts in this thread alone - all in less than 13 hours.

UNCgolf

What happens to the plantation section of Port Orleans? Bulldoze it? Retheme it to match/extend French Quarter? Because there's no way they can keep it and have any credibility. That will not be an inexpensive undertaking.

It's only a few buildings (4 I think); most of Port Orleans Riverside doesn't look like what you're imagining.

With that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with the buildings. Although that style of architecture (mainly Greek Revival) is associated with the antebellum south, it's not something that exclusively existed there.

brb1006

You are forgetting the 'Epcot 25th Anniversary' event.
That only happened because of a post made on this Forum in 2007 that snowballed into a fan movement so massive, it changed Disney's attitude completely around.

Google 'Epcot 25th ' or 'Celebration 25'.

All happened because of one post made here by a certain purple dragon.

-
Somebody needs to create a 21st century version of the "Save Mr. Toad" campaign but changed to "Save Splash Mountain". Complete with shirts and a website.

Here's photos during the "Save Mr Toad" period.
mrtoad_wdwpostcard.gif

fronthalf.jpg

bigsplash.jpg

NCHGG67AJJCXLEHJEJI5KN6ZUE.jpg

Save%20Toad%20T-Shirt%20%28c%29%20savetoad%20dot%20com.jpg

getalong.gif

Brer Oswald

This is probably the most worthless I’ve felt in a long time
Hey, it’s okay. I know it hurts, but it really is just a ride. What the ride did for you will never go away. And a lot of the great things about the ride (ie. the music, the characters) will be preserved one way or another through the Internet.

Don’t let anyone tell you you’re racist for caring about this. The people that are doing this need an outlet to make themselves feel superior, and if something they liked was being attacked, they’d be defending it 10X more toxic than we are.

Club Cooloholic

This is probably the most worthless I’ve felt in a long time
Jokes aside, this breaks my heart seeing this kind of post, and this thread has been littered with people proclaiming extreme anger or sadness over this whole thing. Being invested too emotionally in something you have no control over is never a good thing. Peoples favorite trees can die, mountain faces have cracked and changed. This is a ride, that a corporation owns. Nobody is being physically hurt by this changing, look at it as progress or if the change stinks another reason to find a new vacation spot.
Too many people get way too nostalgic over Disney, in honestly an unhealthy way. Invest the feelings in people you love, things you can control like your work, your physical pursuits.
And if feeling as low as some say please honestly reach out for help.

MuteSuperstar

It's only a few buildings (4 I think); most of Port Orleans Riverside doesn't look like what you're imagining.

With that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with the buildings. Although that style of architecture is associated with the antebellum south, it's not something that exclusively existed there.

I've stayed there many times, it's still a pretty large section of the resort. Maybe they can get away with it by removing references to "antebellum" and "old South" in the literature.

disneygeek90

Hey, it’s okay. I know it hurts, but it really is just a ride. What the ride did for you will never go away. And a lot of the great things about the ride (ie. the music, the characters) will be preserved one way or another through the Internet.

Don’t let anyone tell you you’re racist for caring about this. The people that are doing this need an outlet to make themselves feel superior, and if something they liked was being attacked, they’d be defending it 10X more toxic than we are.
Attractions move on for many reasons. I know it's not always easy, I loved GMR. I would go every single time I was in DHS. I would probably put Splash in my top 5 at WDW.

I have a Mickey/GMR cel print, the GMR marquee sign as well as the farewell Tumbler cup. Yeah, I miss it. Even after experiencing MMRR I don't know if it was quite worth it. But things will go on. Luckily video quality is excellent these days and if I want to relive it, it's only a quick YouTube search away.

UNCgolf

I've stayed there many times, it's still a pretty large section of the resort. Maybe they can get away with it by removing references to "antebellum" and "old South" in the literature.

Yeah, it's that one whole section. Those buildings are larger than the ones themed differently, but there are way more of the other buildings. Didn't they already remove most (if not all) of those references? If not, I'm guessing they will pretty soon.

Incidentally, two of the four buildings are exclusively Royal Guest Rooms (at least I think they are), which feature Tiana/Princess and the Frog pretty heavily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom